What game are you playing?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mark520, Jun 10, 2011.

1. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Yeah, it seems like the honeymoon period wears off after a while and then we get the actual opinions of the game. I remember Skyward Sword had similar OMG BEST GAME EVER reactions at first, and it seemed like no one cared about it anymore after a few months.

2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I do absolutely still want to play it at some point though. :lol: The backlog of games is too long to justify it right now, but some day I'll come across a great deal for a switch and dive into it, I'm sure.

3. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Skyward Sword had promise but became one of the weaker of the Zelda entries. Nintendo are usually creative with motion controls with their in house games, but in this case it felt rather forced at times, and incredibly clunky at worst. It didn't feel as big as the previous entries either.

Regarding Okami, I LOVED the hell out of that game. It scratched the Zelda itch when I chose to get a PS2 instead of a Gamecube. It takes Ocarina of Time mixed with Soul Blazer and Actraiser games (who remembers them? :lol:) and sets them deep in Japanese Shinto folklore and jacks it up to the extreme. It just felt aesthetically different to so many action adventure games at the time. There's a bit of repetition when it feels like a cluster of small lands where you kill the big demon to stop the plague and open up a Kentucky Fried Deliverance, then do it all again next door, yes. It's no more repetitive than a lot of forgettable triple A games nowadays. And the celestial brush mechanic can slow down or kill the pace but it's still awesome and imaginative nonetheless. And Link can't piss on enemies like Amaterasu could, so there's that. :lol: Still holds up IMO, but then again, for me, this game doesn't feel old unless I look at a calendar.

Also on the subject of Zelda, I also loved Majora's Mask, because it's one of the few games that breaks away from the usual Zelda template that most if not all the games have been following since the NES original (BOTW included to a small extent). Majora's Mask turns the Zelda norm over it's head both story and gameplay. The main time loop gimmick is what makes it more challenging from the usual, where at the time I felt Ocarina Of Time (including Water Temple) was way too easy because once you play a Zelda game, you've played them all. Though it does get it's little annoyances especially when you're reintroduced to character dialogue or doing or undoing certain land areas to get everything or even get by (I really loved playing you Stone Temple, but you did eat up a lot of my time). But I guess that's me.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    TedEH likes this.
  4. wankerness

I think the repetitive complaint with Okami was tied to how long it was. Modern AAA games tend to be like 10 hours long so you don't notice. :p

5. Westdog666

Westdog666 True Djentleman

Ive been playing Zelda : Breath of the wild...and it’s amazing!! Can get lost in it for hours just exploring the map and side quests let alone the main story! Visual masterpiece too, definitely worth checking out!

6. wankerness

I hit the end of hangout time in Persona 5 and had all confidents maxed except one at Rank 9, which WOULD have been maxed if I'd alternated two days in my hangout schedule (it was totally dumb guesses). I didn't save a game before that one puny mistake. Thus, this is now the worst game ever.

7. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I was thinking about it the other day, and realized that Majoras Mask is the game I have re-played and completed the most. I've played a lot of games, but only re-played a handful of games. That one game in particular seems to be one exception where, as a kid in particular, I'd frequently fire that game up and power through the whole thing in a day, or a weekend, because why not, it's great. There's a whole bunch of games that I'd like to revisit, but probably won't just because the backlog of stuff I haven't played yet is too long already.

StevenC likes this.
  8. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Stuff like this makes me nervous about try to platinum the game, and wondering if it’s going to take a third run...

9. wankerness

Yeah, it's like a really, REALLY slow motion car accident. 100 hours to find out you made one mistake with optimization 2 hours in. Most games have a trophy page with notes for "missable" trophies and it's like 10% of them. This game it's like 100%!!

Fortunately I had created a second save file so I only had to go back a couple hours to the ship boss and redo it and just skip all the cutscenes! I'll retry the confidant leveling tonight. But yeah, DEFINITELY not platinuming it. Like, you can completely f yourself over with library books, since it gives you no hint whether you read them before, and when you suddenly are barred from the school you can't go back and fix that mistake! I didn't even try with the fishing crap.

There's a really good walkthrough I used for maneuvering some of the dungeon sections (particularly that airlock stuff) that seemed like it covered all the min-max stuff since it had complete schedules for every single day! It was actually written with really good english and appropriate pictures, etc as well, and wasn't one of those trash sites like IGN or gamerevolution where they just copy-paste something else and are missing tons of info cause they hadn't actually played the game themselves. The fact it's free on the net is kind of sad. I infinitely prefer text to having to fast forward through a 20 minute youtube video to find the answer I was looking for when it comes to a game like this.

10. Bloody_Inferno

For a game as big as Persona 5, it'll probably take more than 2 runs. I'm just wrapping up the 3rd palace on my first NG+ run and I already somewhat missed out on the rare Gem monsters and what to really do with them. I suppose they show up in Mementos later but depends on if I can be assed.

The fact that filling the Persona compendium is also extremely money dependent certainly doesn't help either, especially if you want that Persona...

Having said that, I'm still having fun at NG+ mode, and haven't had that kind of NG+ fun in a JRPG since Chrono Trigger (previous Persona games not counting). Confidants levels are much easier to raise, and it felt great to completely waltz through the first palace after struggling in my first run. I guess it helps with the game encouraging you to do so with so many time spending options. I was extremely militant with boosting confidants (more personas) so I skipped all the DVD rentals, 1 movie date, all of Mishima's late invites, maybe 1 retro game/book or 2 and didn't go on a single romance date. But I was having fun rediscovering all the things I missed out on now I can easily get my Confidant ranks sooner.

That and the romance options are always good fun in Persona games. I was initially thinking of going through all of them, but accidentally declined Ann. Oh well, I'll just go through Hifumi's romance instead.

11. wankerness

I got loaded by doing confuse on a couple of mementos bosses for about 15 minutes each, since they toss out about 50k yen every few turns. I think my money held steady at ~1.7 million through the back half of the game. I didn't go nuts and start fusing personas that were way over my level, though. If I had, I might have gone broke in five seconds.

I liked that the game's romances are completely pointless, you don't get any benefit from anything related to them except when Ann gives you some ANN PUFFS at the stage show towards the end, and you don't get punished for just ignoring them the rest of the game, either. I got into the first one that you can, and that was that, I didn't realize that literally every woman besides Sae throws herself at you, even the much older women. I should look up a woman's perspective on this game. Obviously Kawakami's the most eye-rollingly sexist. "MASTER!!!" Also, being Japanese, of course it has no gay options, but whatever, I just thought it was striking in comparison to say, Bioware games.

I said Ryuji's the worst character personality-wise, but that was before I got Haru. Man alive, that voice actor is AGGRAVATING in her attempt to sound like a shy wimp. Both of those character are great gameplaywise, though! I finished the last boss and am now on what I guess is the final Mementos run? Only FOOL is still Rank 9.

I'm not sure if I want to touch NG+ anytime soon, this game is SO damn long. I did enjoy it, but I found the palaces stressful since I felt a need to clear them in one go since the time is so hard-limited for the entire game. You can NEVER take it easy. If there wasn't a time limit on literally everything I think I'd enjoy the actual battles/dungeons a LOT more. If there are more SP-restoring abilities in the game other than consumables and the now-too-wimpy SP 3 accessories, then maybe it won't matter so much. But yeah, now characters like Ann can go OOM in about 10 rounds. I should look into this.

12. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Man, now I’m getting stressed about my NG+ :lol: I’m only still in the first palace, haven’t even gotten Ann yet. Probably doesn’t help that I’ve been watching the Anime as it’s airing so I’ve just been seeing the story again that way (albeit abridged).
    Also, I romanced Tae the first time. Something about an older goth chick doctor just worked for me. This time I’m debating between Fatuba and Makoto.

13. Bloody_Inferno

That's still just the tutorial. :lol: You'll be fine.

Between this and FF6 (back to my JRPG regression), I really having fun with Persona 5's NG+. It's far more streamlined, less worry about the palaces or confidant building (so I don't have to blow so much money on Fortune Telling anymore) or even stat building (no need to buy that overpriced juice or eat that ridiculously sized burger). It's sort of the game's way to encourage you to go platinum and try the other things I missed out on, like the batting range that was more fun and in depth in Yakuza 5. Replaying it made me want to romance Makoto again, but I already have her (admittedly useful) gifts as reminders to try someone else.

Buy SP 7s from Takemi and get Kawakami to make coffee and cook curry for you at every given chance and never worry about SP ever again.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  14. wankerness

Ah, if you don't have to waste time on anything like working jobs or studying then that would free up a gigantic amount of time. Stats also are what blocked me from being able to level up the gated confidants for a long, long time since leveling proficiency was such a pain - only making infiltration tools gave you three points, iirc. I don't think I got Yusuke up until almost the end of the game, let alone Haru (required 4 and 5 proficiency respectively).

The main benefit of NG+ would be to finally dodge when that teacher throws chalk at me.

15. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

fuck. this persona game sounds horrible

Necris and steinmetzify like this.
  16. wankerness

Maybe! It was fun enough to play for more than 3 hours, though, unlike the last Zelda. :( Still, I'm looking forward to finishing the damn thing and moving on. I'm intimidated by the last stretch too much to try.

17. Bloody_Inferno

For most modern gamers, perhaps so. This is coming from the same flock where life/dating sims, text based adventure are considered games after all, so don't expect everyone to get into it. Frankly I'm surprised the franchise graduated to AAA level popularity last year.

But for JRPG junkies such as myself, it's one the best to come out of the stagnating genre in years.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  18. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

lol

yeah its all horses for courses.

If there is one game mechanic that will personally put me off any game . its maintaining relationships and all that .

19. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

yeah I get it. I was being a smart ass

I actually like rpg's but the whole relationships things puts me off any game.If I could've killed everyone in stardew valley I would've

20. Bloody_Inferno

Fair enough. I don't like them outside JRPGs either for whatever reason sans Witcher 3. JRPGS really only treat them as a shallow diversion more than anything else.