What game are you playing?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mark520, Jun 10, 2011.

1. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

more time on SF collection and my execution has improved, gone from completely horrible to somewhat less shit .its pretty weird on the thumb stick.

been mostly on third strike. just arcade mode leaning characters . fucking Gill man . cheap fuck . still haven't beaten him

2. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

This past weekend, finally got to 999 moons on Mario Odyssey, Darker side beat and 100% everything except stupid costumes. But I'm done. I'm not farming 41,000 in coins to get the rest of the costumes I need. Time for a break!

StevenC likes this.
  3. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I reached a weird point in Okami the other day - there was this big build up and then a boss, at about 20hrs into the game. You beat the boss and then everyone goes into celebration mode, but no credits happened. I was completely unsure if this was the end of the game or not. But it was convincingly ending-like that I saved and stopped playing for the day. Later googled it and discovered I'm only like a third of the way through. Such a weird narrative issue. Still enjoying the game though.

4. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Yeah, it's one of the more glaring flaws of the game. Kill the ultimate evil boss and save the day, the go off and kill the ultimate evil boss boss next door and do that again another 3 more times.

Its the sort of constantly bolting on new stuff onto itself method of expanding gameplay common in retro games. In smaller older games like Soul Blazer it sort of worked in a stage structured way but in a large not quite open world of Okami, it is a long slow spiral road with some widdle breaks.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  5. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Yeah, you said you were 20 hours in and I immediately thought "wait, I heard Okami was like 40 hours minimum" :lol: I definitely need to go back to Okami, buuutt...

.... Yakuza 6 is so good....

6. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I definitely had the same thought.... "can't possibly be done here". Oh well.

7. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
    Started playing Witcher 3 for the 4th or 5th time again... Love this game far too much.

Metropolis likes this.
  8. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

MGS4:Guns of the Patriots

Really got into TPP after getting it free one month on PSN so i scooped the MGS legacy collection and fired up the ol' PS3. Really been enjoying 4 so far, i guess ima work my way backwards.

StevenC likes this.
  9. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

started playing Dead Cells, it's a pretty fast paced metroidvania/roguelike

10. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Guess that depends on your definition of working backwards. MGS4 is pretty much the end of the story chronologically.

11. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Playing rogue legacy. Or “how to stop worrying and love the farm”.

12. HeavyMetal4Ever

HeavyMetal4Ever SS.org Regular

It's for sure an all time hall of famer. I am really hoping to hear more about Cyberpunk 2077 at E3. CD Project Red are the best devs in the business at the moment imho.

13. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

Lol, good point.

14. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

That's a pretty bold claim when they haven't released a game in over 3 years and, you know, Nintendo still exists.

15. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

He said "one of the best," considering their track record and lack of being absorbed and destroyed by the likes of EA or Activision (yet) it's absolutely a fair statement. Who else would you rate above them? Naughty Dog and Nintendo are the only two "gimmes" I can think of who'd be "one of the best," but I'm no expert on all of this.

16. Bloody_Inferno

I love how you feel the need to white knight Nintendo at any given moment by comparing everything else beneath them. You did it a few posts ago too. Nintendo are big boys. They can look after themselves. They're also like a hot bartender or stripper where they're meant to attract you to giving them money.

Maybe I'm just bitter. I watched my 2 favorite companies Squaresoft and Enix combine into what I hope was a Voltron of corporations. Boy was I naive. Instead, it's become like the pus bleeding Tetsuo at the end of Akira... sigh. :(

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  17. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

He said "CD Project Red are the best devs in the business at the moment imho". As far as others to throw in along with them if we wanted to talk about some of the best, Platinum is a very easy one for me. Maybe Team Ico, but I haven't heard great reports on The Last Guardian and haven't had the chance to play it yet.

You mean a joke about Fire Emblem?

By the same token, CD Projekt Red is meant to attract you to give them money. I don't think it's unreasonable to challenge a claim and give a counter example, but in future should I type "CAN YOU PLEASE JUSTIFY YOUR ANSWER?" instead so it's clearer the point I'm pursuing? I think it's bold to base CD Projekt Red's status as "the best devs in the business at the moment" on one 3 year old game and another 6 years in the making with literally no information. I find it hard to justify giving that title to a company that has put out fewer games in the last decade+ than, say, Nintendo has in the last year. Even just the notion of "best at the moment" because, again, no games in 3 years compared with, say, Mario Odyssey. Retro's last game is amazing, and basically all of their games are amazing. Apparently they're working on another one, but I don't have audacity to say they're the best developer at the moment.

All that is to say "I disagree, prove it", but I prefer the way I worded it the first time because it seemed more useful as a post on a discussion board.

Maybe it doesn't need to be said that Nintendo make great games, but at the same time do you remember 3 years ago when everyone was obsessed with Witcher 3 and talking about how great CD Projekt Red were? Do they really need complimenting at this point? Surely with all 3 of their amazing games that defined videogames forever and have been copied infinitely it just goes without saying? Or maybe it's bold to suggest, I dunno.

18. HeavyMetal4Ever

I love me some Nintendo. That being said, I stand by my "bold" statement. Of my personal opinion.

19. HeavyMetal4Ever

I thought about why I think CDPR are the best devs in the business at the moment and came to the conclusion that it's because I believe they tell the best stories. It certainly helps that I like the source material, but for me, it comes back to the stories.

Nothing else I've played in the last several years has had the lasting impact on me that The Witcher 3 had. I found myself contemplating many of the missions and events in TW3 long after I had completed them.

They created characters and stories that hit me in the feels like no other devs ever have. Honorable mention to Black Isle/old school Bioware for the Baldur's Gate games for the same reason.

StevenC likes this.
  20. Bloody_Inferno

:lol: Joke or whatnot there's no doubt Nintendo are a terrible example of being "up with the times".

Look, I love Nintendo as much as the next guy. It's not nostalgia talking (I wouldn't be passionate about gaming otherwise), but they're the one company that still champions the actual gaming aspect of gaming, as opposed to PCs with extra features labelled as 'consoles' in a mad rush to obsolescence, or games trying too hard to be like movies, or whatever the hell David Cage is trying to make. It was about games and fun first and foremost and for that I will always have tremendous respect for them. That said, that doesn't give them immunity from criticism.

Nintendo have always been about first party property first and foremost. It's where their target audience lies. Sure they've had a great year with Mario Oddessy and Breath Of The Wild. But prior to them, this decade was a rocky one for Nintendo. Put sales aside because it's irrelevant when they can easily use their first party property on anything and their nostalgia fans and their kids will buy it without fail. Mario and Zelda were both meandering prior to their Switch games. Galaxy 2 was their last flagship Mario game, and that was just a retread of Galaxy 1. Everything in between were just a bunch of 2D games that did nothing new. They were fun yes, because they were fun over 30 years ago.

Zelda? Even worse: Skyward Sword and Spirit Tracks were among the worst non CDi games in the canon. I appreciate the need to use the gimmicky peripherals and motion controls for their sake but as the games show, they don't always work. Between them and Breath... crossovers aside, a bunch ports and HD remakes of older titles (A Link Between Worlds will count regardless of being a sequel) that show that each new game was using the previous game as a template and have been doing so since the NES original. Arguable that there's nothing wrong with that, but that's how Zelda games become samey in the grand scheme. Pokemon... that'll make money by it's name alone.

If not the above, Nintendo will dig up their lesser known property and put them in terrible games by giving them to Team Ninja (Other M), release a game that requires you to defeat the purpose of a handheld DS (Kid Icarus Uprising) or use the Wii's motion controls in the worst possible way and shove them down the player's throat (Star Fox Zero). We can all hope that Metroid Prime 4 to be good...

I've lived through a lot of years of Nintendo's miss steps and falls, so I've yelled Nintendo Sucks as much as Nintendo Rules in my lifetime. I've played the Power Glove and R.O.B. back in the day and while R.O.B looked cool, they were both so stupid. I remembered being sad at the less than amicable split between them and Squaresoft because they insisted on cartridges for the N64. I even played the Virtua Boy and within 45 seconds I ended up seeing my lunch again inside a toilet bowl. Nintendo have forever been the patron saint of hardware gimmicks. The Wii was fantastic for them, but releasing the Wii U? When was the last time anybody used that gun add on for the Wii motes? Did anybody here even played Link's Crossbow Training? :lol:

But enough about Nintendo: I love Monolith Soft, but the Xenosaga games were terrible and the Xenoblade games I love are being held as console exclusive hostages (I can be petty too). I love Capcom but they're like an old friend that needs serious help: during a time of exclusivity, they were throwing ports in every format (even before the Capcom 5 debacle of 2002, Street Fighter 2 ported to Sega was controversial back in the day). Speaking of which, no matter how I justify the intricate upgrades, Street Fighter fans have been sucked to buying the same game at retail price over and over again FOR DECADES. I love Konami... well, let's just say I once loved Konami. Some of their old games are still nice but we all know how they are as a company. I won't bother repeating my feelings towards Square Enix...

I haven't even bothered to mention CD Projekt namely because it's pointless. They're banking on just one game. A great game that deserves the accolade yes (hence opinion stated), but it's also because The Witcher 3 being so good that it completely eradicates the first 2 games from general interest. All their future releases will now have extremely high expectations, a lot of pressure from one game for CD to release something that doesn't suck.

TL/DR: All game developers deserve both praise and criticism based on their games. Also games aren't safe either. I still love Secret Of Mana but that didn't stop me from tearing it a new one a few pages ago.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018