What do you think about this tone?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Reignerrr, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Reignerrr

Reignerrr SS.org Regular

Jackson js22-7, focusrite scarlett 2i4, ts-999, LE456, amplitube 4 only for cabinet

https://soundcloud.com/matias-nicolasb/test-master

i'm a begginer in the guitar, after tweaking a while this is the best tone i can get so far, if i upgrade the pickups for a Dimarzio titan or a Nazgul i would be able to get better sound?

2. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

It depends on what you dislike about the tone you have now. Look for something that can address specific things you want to improve. Tighter bass, more low mids, warmer treble etc. I’m sure it goes without saying, but it’s important to remember, pickups won’t make you a better player; only practice will.

FWIW I thought the tone you had sounded good as is. Hell of a lot better than the shit available on a budget when I started

Bobro likes this.
  3. Reignerrr

Reignerrr SS.org Regular

i want more definition, less harshness, more tight and fat tone

Bobro likes this.
  4. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

Try as little gain as you can get away with while still getting as much punch as you want.

If you've got something tubescreamery in front you can probably afford to up the bass at the amp stage to get a bit more "fatness" with your "tightness".

Maybe try an eq between your amp sim and cab as if you had an EQ in the effects loop of the amp so you can add in a bit of bass after the preamp stage?

Actually, while we're here, https://www.ownhammer.com/store/ind...id=411&zenid=41a82edbc846345ec54902be8fe9c045

That's a better cab option at the zero price point. Just stick it in here https://www.kvraudio.com/product/nadir-by-ignite-amps

Jacksonluvr636 likes this.
  5. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Most effective solution for tweaking your sound: pre-distortion EQ. 10 band graphic or better three to four band full parametric is what you want...

gienek and Jacksonluvr636 like this.
  6. Reignerrr

Reignerrr SS.org Regular

i already have the ownhammer heavy hitters vol 1 but i don't know to set up properly the mixing of the irs because when i load some ones it sounds not so good to my ears like with amplitube 4 cabs

you mean inserting a eq before the ts-999 or the ampsim?

7. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

First thing right after the output jack of your guitar.

8. Reignerrr

Reignerrr SS.org Regular

Like a boss ge7?

9. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

IMO it almost sounded like you had a slight phase issue or perhaps phaser FX?

If your IR loader or DAW has a phase button I would click that to see the difference.

For cheap amp sim stuff I can only recommend a few. I never had the best tones from those but Thermionic is pretty cool and so is Revalver.

I would experiment with different IR's as well, those can drastically change the tone and I also liked using 2 cab sims. Just made it sound much bigger.

To answer your question I do think new pickups will also help.

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  10. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Why don't you go full VST while you're at it? EQing comes cheap or free in software at least to try the general concept.

11. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

I heard phase issues too, better instrument input or a di-box, pickups, amp modeling and cabs would help too. LePou stuff is fine, but it has become nowadays a little bit outdated. Personally I prefer Thermionik or Mercuriall amp sims from all I've tried, you just can't go wrong with those. For cab impulses Ownhammer or ValhallIR have been pretty awesome, but it's just my taste. Mixing dynamic mic like SM57 with ribbon or condenser mics help to get more body for the tone.

gienek likes this.
  12. gienek

gienek SS.org Regular

Hmm try punch mids before distortion. There is a stompbox in Amplitube, copy of boss 10 band. I like HiWatt speaker, maybe you will like it too? Dont forget to jump into cab mic levels, when you can adjust volumes and give pan.

Back in the days i used this:
    [​IMG]
    PTEq-X

Beside, try using shorter cables for interface maybe? And if you have money, go for aftermarket 7string pup from dimarzio or duncan.

13. Reignerrr

Reignerrr SS.org Regular

there's no phasing in the plugins but i put a little chorus in the amplitube last effect and fab filter proq for bass and high cut and vintage warmer 2 in the master

i can get a Behringer Ultra-di Di400p, it will really change anything? i 've seen some youtube videos of this and seems that the sound is identical...

14. Bobro

Bobro SS.org Regular

It sounds decent enough to me, but kinda on the hard and thin and "digital 1980s" side. You'd have to play with a bass accompaniment to really know if it needs more bass tone, though- it's easy to get mud with a bassy guitar sound and a bass playing together. Definitely more bass/low mids would be better, to my tastes.