volume pedals are swell

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by The906, Jul 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. The906

The906 Hella rad Contributor

Anyone using a volume pedal that has an organic sweep and fully mutes? What are you using?
    I tried a Morley buffered deal and just...no. I'm not bending optics around inside to try for a usable sweep and the non full-muting was unexpected. Sent it back.
    Thanks!

2. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Use a delay instead?

3. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Which Morley volume are you using? I've got the Little Alligator and it can full mute with the control knob turned down.

You can try the Ernie Ball volume pedals and their variants, as well as the Boss FV500H. Dunlop DPV4 and Fender FVP1 are also good and rugged. I was considering the Ernie Ball myself, but got weirded out with the string wire that holds the pedal and my tendency to break things.

The906 likes this.
  4. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

I had an Ernie ball passive one and it was goood but it broke. First the little toggle between the 2 sweeps broke , then the pot broke. Still in a box to replace the pot one day

The906 likes this.
  5. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I have a mini Dunlop volume/expression that does the job quite well :yesway: plus there's no pot or string to maintain. The full sized one may have a more comfortable sweep, but I've gotten used to the smaller form factor

The906 likes this.
  6. downburst82

downburst82 SS.org Regular

I have a Hilton Pro Guitar Volume Pedal and its awesome but they are expensive and pretty big. Im probably going to pick up a dunlop mini for my small board in the next few months because ive heard lots of good things about them.

The906 likes this.
  7. pearl_07

pearl_07 SS.org Regular

Ernie Ball VP Jr. user here for the past 7-8 years with no issues at all. That's not to say having a set of strings, springs, and a pot inside there that could break doesn't give me a certain level of anxiety when I play with my board live, but so far nothing has happened to it and I use it for swells and a tuner mute frequently.

The906 likes this.
  8. TheArsonistsDaughter

TheArsonistsDaughter SS.org Regular

An Ernie Ball VP Jr has been a staple of my rig for like 13-14 years. I use it to kill the guitar between parts/songs, clean up the spaces between notes for staccato playing, the occasional violin-y swell part, and to back off the gain a bit when needed. It's really become an integral part of my rig. And *knock on wood* I know people worry about the string, but in all of those years, I've never broken one. I have worn out the "axle" on a few where the lock washer works its way off the end...but that's after years of use. I actually have a little graveyard of them that I need to fix.

I have a few of the Dunlop full size Volume X pedals that I use for expression pedals with my Axe FX 2...they seem pretty good, although one just isn't working for some reason. The sweep on them is pretty good, but I'm not crazy about how loose they are. One of the things I like about the EB VP Jr. is that it has a bit of stiffness/resistance to it that makes it easy to set it and leave it (for a lower gain part for instance) without fear of bumping it and messing up your level...

The906 likes this.
  9. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

?

The906 likes this.
  10. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

Passive EB Volume pedal here. No issues. Goes completely silent and allows me to then tune with no volume since I have my tuner plugged straight into it via the tuner out on the pedal.

The906 likes this.
  11. BlasphemyMadeFlesh

BlasphemyMadeFlesh Ibanez RG752CBM

Thread title made me lol...
    I like the active volume pedals vs passive. JHS used to mod the EB volume pedals to make them active although don’t know if he still does. Active volume pedals sound better vs passive I found. Best place for me is in the effects loop right out of the amps send. Swells and fades sound much better to my ears with modulation and delay vs in front of the amp.
    It’s a really subjective thing. I have seen that with volume pedals what works for one person may not work for the other. Especially the whole brand vs brand active vs passive thing.

The906 likes this.
  12. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Reverse delay. Set time, decay and effect level. Grab a dd3 and enjoy.

The906 likes this.
  13. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

Oh yeah. The new EHX oceans 11 reverb also seems to do a great job of swelling from the demos I’ve heard.

I would still prefer a volume pedal to any auto swell

The906 likes this.
  14. The906

I looked it up, was the Alligator. Must have gotten a dud. I did like that it was buffered and optical so no electro-mechanicals.

Thanks all for your feedback. Either the JHS modded EB VPs or BOSS' are on the Get list.

15. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

I run mine in the same spot right after effects send and then delay following.

The906 likes this.
  16. The906

Great tip, like putting the eq in the loop. Thanks guys.