Warhammer 40k Megathread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Brett89, Apr 26, 2007.

1. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

^I regret never buying a Carnifex when they remade them just to paint and to have. They look so goddamn cool now.

This thread is killing me with the nostalgia overload. :lol:

2. Randy

Randy ROOMFORYOUROOMFORYOUROOMFORYOU Super Moderator

StevenC and Electric Wizard like this.
  3. myrtorp

myrtorp Jiggywiggy

I've been listening to the audio books for 2+ years now, one random book here and there but then back to the wh40k stuff..I've gone through almost the entire Heresy now. I just cant get enough of this universe. Some friends are doing the table top stuff and have tried to get me into it, im not sure i have enough energy for another hobby or if its entierly for me. If I would get an army it would be Mechanicus tho!

Randy likes this.
  4. Randy

Welcome :wavey:

Thats one reason why the Kill Team format is appealing to me. Five to ten basic figures and a modest piece of terrain seems like a nice way to try an army out and see what you like. I know spending all the money for 20+ figures, heroes, vehicles, etc. then having to paint them before you can play a real-ish game to see how you like the game or your specific army was daunting.

BlackMastodon likes this.
  5. BlackMastodon

I've been thinking about WH40k recently. I know of some people that play and they said 8e is really solid. And my parents just found all my Tau models in their basement after doing some cleanup.

6. Randy

Nice! I'm considering a small Tau army or just a squad for Kill Team as my next project. I know you were active in this thread before but it's a lot to sift through, any pics or a list of what you got? Any recommendations for something Kill Team-esque, meaning medium size, lots of range and line of sight etc.

7. BlackMastodon

It's been many a moon since I've played, my dude. :lol: I think last time I did was shortly after Tau was introduced, so around 2002-3.

Not too sure how exactly Kill Team runs but Tau were always best at a distance, any kind of close combat spelled certain doom for them. I always preferred the longer range pulse rifles over the carbines, though if that's an option.

Quick list of what I ran:

HQ - Commander in Crisis Battlesuit

Elite - 2 x Crisis Battlesuit team

Troops - 2 squads of 12 Fire Warriors with drones
    - 1 squad of Kroot Carnivores

Fast Attack - 1 squad of Pathfinders with marker lights and drones
    - 1 Devilish troop transport

Heavy - 3 independent Broadside Battlesuits
    - 1 Krootox
    - 1 Hammerhead gunship

My Crisis suits always had plasma rifles and missile pods and maybe a fusion blaster for heavy armor/vehicles, always with shield generators too. Same went for the Broadsides. I didn't find too much use in the burst cannon when I was almost always going up against Space Marine or Chaos armies and needed something to cut through armor.

If I get back into it, I'm gonna try running an armored corps. troop and see how it goes. Would include only 2 small squads of 6 Fire Warriors and maybe a small squad of Pathfinders for support and marking targets and the rest would be 2 man squads of battlesuits. Not sure what minimum army requirements are anymore but back in 3E they were always 1 HQ and 2 Troop choices and then whatever else you wanted. Also don't know what points cap people are running.

I'm curious what the new drone units do, I only remember attack drones and shield drones which were super basic, but by the look of it there's a handful of new ones they introduced.

Randy likes this.
  8. Randy

BlackMastodon likes this.
  9. BlackMastodon

After reading that overview, it's hard to say how Tau would play out there. I can see Pulse Carbines being way more useful for a mobile hit and run squad, along with the pulse grenades being integrated into the Carbine should help them in close combat and against charges. But the Pulse Rifle would give a range advantage against most other squads which would let you shoot at people sooner, assuming it would be a smaller playing field.

With the way they describe charging and close combat, I think that the Pulse Carbines would be a better fit for a squad of Fire Warriors.