Vintage vs. reissue

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by ThunderMoose, Jul 8, 2018.

1. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

Right - the design may not have inherently changed much, but I'll take the current Fender vintage style trem over anything they've released in the last 40 years. The quality is better. I don't think someone can reasonably argue against that.

2. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

Washburn Wonderbar, every variation of TRS, the old Rocker trems Ibanez used before the Edge, infinite variations of tailpiece-on-a-spring designs, bigsbys, etc etc etc...

It wasn't that long ago that you had to contend with "Literally Every Double Locking Tremolo That Isn't An OFR Is Garbage, Unless It's Made By Ibanez", and even then, Ibanez was 50% likely to be dogshit (Looking at you, Edge 2 and Edge 3)

3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Those were the "okay" ones.

I'm talking about really bad stuff like TRS101s, "Single Locking" (that was its official name), old slope edge units, and basically everything when Kramer bought exclusive rights to the FR. Kahler had some pretty awful stuff too.

Bigbys, have actually always been rock solid. The design has its quirks, but they've pretty much always had decent quality on the actual Bigbys. Cheap copies are rubbish of course.

I'll also say the Ibanez ProRockr units were great too, basically an Edge that's dive only. Way, way overbuilt too. Must have cost a fortune to make back then.

4. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

Oh I'm not saying they were completely awful. Just that they certainly weren't up to the standards of any modern tremolo - even budget ones. Cheapo variant Wilkinson's are still damn good at keeping tune. An Edge 3? Not so much, and not at all after a year.

5. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

mojo is in your head..... and maybe with a bit of good settup/sound of the guitar.

ITs all about the perspective you give to that guitar.

Go and grab a couple of 5yr old white Jems and give it to a kid, or basically anyone with little knowledge of SVai. Tell him one of the guitar is "Steve's old studio guitar, he recorded everything with it, he only plays live with others to not ruin this one, is full of mojo"...... and tell him the other is just a production model. He for sure is gonna tell you the A guitar "has something special about it" and "sounds better"

this was the perfect repply

whic is comming from someone who seems to not care about the age of the guitar. Instead of someone who would think (not you) the more yellow the guitar looks the better the sound it gets. Extra points for a crackle in the paint somewhere, and a few rusty tips on the hardware and screws to balance the overall tone of it... that guy would be all over the "mojo" of it..... Simply, its a guitar he would LOVE, so no matter what it would make him play more, be happier, get inspired.

The mojo is not in the guitar, is in your mind. Reason why I always (and most people here) say things ike "get the one who looks the best to you", feel and sound is important too, but looks are the key to be able to keep the guitar. If you like the look of it, you would want to pick it up more ofthen

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  6. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

although I would say Yes to it, I think its also a generation thing too.

those big studio owners/producers/rockstars are from "back in the day" to a degree. Its the kind of music they did, recorded, relevant at their peak time, plus their own age. So holding onto that one Gibson who finally sounded good it was their thing. Maybe back in their days it was their mentality of "Fender or Gibson sound" like even forget about "you need humbuckers", more like "you need a LesPaul"

also comes into play the chasing the vintage sound they grew up with, and all the big albums in the past were recorded with. "back in the day....."

And also the kind of music they did/do, since lets be honest, we are a niche metal forum with too much gear nerd talk. "Normal" folks would play/record more clean/rock based music, so whats the sound or "rock"?.... a P bass, a fender (either strat or tele) with a LP

when I went to NAMM I caught up with a best mate who I havent seen in 10 years who lives in LA. He studied audio engineering in my same school back home, and now he finished MI in LA too, he has a little studio, he does a lot of recording work (mostly voiceovers and what not) but hes pretty connected in the scene, plus hes doing his own music, releasing couple of EPs of more pop stuff ect..... He only has two guitars. A semi-hollow, and a Fender.... Theres an old PRS in his studio, but is not his.

As I was in the booth with Ormsby and Sully, I tried to show him all the different things they have, he was like "meh"... like 0 interest, even on the more "vintage" looking stuff... same with all the other booths we walked pass.... Same with his mates when we catchup with them, they all were drooling about some Fender custom thing.... I was there like "but but but Suhr?...."

I do would like to see in 10/20 years time what kind of guitars the current recording studios would have as their studio guitars

NateFalcon and nyxzz like this.
  7. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

I've been lucky enough to play a genuine '68 'tobacco burst" (not sure what the official name is) strat that has been owned since new by my good friend's dad. It's beat up like all hell, has had multiple re-frets over the years. It sounds killer. The same dude also owns an 08/09 strat in the same colour scheme (non-relic'd) with replica '72 strat pickups in it. It sounds just as good, but the hardware is nicer, it stays in tune better etc. I'm only basing my opinion on 1 piece of anecdotal evidence but IMO, vintage gear is not worth it for electric guitars.

Classical guitars are a completely different story however. Some of those that are over 100 years old have tonal qualities that are only achievable through time

8. MatiasTolkki

MatiasTolkki Burn In Agony

My friend owns a bunch of edge IIIs and he has no problem with them.

9. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

I think I was unclear.

Mojo is not based on age to me.

If you take 5 identical spec instruments blind test them. One will speak to you. Thats the mojo.

Old instruments that survived likely have it because they managed to compel someone to keep and care for them.

But oldness does not = mojo. Mojo to me just is the one that sings in your hands.

I had this LTD m-102 that was trash but one of my fav guitars and I just loved picking it up.

A-Branger and MatiasTolkki like this.
  10. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

yeh I got you know

at the same time it might be because a small difference in the settup/components. A tinny difference that makes you become more aware of that guitar, or that it might remind you at a different one. Like one of those gutiars might ahve been played longest, so the neck would feel slightly different becase the satin finish is bit more wear down.... It jsut feels beter to you. Its not a magical thing, its jsut personal taste

Like my first guitar was a LTD F-50... I dont like TOM bridges now, but when I pick that gutiar Im at home... Same with my Iceman... Might not be the best guuitar out there that I have tried, but because I played nothing else for 8 years, that guitar now it has "mojo' to me. Because Im used to it, to the feel of it and its imperfections. I could pick another iceman and I would be like "nope, it aint mine"

11. Chiba666

Chiba666 SS.org Regular

Recently got a 1987 Charvel Model 4, yeah its got a chip on the headstock and the FR is different but the neck is superb, one of the best Ive played

NateFalcon and MatiasTolkki like this.
  12. NateFalcon

NateFalcon The Impossible Kid

If it works, rock it...my ‘90 magenta Charvel predator is my “funnest” guitar to play among a handful of Japanese Jacksons and Charvels and I’ve figured out that late 80’s-early 90’s Japanese (Charvel, Ibanez, BCR) seems to have a consistent quality and playability so sometimes there’s definitely something to the originals...era and origin play a big role but “vintage” as a whole is subjective- I’ve had some sub-par Les Pauls. It’s true that most of the vintage stuff swirling around are the less desirable players. I’m no longer a Gibson or Fender vintage seeker” myself...unless it’s affordable Japanese era shred sticks...with used prices on Japanese guitars so nice it’s hard for a re-issue to get my attention. If you have to have a particular model sometimes reissue is the fastest way to get it...

13. Chiba666

Chiba666 SS.org Regular

Japanese Shred sticks are the way ahead

14. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

The trap about the "vintage" guitars is that you are preprogrammed to like them. Same as in violins. Stradivarius don't really sound better than anything else, people are just educated into believing they do. They are obviously good crafstmaship, but nothing more than what a good archtop luthier can do today for guitars. When you're talking craftsmanship, there is an upper limit: you can't make a rounder wheel than a round wheel, so to speak.
    And, for the record, I own an 18th century viola worth a considerable amount of money (talking 6 figures here) so I have first hand experience. I am only an intermediate viola player but I decided not to sell it as it's my father memento and legacy. I'll make sure it's sold to a good musician before I die though. Some modern quality violas are just as good, they do sound different but you can get an exceedingly good viola for 10K nowadays. Except people are cork sniffers and got educated to like the sound of vintage instruments better, except for individual competitions where you basically want the brigthest possible instument.

ThunderMoose and MatiasTolkki like this.
  15. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

I played Les Paul from early 80s with the rosewood top (!)
    Yeah it was dull and awfull.
    BUT MIJ Jacksons from the 90s are GREAT. And great bang-for-buck for sure.
    I currently own MIJ DK2 with eerie dess swirl. The square neck joint is not comfy, but that guitar is magical. It sounds massive, fat, meaty yet with lots of deffinition.
    I had ’96 Ibanez Petrucci JPM P2. It was great sounding. It had some mojo to it. Great wood and resonance. Unfortunately the neck was way too thick for me. Because it is a collectors item, i couldn’t made neck thinner as it would lost its value. I ended up selling it. Sometimes i regret it, but there was no love.
    Regarding the new ones that i have.... Some of them are great and they stay. Others goes back. Simple. Some of my guitars are cheap as i buy them with the intention to modify. Sometimes the new and cheap guitar can have that magic thing. The only part bugging ppl with the cheap guitarsis the fretjob. I almost always swap pickups and many times i change the hardware. Fretjob can be done by a pro luthier or by me. This way i have my customised guitar. Customisation the old guitars (collector’s item) is not happening beacuse the loss of the value. That’s why i prefer new guitars to mod by me or go for biga$$ money custom shop like i did with my Skervs.

MatiasTolkki likes this.