What game are you playing?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mark520, Jun 10, 2011.

1. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I think that the reviews may have given it slack since it's practically an indie game, which I agree it deserves. I mean, I'd rather they pad the score of something like this than some AAA thing that they positively review just to keep the review copies coming. But, I just found the mechanics absolutely horrible and clunky and hated every single combat interlude and was bored during the rest of it due to the wallowy controls, boring puzzles, repetitive environments, and especially the snail-like movement, even while running, which the game doesn't always even let you do. The couple of reviews I eyeballed before buying it on sale didn't mention any of this. The LOOK of it is fantastic and the aesthetics of the "psychosis simulation" is unlike anything else I've played, even though I kind of hated that too due to disinterest in the story/character and annoyance from the sound of some of the voice actors and their line deliveries. "SHE CAN DO IT! SHE CAN'T DO IT! BEHIND YOU!" Ugh. :p

Maybe the problem was first starting it after Horizon Zero Dawn, which is the polar opposite of it in terms of environment and movement speed, and then coming back to it after Persona 5, which is the polar opposite of it in aesthetics!

I have to cleanse my palette now. I think I might play Dragon Age Inquisition again. I fired it up yesterday and was shocked by how dated it already looks and how bad the framerate is during cutscenes on PS4. But, I think I'll probably still find it fun once it gets going. Or, I'll just wish I was playing Witcher 3 again!

2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I do find it interesting that this is a thing. I've realized more and more lately that after finishing a game that took a decent investment to get through, I want the next thing that I do to be completely different - a completely different style or genre of game, or maybe not play games at all for a while.

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire git gud scrub

I'm surprised that you'd say the combat is slow and clunky considering the pedigree Ninja Theory has with action/fighting games. I vaguely remember them saying they wanted the combat to have "weight" to it, which would slow it down a lot.. Not many games besides Dark Souls/Bloodborne/For Honor/Chivalry are good at making larger weapons have some heft to them in terms of controls.

4. wankerness

They certainly succeeded, and it makes sense for the character, they just went overboard to the point that it felt awful to me when combined with how incredibly mundane and repetitive it is. Strategy for every regular enemy is standing in one spot till they swing at you, hitting block at the right time to parry it and then hitting them with a strong attack. Every large enemy is mashing dodge non-stop to slowly move around them and not get hit with their attacks while mashing attack. Variance in strategy comes when there's more than one and then you have to fight the camera to keep them both in front of you, but keep doing the same thing. I dunno. It was bad. I actually heard one critic compare the new God of War unfavorably to it, so either he's insane (my vote) or it's amazing and I am just in a tiny minority (quite possible). I love the new GoW, for the record, but I did think it felt slightly wallowy until the big plot spoiler halfway through. But it wasn't dull or repetitive!

I've never played any of those games you mentioned, besides about an hour of Dark Souls that I don't really remember but don't at all remember being clunky or bothering me. But, I don't remember if I was using heavy weapons. Looking at Ninja Theory's list, I've never played any of those, either. Nor even HEARD of them besides that DMC reboot thing.

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire git gud scrub

Heavy weapons in the souls series aren't really clunky, they just require figuring out the timing and having the requisite strength/dex attributes to actually use them effectively. The DMC reboot had heavy weapons in them too, and they had momentum/heft when you'd swing them, which would allow you to chain their attacks into lighter faster weapon's atttacks if you connected. The shift between weapons was basically seamless. Enslaved was also a pretty great game from them imo. Heavenly sword was solid as well, with andy serkis doing an awesome job as the evil king.

6. wankerness

I got a Diablo 3 urge, and the game happened to go on sale the very next day. The controls on PS4 are weird. I don't even remember a dodge button on PC?! It's been long enough since I played it that I don't remember. Maybe it was just that you could move while aiming with a mouse and this is the compromise? Regardless, it's actually pretty smooth so far, though I'm at the beginning where nothing can really do any serious damage to me.

Has anyone played as the necromancer yet? I didn't jump in as one immediately cause I don't know if it's fun or not. I played as all the base classes for a while - is it comparable to any of them? I liked Monk, Demon Hunter and Wizard quite a bit, but wasn't particularly excited about Witch Doctor or Barbarian. I don't think I really played as a Crusader for more than 2 minutes since I was playing through that expansion with my pre-existing characters.

7. The Silent Man

The Silent Man Savatage,Evergrey, Shadow Gallery,Vanden Plas fan

Currently playing Murdered: Soul Suspect after completing Life Is Strange.
    I wish I had a PS4 to play Detroit: Become Human!

8. wankerness

This review of Detroit made me laugh my ass off, partly cause I had seen the referenced Crazy Fat Ethel II video.

I got to level 70 in Diablo and started a Necromancer and then I'd had my fix as soon as I saw the Necromancer only had a few skills and the ones I unlocked in the first several levels were boring. Maybe I'll touch it again someday!

Played some more of Dragon Age: Inquisition. The facial expressions are so terrifying. We really have come a long way in just the last few years. Even Witcher 3 compared to it is absolutely night and day.

(though I think the original FFX might even have outdone it so maybe it's just a bioware problem)

9. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

^ I think that's why I mostly prefer older games. When you booted up Privateer, there was a ~1 minute long set up cutscene, and then you were able to do whatever the hell you wanted for the rest of the game. No having to wash dishes and certainly no tutorials. If you didn't know what the controls were, you'd have to read the game manual or just mash buttons until something did what you wanted.

I used to play a lot of Red Baron. The graphics, by today's standards, would be laughably horrible, but for it's time, it was forgivable, especially given how realistic the controls were. But again, you boot up the game and you're off flying missions in seconds. No NES game I ever remember had a tutorial that you had to play through. But if I pick up a game for PS4 at random, I'd say there's a 90% chance that there will be a tutorial about how to control the character or whatever. That's part of the reason Doom stuck out so much - you boot up the game and you are immediately fighting monsters - people loved that about it so damned much, yet game developers didn't get the hint at all, because it's years later and if I buy a new game, I still have to do a bunch of BS before I can actually play the game.

10. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

grabbed the SF 30th anniversary collection for my switch .haven't played it yet but at the least will give me a chance to actuality learn how to play III . Played all the others allot, well not SF 1 , but all versions of III I skipped at the time

11. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I totally forgot the SF 30th anniversary collection was coming. I need to pay through the Alpha series again ASAP.

12. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

yeah

I was big on alpha 2 at the time . always liked it more than alpha 3 and the III series

13. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Spend some time with Third Strike. Go through the first 2 for the story and general feel but Third Strike is where it's at. Great fighting engine that still holds up today arguably better than V (pre arcade edition anyway).

I was big on the Alpha series too. Loved Alpha 2 a lot but then got intimidated by Alpha 3's Vism only to love it more years later.

14. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

cool.

I did try to get into 3rd strike when the online edition came out on 360 but I was playing allot of sf4 at the time and wasn't really motivated to learn a new game when I was enjoying the other one so much .

played allot of alpha 1, then alpha 2 came out and I played that a tonne.and yeah alpha 3 hit with the ism's and it all put me off a little too. I just stuck to playing alpha 2

I need to give 5 another whirl after arcade edition. I didn't really take to the early versions of it and have just let it sit

15. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

I'm on the same boat as well. The isms in Alpha 3 put me off for a bit, but once I discovered the game breaking joys of Visms (admittedly by going backwards from Capcom Vs SNK 2), I loved it all over again.

I guess the brand new character themes somewhat put me off from Alpha 3, since the new remixes of the classic themes in Alpha 2 kept the Street Fighter spirit going, I felt it some of it was lost in Alpha 3 despite most of the full cast showing up.

It took me a while to warm up to Third Strike as well. By the time Capcom doing the seasonal refinement was getting old for me. Aesthetically it was also around the time where they stopped caring about story and music. The plot is essentially a bunch of fighters yelling "OH YEAH?!?!" at each other, and every fighting game soundtrack was reduced to smooth jazz, which sounds fine on it's own, but doesn't really suit a fighting game (I'm looking at you Marvel Vs Capcom 2), so the classic SF spirit was somewhat lost for me there too. I didn't realise how deep the game was until later on, like a refined Super Turbo.

SFV was the first time in the series where I skipped vanilla entirely. I was already put off by Capcom's Street Fighter Vs Tekken debacle, then Capcom pulled that disastrous launch, which was just "early-early access only, casual players piss off", so bullet dodged. But now with Arcade edition, more characters, more modes, it finally feels like a complete game. I probably should pick that up.

16. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Playing Boodstained: Curse of the Moon. So apparently it was a Kickstarter stretch goal for the upcoming game Bloodstained, a "spiritual successor" to Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, and this companion game was intended as a "prequel" to it and in the style of Castlevania 3. Is "prequel" the right word when the game actually comes out chronologically first?

Anyway, it definitely does not shy-away from its inspiration, though there are some interesting twists. Your main character will encounter all of the side characters and you can take them all with you... or you can kill them and gain new abilities... or you can ignore them- all options can have a bearing on which endings and kind of set an extra difficulty level. It's got some nice pixel art and cool music, but the overall difficulty isn't close to CV3. I think I last longer in QWOP than in CV3, and I smoked the normal campaign in Veteran mode, though there's a ton of replay-ability with the different options. $10 on Steam.

17. wankerness

Huh. I funded that thing YEARS ago and have just been ignoring the periodic emails about it, although I did notice a recent one where I got to switch my choice of system to get it on from last generation to this generation, good considering it's taken a few years longer than initially projected!

I'm guessing I didn't pay enough to get that precursor thing for free. So you're saying it's good, huh? I am more than fine with it not really being anything new. I paid for this with the hopes it would be something like SOTN! The only "Metroidvania" games I've enjoyed in the decades since have been those GBA and DS castlevania games, the console Castlevania games have been junk and most of the other console titles advertised as such I just haven't liked (ex, Axiom Verge). But man, I love some of those handheld games. The third GBA and the first DS one (the two with Soma) are my favorites. Order of Ecclesia is also really good.

18. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

I really don't like the look of side-scrolling 2.5D games, so that's really clouding my expectations with the proper Bloodstained. Well, maybe they're be some extra motivation to not get upstaged by the opening act!

19. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

playing some of the SF collection. fuck in handheld mode on switch I cant dragon punch at all facing right.

gonna take some getting used to the thumb stick

20. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Mario Tennis Aces demo all weekend! Awesome game.