What game are you playing?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mark520, Jun 10, 2011.

1. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Back to Nier: Automata. I was burning through the achievements (yes, I know you can buy them), killed the FINAL boss, and then looked at the list of endings to do that achievement, only to find that one involves DYING to the final boss. And, you can't fight it a second time without the ~55-60 hours of gameplay required to unlock it again. F YOU, NIER!!!! I just bought the damn achievement at that point. I was then glad it has that bizarre function. I don't know why I care about achievements sometimes. I ignore them except with games I really get into that don't have anything too insane (like, get 1000 headshots with the iron bar while on xtreme difficulty), which so many games have. I beat "The Last of Us" on regular difficulty and got ONE achievement for the whole run!

Anyway, I'm playing all the way through Nier: Automata again cause I love it and don't have a strong urge to play any of the other ~20 games I haven't played yet. :( MGSV, Bayonetta 2, and especially Red Dead Redemption and the last Zelda are some of the bigger ones that I just can't make myself play. I got out of the "tutorial" area of Zelda and was too annoyed by the gameplay which seems to primarily be about slowly walking up hills and having your weapons break that I just lost all interest.

2. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

Mario darker side. Fuck me. It pretty brutal for a Mario game. No checkpoints ? Really ?

StevenC likes this.
  3. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Was trying to rush finishing Yakuza 0 in preparation for Yakuza 6 tomorrow... mission not successful. Oh well, already preordered...

4. beerandbeards

beerandbeards Majestic Shoveler

Just finished Far Cry 5. I really enjoyed the story for the most part.

5. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

Yeah, I need to go back and finish that. I got about half way through and have died a dozen times or so. Just been getting moons elsewhere.

For anyone that's played Uncharted 4, I'm in Ch. 10 or so and I'm really hoping that there will be a lot more gun fights and less reliance on stealth. I'm playing on Hard right now (as I platinumed the previous 3 games and this was the highest I could start for my first playthough), but so far it seems like any major encounter I can easily dispatch of all enemies in stealth, but gun fights are a no go as there are too many enemies. I'm just getting very bored of the wait and choke out enemies and hoping the game mixes it up a little more.

6. wankerness

I have no clue what chapter 10 means. I was only paying attention to what was happening. Overall I liked that game a LOT less than 2 and 3 until the ending, which I loved. But the brother character? Gimme a break. He was introduced so badly, too.

I just played through Bioshock Infinite and the two Burial at Sea DLCs. The game was really short, I was surprised. I didn't remember it very well. I think I hated the soundtrack and the way whenever you kill someone there's a loud piano dropping noise. It's kind of fun otherwise. I think the first two are better-polished, and the end of this one was trying way too hard. I like Elizabeth, though. The first DLC sucks hard, but the second is pretty good even though I usually dislike stealth. It was good to have Elizabeth back as a character instead of...the end of Infinite.

Is Far Cry 4 worth playing? I've only really heard bad things. I enjoyed 3 and Primal in a mindless way. I guess it's a pointless question right now, as I am halfway through Nier Automata and I have God of War preordered. I've never played any of the older games, and I don't really feel like buying 1/2 for my PS2 (and the HD collection is only on PS3 cause PS4 is awful with backwards compatibility), but this one sounds good. I read a one paragraph summary of the first three and it sounded like enough!

7. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I realized the other day that I have a copy of Far Cry 3 in UPlay that I don't remember buying. I'll throw that on the list of games to play when I get the time. Blood Dragon was pretty entertaining, although I never really finished it.

8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire baritone/ERG hoarder

5 is fun if you can set aside any kind of political mindset and enjoy it as a caricature of the western united states. Plus it's really fun to set people on fire or beat them with a shovel/kill them with slingshots :D I prefer far cry 4 purely for the locale it's set in.

9. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

I'm about 50 tries in and 3/4 of the way through it looks like .its kicking my ass

TheShreddinHand likes this.
  10. TheShreddinHand

It's the beginning of Madagascar and driving around the Jeep Wrangler. I'm less enthused with 4 now after hearing you say 2 and 3 were better. 2 was my all time favorite and I felt 3 was even a step down. Oh well, still gonna finish it up, but I definitely feel at times like I'm watching a movie vs. playing a game.

11. takotakumi

takotakumi SS.org Regular

...............aaaaaand I'm black on Bloodborne :)))
    Finally finishing the chalice dungeons which I skipped last time.
    Currently done with the Defiled Chalice, fire borko was challenging

12. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Still, try to finish Yakuza 0 anyway. As with all their games, it's worth while to see through the end of the plot. Or at least get a high score on their karaoke minigames.

13. wankerness

Yakuza 0 and Persona 5 are the two games I have on pricewatch. If either hits 25 bucks, I'll buy them and play them in an instant. I have never played any previous entries, though, so I am hesitant to throw 50 bucks at them.

I'm still going through my second full playthrough of Nier:A. I was playing on Hard, and I'm overlevelled, and I have the chain-damage defense chips, but I still got hit with a couple ridiculously cheap 1-shots upon entrance to rooms that I couldn't possibly react to. Then I set it back to normal, and I basically 2-shot every single enemy I encounter. The difficulty settings on this game are completely f'd and it's the one part of the game that is a serious problem. I think the only way to play it at a "regular" difficulty is to play through on normal and not do any sidequests or exploration so you're always about 5 levels under the main plot mobs/bosses.

I started playing Guacamelee and it's AWESOME

14. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I tried to get back into Alien Isolation, and maybe I've just been in the wrong mood for that kind of game but I've not been finding it very fun. Just... frustrating. Go to the next room-dead. Hiding- dead. Reach an objective and there's no save point anywhere in sight- dead. Within I think two play sessions I've managed to make it through a handful of hallways and maybe an objective or two. I really want to like the game 'cause it's got a lot going for it, but it seems like one of those cases where it feels like I keep failing for unfair reasons. Repeating the same section over and over again because the game refuses to give you a break just isn't fun.

Take a game like Doom - you die a lot in that game too, but it feels fair. When you die, it's your own fault, you made a mistake, you learn from it, you die less next time. But not in this game. Even when it feels like you're doing everything right, you die anyway.

15. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

You know I’ve made my feelings known on Persona 5 :lol: and that was my first Persona/Shin Megami Tensai game, so I wouldn’t worry about that. I did make me go back and buy Persona 4 Golden and the first Persona on Vita, and I plan on getting Persona 3 FES on PS3 one of these days.

Right now I’m contemplating just focusing in Yakuza 6, then going back to 0 and working through the series. I have 0 and Kiwami, I have Kiwami 2 on preorder, and I have 4 and 5 from when they were free on PS+ at whatever point, so I’ll just grab 3 at some point and work my way through the series.

16. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Yakuza 0 is actually a great gateway to the series. It's the prequel to the entire story that shows 2 of the main characters develop into what they're known for. The other good gateway game is Yakuza 4 (if it's cheaper to buy) as it's kind enough to have a reminiscence mode that allows you to catch up on the story.

As for Persona 5, that's proven to be a great gateway too. It's the same effect to the series as what FFVII did before it. Like with most JRPG series that not made by Nihon Falcom, Persona is more a bunch of anthologies with only certain gameplay and aesthetic elements that tie them together. You don't have to play the Shin Megami Tensei games that it spun off from either. The beauty of Persona 5 is that it combines the best elements of the first 4 games (5 if you want to add both Persona 2 games).

wankerness likes this.
  17. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

after probably 100 attempts I finally finished the fucking darker side

It has scarred me .

I don't want to see Mario for a long time.

I think I hate Italian people now .

18. TheShreddinHand

Congrats!

19. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

I don't know exactly what you're doing in the chalice dungeons, but it should be mentioned that they're good places to farm for gems to supplement your weapon damage.

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  20. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

The trick is to use the dragon guy to skip that whole bit before the painting.