What game are you playing?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mark520, Jun 10, 2011.

1. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I've continued with Mass Effect Andromeda and it does get better after the first hour. I can't help but wonder if everyone who was very critical of it didn't really dive very deep into the game. It certainly lacks some polish in some areas, but most games do. It has the DNA of a Mass Effect game, without any doubt. I tried to start playing a whole number of games over the last month or so, and this is the only one I've continued to pick up. I do want to get back to Alien Isolation though. Too many games, so little time.

BlackMastodon likes this.
  2. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I didn’t HATE what I played of Mass Effect Andromeda so far, but I’m only like 2 hours in and I was able to get the deluxe edition for 12 bucks brand new. May see what it’s like once I’m done with NieR:Automata (around 1/3 of the way through playthrough 2, although it feels quicker this time around)

TedEH likes this.
  3. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

I'm having a blast playing Horizon Zero Dawn! I beat Final Fantasy XV Not too long ago and have been putting in hours of post-world exploration.

4. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Continuing on the entirely unsolicited commentary as I make my way through Mass Effect: Andromeda -
    I'm up to 20 hours into the game now and my opinion of the game keeps swinging back and forth. Sometimes I think to myself "this is definitely a Mass Effect game, and has everything I expected from it". Then other times I think "this game is a mess, it won't run for anymore than an hour without crashing". Then I think "the last few hours have been cool, lets keep this going", then I think "is this a Ubisoft title? So much open-world fetch-quest-y nonsense". Then some cool stuff happens. Then a lot of talking that I have trouble caring about.

The world of the game feels a lot smaller than previous games. I've covered more than half of the world map area with discovered areas (there's a mission progress marker thingie that claims I've scanned all but three planets?) and there's been only three or four real locations to explore. I get the sense that they went for a few large areas to explore in favor of a whole bunch of smaller areas. But it makes the universe feel small and not as varied. There's a vehicle, but so far it's really usable in only one area.

I feel like the biggest challenge this game faces is it's comparison to previous games in the franchise. If it was a brand new game, and other Mass Effect titles didn't exist, I imagine this would have been received as a brilliant idea (even if delivered on a shaky technical frame). Taken on it's own, I can't call it a "bad" game, because for the most part I'm enjoying it. But it's far from being the best take on what makes a Mass Effect game.

But I still like it in the sense that I'd prefer to play the worst version of a series I like, rather than play the best game in a series or genre I wouldn't like.

BlackMastodon and Lorcan Ward like this.
  5. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

I finished ME:A the other day but left a lot of content unfinished. Overall I disliked it. Just felt no connection to the world, characters and story for most of it. near the end I turned down the combat difficulty since I didn't like the mechanics or enemies and started skipping dialogue. It had a lot to live up to with the original trilogy and a character as immersive as Shepard so a lot can be excused but they really dropped the ball on it. Oh well, it will be at least 5+ years before the series is touched again now.

Not sure what to play now, maybe Wasteland II or Tides of Numenera.

6. Kaura

Kaura SS.org Regular

I played one of them last month. Not a Hero, I think it was called. It was pretty fun but short.

7. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Picked up Monster Hunter: World last night (early release for preorders). This is my first Monster Hunter, And so far, quite enjoying it. Also, I GET A KITTEH SIDEKICK AND THERES A ONE EYED KITTEH CHEF WITH HELPER KITTEHS MAKING DELICIOUS FEAST!!

Pav and KnightBrolaire like this.
  8. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

grabbed mario kart 8 on switch for some family fun .I haven't played a mario kart since 3 or something. not sure whats more fun , playing the game or listening to my wife swear when she drives off the track

9. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

It's the first time I've gotten my wife to ever play a video game. So we've got the 2 kids playing too and it's too much fun listening to them all. None of them know how to powerslide though, so I always get to win. Haha!

mongey likes this.
  10. wat

wat SS.org Regular

Very disappointed in Mass Effect: Andromeda

The facial animations are just... Shockingly bad and the writing in general is a big step down from the original Trilogy. And the multiplayer just doesn't have the replayability of ME3. I feel like they really could have had something special with the concept of MEA if bioware had used their A-team and EA hadn't interfered so much. All the forced SJW pandering didn't help this game's writing either.

Not sure if I'll ever get around to playing Fallout 4, seems the more i know, the less I wanna play.

Was pleasantly surprised with the Titanfall 2 campaign. Total blast with absolutely awesome level design.

Aside from playing Halo 5's multiplayer, I still keep going back to DOOM 2016's campaign. Goddamn that is a great game. I could just go on and on about how good it is. Its amazing to me that they were pretty far into development of a Call of Doom style game and just scrapped it and came up with this.

11. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I'd guess I'm about half way through the game at this point, and I'm not seeing any pandering. There's definitely a lot of "safe" writing compared to previous installations, but I'm not seeing whatever you're seeing as pandering. Criticism of the janky animation is fair though. I just went through an area where most of the characters more or less stood still when you spoke to them, except for one guy in the corner of this particular little town who flailed all over the place for no reason. :lol:

12. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Pretty sure any character that's not a ripped, straight, white dude in video games and movies is considered 'SJW pandering'

13. wat

wat SS.org Regular

There is a lot of dialogue, especially between Jaal and Liam that deals with racism and cultural diversity/acceptance of other customs etc, etc, in a very overt and forced way to the point where it took me out of the experience at times and had me rolling my eyes. The original trilogy included these themes much more organically.

Also in a day-one patch, they changed Sarah Ryder's facial structure to be less feminine which is pretty obvious reaction to the recent, ah, "dialogue" regarding hyper-feminized video game characters that had been taking place in the gaming world of late. Weird to do something like that in a day-one patch.

Many things in this game are just very obviously done with the current political climate in mind which took me out of the experience at times.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  14. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

making an effort to actually get some stuff done in zelda now

did my first beast yesterday the rito village one

damn I went through it all not realizing I'd have a boss fight at the end . Had only a few meals , 4 bolt and 3 ice arrows . luckily had a couple decent swords and basically just went nuts on my 3rd try and ran around hacked the dude to death

I have done the Yiga hideout already so Im good to go on the Gerudo one next play session . I tired it once but didint have enough cold protection . have the snowquill set now so Im good to go

15. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Maybe this is obvious, but what DOESN'T get done with the current political climate in mind? The alternative would have been to try to purposefully stick it to left-leaning views, which would not have gone down well for anyone. Bajillions of games talk about racism or climate, it doesn't make it pandering. The writing isn't quite stellar, but these have been themes throughout the whole series- it's no more pandering now than it was then, even if the quality of the delivery isn't up to par.

I understand what it can look like from the outside, but realistically the game industry is under a lot of pressure from a lot of differing viewpoints to try to "get things right" socially, and it's - in practical terms - impossible to please everyone. If they had gone a different direction thematically, someone else would accuse them of pandering to a different group, or of being racist and sexist, or of not being socially responsible enough to tackle important issues, or whatever other complained people would inevitably level on it- because people are unable to just enjoy things at face value without digging for hidden agendas. Some people think it's the industry's responsibility to make statements, other people think games should be as un-political as possible, and lots of people search for outrage where there isn't any. And all of those people are VERY vocal. Don't get me wrong, I don't like forced political messages any more than anyone else, and I'm not a super-left-leaning kind of person, but I didn't sense any particularly awkward or pushy political messages in the game. But I'm also not looking for them.

Source: I'm in the industry, I work on some of these things and have been on the receiving end of this kind of criticism. No, I did not work on Mass Effect (that would have been cool though).

16. wat

wat SS.org Regular

Well like I said, Andromeda delves into the same issues that the trilogy did which is fine- mass effect is a story about different races coming together and working towards something after all.

The difference is that the trilogy let these themes play out organically while andromeda has lots of pointed dialogue that to me, stuck out like a sore thumb, especially with Liam and Jaal.

YMMV

17. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

lol. got all rugged up and it was too hot. didn't need cold protection after all . just got 1 more switch in the camel to hit then the boss battle ,which I have read is the hardest in the game . going in with 20 or so bomb arrows and 12 ancient arrows .so hopefully can just nuke him

18. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I'm waaaaaaay too lenient about flaky games I think. The biggest thing killing me about ME:A is how unstable it's being. Some days it'll run for hours with no problem. Other days... it can only run for maybe 15-20 minutes without locking up or crashing. I get why it happens but maaaaaaaaaaan does it ever kill the fun in anything.

19. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Just got back into Street Fighter with Arcade Edition. So now I’m back to basically just playing fighting games. Lol.

I need to get an arcade stick for my PS4. The new season is so hype. Sagat and Cody both coming this year. I wanted C. Viper but maybe next year.

20. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

What system are you playing on? I'm on PC and I have had very few stability issues.

As for the forced SJW pandering conversation: it's a fucking Mass Effect game, dude. :lol: The original trilogy was ripe with political themes, though I will agree, that they handled those themes a lot better in the other games. I really like Jaal and Liam's relationship, though. I like walking through the Tempest crew quarters and listening to them discuss their cultural differences in a way that's pretty believable for a group that has crossed dark space to get to another galaxy and find new, never before seen life there and now has to navigate new sociopolitical waters in order to survive as a species and make sure a 600 year journey wasn't for nothing.

I dunno if it's just me but I find a lot of the themes and story of ME:A pretty believable when you put it in that perspective.

Edit: Second part directed more to wat, not TedEH.