What game are you playing?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mark520, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I have this feeling I’m going to fall off of Destiny 2 soon. Between being a college student again, raising my son, work, and pushing myself to write some more music, I’ve fallen so far behind my clan mates that it feels like they’ll move on by the time I catch up. They’ve all been level 50 and power level 500 for like a week, I’m still level 39 and power level 408. I have such a back catalogue of games that I feel whatever gaming time I have, I’d rather just finish those games up.

For example, I may go hard on Yakuza this weekend. I’m chapter 11 in 6 which I’m guessing I’m near the end, then I’ll go back and finish up 0, and then Kiwami and Kiwami 2 are sitting on my shelf.

2. Gravy Train

Gravy Train SS.org Regular

Yeah, I can see that. I almost exclusively prefer open world games as nowadays. I just love the freedom and choices you can make within the sandbox.

3. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

They're nice every now and then, but not when every Ubisoft sandbox game being released twice or thrice a year are all designed and played like that. The supposed freedom is favored over structural progress, but that freedom is just a bunch of unconnected events, repetitive challenges and tower climbing. It becomes a long mundane checklist rather than immersive gaming.

Granted that I don't really play Ubisoft games (I've had Assassin's Creed 4 for years but still haven't unwrapped it), but my favorite sandboxes have at least some 'character'. Saints Row 2-4 and Just Cause 2 are still my favorite sandboxes. And I suppose the Yakuza games count here, and they too are plagued with the unconnected sidequests that lessen the urgency of the plot, but these games mentioned add their own interesting factor that give better incentive to play rather than just scratching the completionist itch.

I do tend to play a non sandbox game right after one because of that. Except the Yakuza series, I'm willing to visit Kamurocho as many times as Sega makes games in that setting. :lol:

synrgy likes this.
  4. Bloody_Inferno

For the retro gamers, has anybody played this yet?

Abobo's Big Adventure

It's a free fan made parody game starring that big ugly dude from Double Dragon. I saw a let's play of the whole game and it's pretty freaking epic.

LeviathanKiller and synrgy like this.
  5. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

Beat me to it.

I often feel like 'sandbox' is worse than 'linear': I'm just the Whole World's Gopher, because.. Reasons? In a (game) World populated by thousands of (npc) people, they all ignore each other for their needs, instead thinking that I, exclusively, can/will assist them with whatever inane game of fetch they've concocted.

I've just been playing too long, I guess, but everything feels the same, at this point: "Go get a new 'quest'; complete the 'quest'; rinse, repeat."

6. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

Looks legit!! I was already giggling by this point, but really lost it when I saw Jaws with a friggin' laserbeam strapped to his friggin' head.

The NES Jaws game, by the way? A buddy and I spent ages on it and could never beat that effing shark. Haven't thought about it in decades, but I'm getting all anxious just now. :lol:

7. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

ha , that looks amazing

8. Bloody_Inferno

Going back to the sandboxes I like. One of the biggest strengths of Saints Row is that it understands that the first incentive of the player thrown in a large sandbox is to abuse the freedom for all it's worth. The character avatar you choose has as much fun as you do, while also surprises you with his reactions. He or she is the perfect sandbox character.

In the case of Just Cause, it's nothing but causing chaos and destruction in laughably cheesy 80s action format. It sounds shamelessly banal, but it's blatant mindless fun in it's purest form. And there's A LOT to obliterate, and the grappling hook mechanics keep things both interesting and creative.

I recently banged on about Yakuza's town(s) are so rich in lore despite it's tiny size and barely changes over the course of 7 or 8 games, but it's one of the few sandboxes that makes you invest in the history and locale. Doing some of the overabundant minigames, dating some hostesses or beat a few guys up and you get to know the people and their backstories. They all have their live problems, often asking the player for help, often ending with you curb stomping somebody's jaw (this is a game about yakuzas after all). Yakuza games do get samey and often taunting you to go full 100% completionist insane, but it's the little stories of each subquest that embraces you as part of this zany city.

That and no other sandbox has karaoke. Sleeping Dogs does, but nowhere near as wild and insane as this:

Seriously I can listen to Goro Majima all day. I WILL buy his album at some point. :lol:

Ralyks likes this.
  9. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I played one of the Saints Row games for a while. I just remember it being funnier and a much more fun, varied GTA than San Andreas and earlier. (This was well before GTA V came out. I don't remember which entry it was, though. 3?)

I didn't know Yakuza Dead Souls had anything other than zombie killing. I am sure that one's not getting ported, unfortunately! The karaoke in those games is so good conceptually but the timings are all f'd up, they just don't feel right and if you're getting all the button presses perfect according to their scoring, the sound still is really off (just listen to the first half of that vid!!). Still, the back half of that vid is awesomely awful. An album of that would be something, alright.

10. Bloody_Inferno

Got to the point in Yakuza 0 where where most of the side stuff is either done or I'm bored of wallowing in, so I just straight up finished the story mode. Not going to bother with post game muckabouts as they're either trivial grind or challenges I can't be assed. I did beat Okita in the dance batter so there's that I suppose.

Overall very satisfying, as with every Yakuza game I've played. They eat up so much of my time thanks to the long term investment. Though personally, I was a little disappointed with Majima's conclusion. Maybe I was expecting his transformation to be much more crazier. Being the insane eyed loon he's known for, I couldn't help but feel that the ending of his arc is rather anti climactic. But it is what it is.

I suppose I can FINALLY start Nier Automata or Final Fantasy XV, but with the weekend sale I ended up buying Yakuza 6 and Kiwami 1 and watching them download as I type this. :lol: My gaming time may be stuck in Kamurocho for a while....

11. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Funny you should mention this -- sometime around 1990 when I was just a kid I was at a friend's house who had Jaws. After about a week to learn the ropes, I was making what I thought was good progress (as you know, Jaws pops up whenever, so on some level it would seem like you could beat the game whenever / nonsequential), when she had to leave for a lesson or something. So I'm alone in her house, playing NES. Her mom comes home, hears some noise, asks if anyone is there. I'm too scared, keep shooting at Jaws in silence. She comes down, opens the door, sees me, throws me out -- not allowed in her house again. Never played Jaws again.

Then this past Thanksgiving I was spending it with a college friend explaining this story and how the game kind of still haunts me that I was never able to beat it, even though I had gotten Jaws' health down a fair bit. So the Thanksgiving theme became beating these old games from our childhood that were too much for us then. I did Jaws in about 2 hours -- the hardest part is after you beat him, you have to scare him out of the water and stab him with the boat in this way that has to be perfectly timed (in a non-obvious way -- if you time it perfectly based on common sense and what you expect in terms of watching the pixels bash into each other, that's not the correct timing). It is just pure trial and error overcoming shoddily coded game mechanics. You get 3 tries, and then have to do it all over again. Anyway, beat it, super weak ending sequence. Can move on with my life!

synrgy likes this.
  12. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

recently got into destiny 2. story is super meh and boring. Enemies feel verrrry reminiiscent of the covenant/flood from halo (legion=brutes, fallen=elites, robots=robots, flood=infested). I can't resist a good loot whore game though, the shooting feels good and keeps the whole skinner box cycle going. PvP is surprisingly faster paced than I was expecting.

13. NotDonVito

NotDonVito SS.org Regular

Black Ops 4 BR beta. It's really fun, but runs like poop on my PC : (

14. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

Well, that's not unusual for a CoD title on PC. lol

15. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

PLAY NIER AUTOMATA, and play all 3 endings, immediately!!! The third playthrough is one of the best experiences I've ever had with a videogame. I hate the word epic, but it really is when combined with the score, which is easily my favorite in game history. I get chills just thinking about how Wretched Weaponry's full-blown version combines with what's going on at that point in the game.

Make sure you DON'T do all the side missions before the post-game, the game is really easy to outlevel and make the bosses die way too quickly if you do. You'll get a lot more out of the gameplay if you skip most of them on your first 3 playthroughs IMO.

Yakuza 6 is a frustrating conclusion to the series IMO. I did not like how it was supposed to be the capper for the series yet primarily focuses on some dinguses that are introduced in it while the characters we care about are forced offscreen the whole time until the very end. Also get used to leveling through eating food, if you haven't played Kiwami 2 yet!! Kiwami 2 is a much more polished version of the gameplay in 6. Kiwami 1 is good, but get ready for one of the most infuriating bosses you can imagine towards the end. I watched a vid recently that was going through the most difficult bosses in the series (most of which I've never played), and that guy ended up #1 for the whole series, so fair warning!! I think I turned it down to easy for him, and I was still swearing nonstop. #2 on that list was the secret final boss in 6, who is a lot more skill-based and kind of awesome.

16. Bloody_Inferno

Naturally. :lol: It's been on my too priority list for so long since I briefly played it with a friend a while back. And I've practically done everything about the game aside from actually playing the damn thing. Enough delays.

I did briefly play chapter 1 of Kiwami during Nier's installation. Bad move. Immediately after finishing 0 I felt like I never stopped. So Kamurocho gets to take a break in favor of the Drakengard universe.

17. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

ehh I'd say they're actually pretty good about optimizing the games. the beta runs well for me. unless you run an absolute potato rig you should be able to run most cod games. Battlefield on the other hand... I had to upgrade to a 970 from a 720 gtx to even play BF4/BF1. I swapped that for a 1080 and it just smashes every game I play, especially because I only play in 1080p :lol:

18. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

Seems like they're always a turd on release date though. Things smoothen up shortly after but still. Infinite Warfare was unplayable for many on PC initially, IIRC.

19. ramis

ramis SS.org Regular

I like to play Battlefield and this year should come out Battlefield V. There will be a new game mode - a battle royale. What do you think?

20. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I second the immediate playing of Nier:Automata, and I'm only halfway through playthrough 2.

I'm grinding through the Barons in Destiny 2 Forsaken slowly, basically one a night. Keeps me from losing interest, but still sucks that I'm so far behind the rest of my clan.