Weird issue - Sound only when halfway plugged in (pics)

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by InAbsentia_, Nov 25, 2013.

1. InAbsentia_

InAbsentia_ SS.org Regular

I have a strange issue with what seems to be my jack. I've got an EMG 81/89TW combo in one of my guitars and I only get sound when I'm halfway plugged in. When I plug in fully, everything goes silent.

Also, when I'm halfway plugged in I have to gate the hell out of my chain otherwise I get quite a bit of noise. This is remedied by touching the pickup screws, knobs or jack plate.

I'm a total noob when it comes to wiring/grounding stuff. Any help would be appreciated!

Fully plugged in (no sound)
    [​IMG]

Halfway plugged in (I get sound this way)

[​IMG]

2. ara_

ara_ SS.org Regular

I assume when you're halfway plugged in, you get your signal, but you aren't grounded (that's why the noise stops when you touch your hardware, your electronics get grounded through your hand)
    When you plug in, everything gets grounded -> no signal
    Maybe your hot wire is connected to a ground wire somewhere (could be anywhere, even two soldered connections just dangling next to each other and touching)

3. 1b4n3z

1b4n3z SS.org Regular

Are those two solder tabs touching? I wonder where the battery wire is as well.

4. macgruber

macgruber cat enthusiast

looks like you need a new stereo input jack. that retaining clip that locks into the dented end of the lead is bent. easy fix.