Washburn Parallaxe or Epiphone Les Paul Custom

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Droontar, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Droontar

Droontar SS.org Regular

Hi guys,

I am going to change my guitar (going from 6 to 7 strings finally hehe) and I looked for the Epiphone Les Paul Custom Matt Heafy 7 string, wich has EMG 81-7 and 707 with a price of 650€ aprox. But on Satuday I went to my local music store and they have a model that I've never heard about it: Washburn Parallaxe PXM27EC, 7 string and 2xEMG 707 pickups. This model was at 1300€ but it has a 50% discount and I can't deicide on what to go...¿Any thoughts? Every opinion will count on this!

Thanks!

2. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

I haven't personally tried that Washburn but I had the 6 string PXL10 which was a solid guitar for the money. Felt brilliant to play and sounded amazing but I let it go in order to afford other instruments and because I'd just fell out of love with it. I do regret letting that one go now as I tuned that one down to Drop A# and it sounded/felt monstrous.

I have tried the Matt Heafy 7 in a shop and I am GASing hard for one myself. Felt really comfortable to play and sounded pretty awesome. The only thing I can see being an issue maybe is the scale length. It is a 24.75 scale which puts off a fair few people when picking up a 7 (not me personally) as it'll impact on the sound and feel, especially if you start tuning lower.

Do you have any tunings in mind which you wanted to use on a 7?

3. Droontar

Droontar SS.org Regular

In my band actually we are playing in Drop B tuning (6 string) so, I will start Standard 7 or even Drop A (on seven), but I will definetly prefer the standard 7.

Anquished likes this.
  4. exo

exo SS.org Regular

Having played a different model Parallaxe 6 string, and The Washburn I played wasn't a BAD guitar, it was just underwhelming to me. assuming similar quality to th model you're looking at, I'd go for the Heafy, but I'm a sucker for LPs..... Also prefer the 81-7 in the bridge to 707s. The scale length will get you to Ab just fine, lower than that, thing start to get iffy......

Anquished likes this.
  5. Chokey Chicken

Chokey Chicken mouth breather

Had a heafy sig a while ago, and played a washburn solar. Between the two brands I liked the heafy sig more. Great guitar and in recent days I'm regretting that I sold it. I may pick one up again in the future.

The washburn was nice, but it just didn't have that mojo. It was a forgettable instrument to me.

6. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

In that case you should have no problems then! I'd say grab the Heafy.

7. Droontar

Droontar SS.org Regular

Do you mean Drop Ab tuning or Standard Ab tuning?

I'm with you mate...the LP has the mojo I wanted to, but I was afraid that the Washburn had his mojo hidden or something haha.

8. exo

exo SS.org Regular

Either. An Ab is an Ab, and all the other notes/strings are higher, presenting lesser intonation issues as a result.

9. ICSvortex

ICSvortex Ibanez Enthusiast

Dont go for the heafy. My bandmate has one and i played on it a lot but the neck is to thick, the scale is to short if you dont want to go for a .70 string and the upper fret acces is horrible too. But if all of that doesnt bother you id go for that. Oh and the glossy neck gets sticky if youre playing live^^ i personally would 100% go for the washurn. Because it doesnt have all those problems and looks way cooler aswell.

10. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

::Obligatory sevenstring.org advice::

Dude, get a used MIJ Ibanez!!!

11. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

Yeah, no. I've owned both and fully prefer the epiphone. Upper fret access is not an issue, in fact it's exceptional for an LP, and the scale length isn't a huge issue. I had the guitar tuned to A while I had it and it felt/sounded fine. The gloss neck is a gloss neck... If you've played one, you've played them all. I sweat more than most people and I've never had problems with a guitar feeling terrible to play because it was gloss. It's worth noting that matte black, or any matte guitar for that matter, will get gloss "stains" from where your hands make contact with it. Not a huge issue, but it's a little ugly after a year or so when there's a big glossy spot where your palm and forearm rest. The neck will also gloss up a bit since you constantly touch it.

The washburn is pretty run of the mill though. It's a fairly boring standard looking guitar, and will function just as a guitar should. There's nothing that makes it exceptional, but there's nothing that makes it outright bad either. Both guitars will suit you fine, but I just like the LP shape more. Something worth keeping in mind however is that the heafy sig only has 22 frets. If you like the extra octaved note, then you just can't get it on the LP.

I'll mirror the sentiment that the LP just FELT right. No real reason, I just loved it. The Washburn just felt like any old guitar. I had no sentimental attachment to it. It was fine, but... Forgettable, as Chokey said. I got nothing out of it that I couldn't just get out of a hundred other guitars I've owned.

12. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

That's a weird question, it's like asking between sauerkraut and couscous for lunch, both are so different.

13. Droontar

Droontar SS.org Regular

Finally got my Les Paul and it has the mojo... Haha. Now I'm fighting with transcribing my 6string drop B songs into 7string, ty to all and I'm glad to join this awesome community finally!

Chokey Chicken and Anquished like this.
  14. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

Congrats! Glad that we were able to help.

Don't forget to post an NGD of it ;)

15. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Just tune the highest 6 strings up one full step using an 8-42 string set. Problem solved. Maybe.