What game are you playing?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mark520, Jun 10, 2011.

1. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

It's a PC I put together in 2013. i5-4670K, gtx770-2gb, 16gb.

The 770 in this thing still handles most games better than you'd expect. The bottleneck usually is the low vram and the fact that I'm still using a mechanical hard drive (7200rpm 1tb WD Blue). Games have been ramping up on the number and quality of textures which has been taking it's toll on the machine- between plain ol' running out of vram, and hits to the disk for texture (and other) streaming, I can uuuuuusually get a game to run really well if I turn down texture and shadow quality. Quantum Break runs on otherwise-max settings if I put the textures at low. I suspect I could extend the life of this machine a fair bit longer, and improve stability in some games, by just throwing an SSD in there.

2. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

I haven't had nearly enough time to really explore it but arcade edition def feels like the game we should've got first time around. I'm looking forward to Blanka . played allot of him in the SF4 games

I couldn't justify getting another stick for ps4 so I got one of those brook converters for my xbox 360 TE stick and it works pretty amazingly

Mathemagician likes this.
  3. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

So, it was your village. You are part of the 3 people who wanted Blanka. lol.

Nah he’s classic, I do hope he gets a costume of that ridiculous Blanka toy that Ono had.

mongey likes this.
  4. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

yeah.lol

thing is I always hated him . I started playing sf2 in the arcades when it came out ,and played every version allot up to 3 , and never touched him until sf4

I was bored of playing ryu ,ken ,guile and akuma for 20 years so just decided to only play Blanka and Sim for a while . got ok with Sim but started really enjoying Blanka's hop around to mind fuck gameplay . I got so much hate mail .good times

5. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Yeah and he was quite good in the super update too.

But then they added Yun and everyone flicked to him. Pity because Yang was awesome and just as fun but not as broken, but got hate all the same.

6. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Just booted up the Shadows of the Colossus remake, and my god it’s epic. One of the most visually impressive things I’ve seen in 4K and HDR, and this definitely feels easier to control than I remember.

TedEH and Mathemagician like this.
  7. Mwoit

Mwoit SS.org Regular

Been quite busy in my personal life, so just been playing the Switch exclusively.

- Super Mario Odyssey (dipping in to get a Power Moon here and there)
    - LA Noire (for the odd case)
    - The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (DLC 2)
    - Seiken Densetsu Collection (practising Japanese and also playing 聖剣伝説3which I have never played)

Bloody_Inferno likes this.
  8. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Seiken Densetsu 3 is awesome. I prefer it over Mana actually largely for the more deeper gameplay. And I LOVE Mana.

Mwoit likes this.
  9. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

How difficult is it to defeat the Colossis'? Seems like a, no pun intended, David and Goliath job to do.

10. Ralyks

The Colossi themselves are basically puzzles, each one is pretty unique in how you approach it and get to their weak points. The difficulty progression is pretty fair.

Rosal76 likes this.
  11. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

When you're traveling between Colossi, is there any enemies or things to do? Or are you just riding horseback watching the countryside kind of thing? How long does it take to go between each one?

12. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

^ There's some not-really-documented things you can do to improve your health/stamina, but generally speaking it's as you say-> just exploring the environment while searching for the next boss. Doesn't take that long though, and the 'feel' of exploration doesn't make it feel like a drag. :2c:

Rosal76 likes this.
  13. Ralyks

Basically was Ted said. There’s little things like finding lizards to boost health/stamina, otherwise, it’s a grandiose boss rush. But yeah, the distance between each Colossi and the excellent atmosphere keeps it from dragging. It’s really not a long game, but the $40 price point is quite appropriate.

Rosal76 likes this.
  14. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

ok so have done all 4 divine beasts in zelda. deciding weather to go kill gannon or mess around for a while longer. Still got half the shrines to find and I have only found about 12 korok seeds. I really suck at finding them but I have only really been looking for the last few hours .

15. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

Cool, thanks!

16. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

Thanks, guys. I have a question and I know it will seem dumb but I just need to confirm it for myself. I researched the game a little more and I learned that the game has 24 Save Shrines scattered throughout the map. My question is: if you die during a battle with a Colossi, will the game bring you back to the Save Shrine location that you last saved your game? I know some games will make a automatic save (which I like) right before you go into a boss fight so if/when you die, you can jump into the fight right away. Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  17. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I honestly don't remember what happens when you die. My 2c though -> This isn't a game to nitpick every mechanic. It's an "experience" type of game. Just go play and enjoy. It has it's flaws, but nothing that ruins the experience as long as you don't go in with an over-analytical mindset.

18. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

:agreed:

It's a show don't tell sort of game that gets deeper the more you play without saying much if anything at all. A boss rush game that goes from lonely exploration in the wilderness to chaotic intensity. And there's nothing quite like it (well maybe the other 2 Team Ico games), fantastic game all round.

Also I think you respawn about a stone's throw away from the boss if you die.

Rosal76 likes this.
  19. Choop

Choop n______n

Lately when I have the time, I've been playing Dragonball Fighterz! It's just the most charming fighting game I've played in a long time, and it's legit got some good depth despite individual character move sets being relatively simple.

20. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I kind of miss the feeling of games as experiences, which doesn't seem to happen much anymore. It's why I like SotC and Ico, and the N64 Zelda games, the Thief series, and those kinds of games. Seems like the current pattern/trend is games that are over-engineered, over-analysed, crammed full of every detail and system, etc. It's all about the minuscule details and stats and data, and lootboxes and combinations of genres and mechanics akin to playing recycled riff-salad songs assembled via community vote.

Does that make any sense? Not really.
    But I wish we had more games that chilled out on the lootboxes and "deep" systems that we've iterated on for decades, and just let you experience cool things. Games where it's just a matter of "here you go- go experience something cool for a while" without digging through menus and slogging through in-universe backstories. Games that drop you in a scenario and just say "here's the situation, go have fun". Games that tell you a story, whether it's directly or indirectly, instead of trying to put "you" in the game through skill trees and "meaningful" choices. Games that don't need several-hour-long tutorial sections, and reminder prompts of how all the mechanics fit together, and reminders to try every feature bullet pointed on the box.

Choop likes this.