Wh40K books.. Anyone a fan?

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by myrtorp, Dec 26, 2017.

1. myrtorp

myrtorp Jiggywiggy

Hey!
    When I hear Warhammer 40k i think of fat nerds in a local shop playing with plastic figures.
    That was until I got hooked on the lore of this universe, its seriously amazing.
    My friend got me hooked by sharing some audio books with me. I hadn't played any games or painted a single space marine, but the universe sucked me in like a black hole.

I love sci-fi so thats why I fell for it. Alot of the books have a audio book version so you can listen when taking walks or what have you. Great narrators.

And a the lore is so deep, its the biggest universe i have immersed myself into, bigger than Star Trek, Star Wars and Wheel of Time combined.
    Ok i might sound silly but it was truly a joy to dig deep into a well developed story with epic proportions. There are no good guys, just shades of black haha, I mean the Human Imperium are basically space nazis that want to cleanse the galaxy of filthy xenos.

If you want to start getting into it you can simply start listening/read The Horus Heresy, which is kind of the ground pillar of which the lore rests, a big event that shaped the future.

If anyone is actually interested I will try to break the intro down:
    Humanity populated galaxy, big storms in the Warp (what you use to travel) made space travel impossible, making each colony or solar system isolated for 5000 years. Now, the storm has lifted and the great Emperor of Mankind has united Terra (earth) and is set out to reclaim the galaxy. It all started so well but ended so badly....

Haha ok thats it. Cheers all

2. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

I would love to get into them, I just really don't know where to start and there is a shit ton of books. Right now I'm focused on Brandon Sanderson and Glen Cook and if Rothfuss ever gets off his ass and publishes Doors of Stone, him too.

AxeHappy likes this.
  3. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

I would love to get into them, I just really don't know where to start and there is a shit ton of books. Right now I'm focused on Brandon Sanderson and Glen Cook and if Rothfuss ever gets off his ass and publishes Doors of Stone, him too.

4. myrtorp

myrtorp Jiggywiggy

I should look more into Brandons work, I think he did a good job wrapping up Wheel of Time. I haven't dug into any new fantasy after that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Horus_Heresy_(novels)

Here is a reading order of Horus Heresy. It's basically a defining event in the lore and you can go into it like I did with no previous knowledge and they explain things pretty good, to get you into the setting.

5. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

They are fantastic. I have a casual history with Warhammer but intend to carry on following just the lore. I bought the first 3 Horus Heresy books and after not finding time to read them in 2 years finally listened to the audiobooks on Youtube. Followed by Flight of the Eisenstein. Incredibly engaging books and the universe is indeed fantastic. Couldn't find the next one on Youtube so I guess I'll have to buy the audiobooks :D

6. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

They are fantastic. I have a casual history with Warhammer but intend to carry on following just the lore. I bought the first 3 Horus Heresy books and after not finding time to read them in 2 years finally listened to the audiobooks on Youtube. Followed by Flight of the Eisenstein. Incredibly engaging books and the universe is indeed fantastic. Couldn't find the next one on Youtube so I guess I'll have to buy the audiobooks :D

7. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Sorry, dodgy internet haha

myrtorp likes this.
  8. myrtorp

myrtorp Jiggywiggy

Yeah I made a Black Library account to buy the Beast Arises books, miniatures aside, just getting the books are costly! :D