Vintage vs. reissue

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by ThunderMoose, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

There's myth and reality. For example I played with bassist that had an early 70s Fender Jazz bass. That sounded the best on record than anything else he had and he had some guitars that were probably 3 times the price that the old one was, but it just had that mojo. Same with a Gretsch that I played about 20 years ago. Nothing new could replicate that mojo.
    Same thing with a 1940s Martin - they had brand new guitars that were same build and reissues but this one sounded much better.
    Then there are some total duds.

Jacksonluvr636 likes this.
  2. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

I honestly think part of the relic craze has to do with these scenarios. You used to (in the 80’s) be able to grab the beat up 50’s-60’s Tele’s for cheap because they were worn down, but sounded great. People realized that the ding and dented guitars must’ve been the most played because they had the mojo. The mint guitars probably sucked because nobody really played them; hence why they looked mint.

MatiasTolkki likes this.
  3. MatiasTolkki

MatiasTolkki Burn In Agony

And that brings us to today, where companies intentionally relic their guitars to make them look and sound played just to charge even more money.

4. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Yeah exactly. They try to manufacture mojo from the wrong side. They were battered and abused because they sounded great. They don’t sound great because they’re battered and abused. I get that it’s more involved to distress a guitar from the factory, hence the cost increase; but it certainly doesn’t make the guitar any better or worth the added cost imo.

5. Pat

Pat SS.org Regular

I unfortunately have never had the chance to play any vintage instruments, i.e 50s Les Pauls, strats, early era charvels etc.

Regarding some of the 'holy grail' vintage guitars, if anybody has played one how do they compare to modern ones? With all the advancements in technology, tools, knowledge around quality craftsmanship etc are they actually a lower standard in playability terms than modern guitars?

Or, are they truly quality instruments that put modern stuff to shame?

6. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

they are rare, old, iconic, and truly vintage. So no matter what its always cool. Like a reaaaaly old car, or old anything

thats my guess. I havent played anything old so no idea

7. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

the ones that survived till now are the only ones that made it.

8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire highway to the metalzone

depends on the guitar. some vintage stuff is great, some of it is old garbage (ie teisco). Personally I don't think old electrics sound any better than newer ones (provided they have the same pickups as the newer one). Old acoustics though, that's a different story.
    My dad gave me his old ibanez classical guitar (it's all rosewood except for the cedar top) and it's got this wonderfully warm and rich tone that contrasts well with my newer classical guitars (which are all relatively bright). According to my dad the sound has mellowed out over the years.

9. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

They're guitars.

It pretty much all comes down to how well they've been treated. Some of them have been left alone and barely maintained for decades. They're hot garbage, in dire need of lots of work.

Some have been played hard and put away wet, they're also garbage most of the time.

Some have been well maintained and played in beautifully, but that only happens to the guitars people really bonded with - which is to say, it happens to the ones that either were high quality instruments to start with, or just came off the production line "Right" on the day, and someone kept that guitar alive and in good working order ever since.

Vintage does not mean "better".

10. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

It’s kind of a crap shoot, vintage stuff.

Most of what you see for sale these days is junk. The majority of the “good stuff” has been bought by serious collectors or rockstars/studio owners/mega producers who hold onto them.

pylyo and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  11. GuitarBizarre

Depends how vintage. People don't think of RG550s as Vintage, but a lot of them are 30+ years old at this point.

Lawsuit Ibanez are nearly 50, and while prices are rising, they can absolutely still be found.

12. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

If you don't believe in mojo you've never gotten to play an old white Les Paul custom that is now yellow.

13. MaxOfMetal

The same mostly applies.

Those late 80’s and early 90’s Japanese shredders are looking rough.

14. GuitarBizarre

I have, and it was honestly just another guitar.

15. Mwoit

Mwoit SS.org Regular

I have a 1992 RG770 and S540, and I'm contemplating moving to the newer RG550. They play fine, but they definitely do feel quite rough.

16. The906

The906 Hella rad Contributor

There was a huge thing in the 90s (with roots in the 80s)for blues and a lot of the grunge was vintage guitar based. A lot of Gen X'ers also got swept up in the authentic vintage thing for a spell. It is full Diminishing Returns. A guitar with mojo inspires and keeps you playing regardless of its heritage, of course. There are so many GOOD and GREAT options with modern era gear ...there is no objective reason to go chasing vintage pre-CBS, Norlin-era stuff at the premium prices. IMO of course.

17. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Vintage is also fueled at least a little bit of "i always wanted this as a kid" and that may be a bit overlooked.

I want a tele build with old lumber (100yrs) just to have, but im not chasing 60's models (no money haha).

The boomers can buy those things they wanted as children.

18. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Actually new Gibson hasn't advanced that much from the old stuff, neither has Fender, at least not on their major sellers, so for the most part the only difference is probably paint (that could be debated which is better), woods (better quality wood on old ones), hardware (probably better hardware on old ones but after 40 years, who knows?).

19. MaxOfMetal

Hardware on guitars is better than its ever been. Full stop.

I think that’s one of the things that surprised me the most when I first started working on vintage stuff. The hardware felt so light and flimsy, especially on Fenders from the 50’s and into the CBS days in the late 60’s.

Don’t get me started on old, weird trems. :lol:

cwhitey2, JSanta and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  20. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Guess it still boils down to each individual guitar being good or not, but mojo is there at times, but new over reissue for sure, hunting mojo is an inexact science, I'd rather not have any mojo and know the exact history of my instrument.