Warmoth 8-string

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by sevenstringj, Jul 28, 2014.

1. sevenstringj

sevenstringj Banned

Their 7 strings were basically a bust because of the 25" or 28-5/8" scales and their insistence on routing for a questionable Floyd Rose copy long after the OFR7 was released. But 28-5/8" is just about right for 8 strings. They're a CNC operation, so the rest can't be that difficult.

Is there any interest in a Warmoth 8-string? If their 7 string pricing is anything to go by, a basic alder body/maple neck combo would be around $500, maybe less. Throw in pickups, bridge, tuners, other hardware and electronics, and it'd probably come to around $900 for something with a fixed bridge, or $1000 with Kahler or Floyd.

2. HurrDurr

HurrDurr Lord of all Things

Warmoth are pretty traditional to say the least. There's a reason their 7's kind of flopped with most of us on here, and that reason is their lack of interest/research into the concept. It led them to design an instrument that wasn't exactly as functional as we'd like (then again, people were snatching up those 25" PRS SE7's like hotcakes). So, a Warmoth 8? Interesting for sure, but until someone from within the company comes along with a desire to expand their horizons a bit further, I deem highly unlikely that we'll see any sort of other ERG's from them. :2c:

Off-Topic: They're also a bit firm on certain specs that they don't necessarily have to be. For example, I was just spec'ing out a Strat 'Super-Wide' neck (conveniently at a 1-7/8" nut width) with the idea of using it as a retrofit for a standard Jazzmaster body and convert it to a 7 string (as I would then contact Seymour Duncan about a custom set of 7 string Jazzmaster pickups sized to fit into a standard Jazzmaster pickup housing; I have blank Jazzmaster housings that I can drill the pole piece holes into once the pickups are done.). The problem with that being that they absolutely require you to choose tuner holes to be drilled into the headstock. Being that I want to convert the neck to a 7 string neck, I need a blank 'stock to drill the holes in myself and in no way am I going to waste the time to fill in the holes and then re-drill when I'm paying $200 for the neck and asking them not to drill me any. It's frustrating, honestly.

3. sevenstringj

sevenstringj Banned

Oh yeah, they can be unreasonable to put it mildly...

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/2192703-post40.html

PRS (and Ibanez) did 25" scale 7s right. The other problem with Warmoth's 25" 7 was the pickup placement. They had the neck pickup in what most people would consider the middle position, while the bridge pickup was well away from the bridge. I actually returned mine because of that and had them redo it with a single coil cavity in the "neck" position so I could at least have some picking room.

Basically, this is an overly optimistic what-if thread: What if Warmoth did a 28-5/8" 8-string in earnest, with reasonable pickup positions, and no asinine hangups?

4. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

JohnIce here on SSO did exactly that, and he just drilled the seventh tuner hole on the other side of the headstock. There's a thread or two about it around here somewhere.

5. Lance Thrustgood

Lance Thrustgood Banned

Because they are reasonably close to me I called them on the phone once and they were less than enthusiastic about doing anything custom like what I wanted. All their stuff is real cookie cutter sort of like "here is what we make if you like it fine if you don't then take a hike". Plus their prices are astronomical. You'd be better off ordering a custom shop guitar from a big brand name in my opinion.

6. darren

darren Decibel Guitars Forum MVP

If they offered 25.5" scale and Strat/Tele bodies and headstocks, they'd be selling truckloads of them.

7. TemjinStrife

TemjinStrife Power Metal Cellist

Well, Fender replacement parts clearly sell.

And their prices are quite reasonable, at least on the not-crazy-wood stuff. I can build a Warmoth for similar cost as an American Fender or G&L, and get to pick my own spec (including some options that neither company offers) in return for having to do the building myself.

However...

I think this is true.

8. Purelojik

Purelojik SS.org Regular

my first ever build was making a body for a warmoth 7 25 scale neck. after i put it all together i was immediately frustrated because i had to use really thick gauges to keep a standard tuning cause the scale was just odd.

what i dont understand is why they'd even go with 25? most of the scales are 25.5 for them anyhow. Either way it was still awesome just i got tired of using piano wire as strings.

9. teamSKDM

teamSKDM SS.org Regular

If they did offer an 8, id still buy a carvin.

10. Tom Drinkwater

Tom Drinkwater ERG/ERB Builder

The basic concept of Warmoth is to allow you to build the guitar or bass that Fender won't.

If you want to build an 8 using off the shelf parts Carvin is selling their 8 string neck which would be relatively easy to convert from neck thru to either bolt or set. Given Carvin's quality, options, build speed and low price I think they are the way to go at the moment.

11. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

People really get hung up on scale length. Every time I see someone say 25.5 isn't long enough, I wonder what the .... must be wrong with me since I was content with 24.75 inch scale dropped down to A standard with stock strings. (Heafy Sig.)

When they had Explorers, I contemplated getting a 7 string neck and widening the pocket to fit it.

12. sevenstringj

sevenstringj Banned

Try dropping down to F.