What game are you playing?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mark520, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Siggevaio

Siggevaio SS.org Regular

Just bought the Shadow of the Colossus remaster and it's incredible. Haven't played it since it was released on PS2 so I barely remember anything.

2. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Not really playing anything new, instead I'm juggling between Persona 5's NG+ and Secret Of Mana. The latter of the 2 was the game that taught me how to grind: overpowering all magic and weapons to optimum levels for each character. Currently just got the first 3 Lv5 Weapon orbs at Northtown.

Which somewhat pains me that I'm going to ditch the nostalgia goggles and just dump all over it right now. Time hasn't been kind to this game. Back in the day, I didn't realise that this was initially an ambitious project that spanned even since the NES but ended up being hacked to the bone. I didn't know about this prior to having internet access, so now I have what could have been at the back of my mind. There's a serious narrative dead zone from once you get the Flammie Drum up until the Tree Palace, there's almost zero character development for the trio, and even when you think there will be, it never comes. Also doesn't help that Ted Woosley (aka the guy who translated my childhood) only had a month to work on this game. The result is broken dialogue all over the place.

And now the meat of the problems: the gameplay. The palaces/dungeons aren't all too imaginative nor all too immersive. Zelda 3 had the edge on that back then. It's just go through a bunch of rooms, step on a switch, cast spell on orb, kill stuff, cross chasms, polish knobs, tickle balls and exploit weakness of pallet swap boss dujour. The palaces themselves while looked impressive back in 1993, are all samey. The Moon Palace is the most criminal of them all, go in, random puzzle and abruptly ends, I actually completely forgot about it after so many years. The Tree Palace on the other hand, is awesome.

And of course the combat system, one that time has been cruelest of all to: it's janky as hell. A lot of your character weapon swings hit arbitrarily at best, and at times so does the enemy. Certain range weapons can pass obstacles to hit enemies horizontally, but sometimes doesn't on a vertical angle. I appreciate the use of the active time system, though there's no reason to do rapid mash attacks, and charging for those sweet power attacks slow down the combat pacing immensely. Magic spells can vary from overtly useless (short lasting stat up spells, that dumb Evil Gate) to massively OP where all bosses become chumps when you chain cast them to death.

The AI doesn't help your support party either when they tend to explore certain dead ends, which hinders your progress, forcing you to take control of them only to have your previous member run into another dead end. All this is remedied with a multiplayer option (and it was awesome with a multi tap back in the day).

Yet in spite of all that I still love Secret Of Mana. Problems and all. The story is simple yet engaging enough, the music STILL RULES TO THIS DAY, and the game is still fun to play. It still puts a smile to my face every time you pull off a pile driver and other Street Fighter esque moves with fully powered Gloves, or smacking an enemy with an 8:99 Fire Dragon spell. It's the second best of the Mana series (yes I like it more than Secret Of Evermore). As I said in my previous post, Seiken Densetsu 3 is my favorite of the Mana series, though it's buggy as all hell, it addresses a lot of this game's issues and improves on them in spades.

Mathemagician likes this.
  3. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

That's good to know. The game is pretty high on my list right now.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  4. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

I totally agree with you on your post and that games should be fun and not be overanalyzed. However, I have to analyze as much detail about a game when I beat it on it's hardest difficulty. On easy and/or normal, not so much. On hard, very hard and very, very hard modes, yes. Depending on the game, it can be a whole different perspective than playing it on easy and normal.

I completely understand not everyone in the world cares about beating games on their hardest difficulties and they just want to have fun but it's just something I like to do.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  5. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I absolutely plan on starting my Person 5 NG+ soon. I just want to grab the DLC Personas and finish my current slate first (Monster Hunter: World, Yakuza 0, NeiR:Automata, and Shadows of the Colossus make up that list, but I'm a good amount through at least 3/4, the the 4th is MH:W, which is neverending anyway). I seriously love this game and want to get the Platinum. And it may take over Final Fantasy VII as my new "playthrough every year or two" game (because I'm pretty sure I've exhausted that enough with FFVII for one lifetime :lol:).

6. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

Grabbed Celeste on switch as I have been thrashing Zelda on the train and wasted something to break it up.

Fuck. It’s gonna get hard I’m sensing.

7. Mwoit

Mwoit Lifted By Skin

my nostalgia goggles are glued to my eyes and i refuse to see reason

I do agree with your points, although I can't say I can go into specific detail. I remember the dungeons are just palette swaps at best but with some silly tedious designs, and enemies that stun lock you into a corner are the worst. There's not much in side quests if I recall, which is a bit annoying. That said, the game has some charm and the music is great.

I kind of chose randomly for Seiken Densetsu 3, so I have Duran, Kevin and Hawkeye in my team. Trying to cut through the Japanese in this game so it's been a learning experience, then some arbitrary fighting then more translation. Just got Gnome though!

Bloody_Inferno likes this.
  8. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

:lol: Fair enough. I guess after revisiting again and getting old really has tainted me. But yeah, the stun locking sucks, especially fire based enemies, and I hate going to many dead ends that could potentially brighten up dungeons but don't (I'm looking at both haunted ruins here).

I can't remember which part of the game you get Gnome, was that after the echidna looking boss, Jewel Eater was it? I was going to ask how you're finding the system mechanics, but it may be too early in the game...

Duran, Kevin and Hawkeye, ah nice, that's practically a bulldozer team. Which character is your main?

9. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

couple hours into celeste now and fuck it does get hard . but it does feel fair.

haven't played a hardcore platformer in a long time

StevenC likes this.
  10. Guitarmiester

Guitarmiester Awesome-O

Been playing EDF 2025 on the 360 since EDF heavily favors PlayStation. Give me one new EDF for Xbox One. That's all I ask. PS4 owners can spare one game, right?

11. Repner

Repner SS.org Regular

Best way to play it. I just started as well and didn't realise how much I forgot since then.

12. pabloz

pabloz Contributor

still heavily hooked on clash of clans :agreed:

pabliyo likes this.
  13. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

For any fans of JRPGs out there. I'm about 10 hours into Tokyo Xanadu. Pretty solid so far, nothing amazing, but overall a very entertaining story with solid combat. A little rough on the edges but I'm not complaining.

14. Repner

Repner SS.org Regular

Jumping between Shadow Of The Colossus (on PS4) and Elite Dangerous (on PC).

15. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Nearing the end of Hollow Knight. I know that metroidvanias:indie games:: overtly hoppy IPAs:craft beers, but this is an amazing game that I can't recommend enough.

Mathemagician likes this.
  16. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire ERG/pickup hoarder

Trying to finish up the Uncharted collection but I get bored of all the setpieces/forced gunfights pretty quickly. They're all great games but I just find QTEs extremely tedious and unnecessary

17. takotakumi

takotakumi SS.org Regular

Lately was finally able to get into Dark Souls 2 and finished it. Currently trying to do all the optional bosses.
    This triggered me into doing a new build for Dark Souls 3, which currently has me in right before the Dragon Armour.

18. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Picked that one up on sale a little while back but haven't fired it up yet. It's been a long while since I've played a metroidvania style game like this so I wanna give it the proper attention once I finish a few others.

19. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

^Yeah, you'll want to give it proper attention- it's a huge game for a side-scroller. Granted, I take my time on games like these exploring & poking-around, but I'm currently approaching 60 hours with quite a bit left to do before the next DLC.

BlackMastodon likes this.
  20. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Picked up Squad on a Steam sale....just getting my feet wet, but damn, this thing is GNARLY.