Vintage vs. reissue

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by ThunderMoose, Jul 8, 2018.

1. ThunderMoose

ThunderMoose SS.org Regular

So, what is your opinion on vintage guitars versus reissues of the same models?

Lately we have seen 30 year anniversaries leading to remakes of stuff like Ibanez' RG550 or the Charvel model 88 as the 1888 super stock.
    Would you go for the 30 year old original or a brand new guitar with modern upgrades?

I think most of the internet is very into vintage stuff, but this forum seems more progressive e.g. hyping AxeFX and Kemper over tubes and only tubes. So, give me some thoughts is vintage mojo or just worn out and outdated?

Hollowway likes this.
  2. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I wouldn’t do a vintage instrument unless I was pretty confident it played better, or was cheaper, than the reissue. The exception to that would be if I were using it for more than just playing music. Like, maybe it would hold value longer, etc.

I want to get one of the Jem 777 reissues, but they’re too expensive. And no way would I pay the same amount for an older, beat up vintage one. But I just want one cuz they look cool. Collectors, I’m sure, have other reasons.

3. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Depends on the model. For 550s and more generally with floating trem guitars I'd buy the new, to avoid any issue with the knife edges etc, especially since the new models aren't expensive for what you get. Plus, the guitar color does alter over the years.

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  4. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Vintage mojo is IMO a totally made up concept. Back in the 1990s and early 2000s nobody wanted 70s or 80s Fenders because people felt that guitars Fender was making new at the time were built better but now those 70s/80s guitars are starting to sell for inflated "vintage" prices just because they are a few decades older. The truth is that there were good guitars in those but they had a stigma of being from the bad years but suddenly just by being old they are more desirable or people are trying to pass them off as more valuable.

Vintage mojo also conveniently only applies to Fenders, Gibsons or any guitar with collectible value. I own a Yamaha SA-1200S semihollowbody that is close to 40 years old but doesn't have collectors value. It's a great guitar but it doesn't sound any better than newer guitars I own.

I've also owned an original 1989 RG550. Again, a great guitar with the thinnest neck ever made. The stock V series humbuckers were IMO rubbish and I don't like that Ibanez chose to replicate those too. I still have the original ones stashed in a box, maybe I should sell them as vintage. I bet the 1989 RG would not sound or play any better than the reissues. It's just easier to get the reissue in one of the cooler colors.

Wolfhorsky and Strobe like this.
  5. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Super Duper Moduraturr

All the vintage gear one sees on eBay and Reverb are being passed around amongst the same small circle of flippers playing hot potato, just like Blackmachines. The vintage gear that plays and sounds good has all been retained and played.

6. mpexus

mpexus SS.org Regular

Why would anyone give 600-700 euros/dollars for a RG550 from the 88/89/90's when a new shinny one with no Fret Wear and no Trem wear (and warranty) costs like 800-900 euros/dollars?

In fact I saw a lot of people all of a sudden flipping their used and abused RGs 550's as fast as they could when the new ones were announced.

7. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

The only vintage I sometimes go for, is NOS tubes and maybe amps. With the tubes: a lot of reissues sound awesome and don’t really warrant the price of NOS; but in some cases you just have to track down the old stuff and pay what you pay to get the good ones.

The amps need work in most cases, but I don’t mind swapping caps and resistors on a point to point turret board. You don’t get that stuff with reissued amps. You get PCB mounted tubes and brittle ribbon cables :lol: I’d still consider a reissue amp (and do own) depending on the vintage prices and amount of work needed.

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  8. the-Gunlsinger

the-Gunlsinger SS.org Regular

I don't post here much, but I have a new RG550 DY on the way, for me it was simple: why buy a possibly heavily used and faded one for almost the same cost the new ones are going for? The neck is a bit different but I prefer it over the original wizard shape. So it's a win-win for me. As for the Charvel, I would rather seek out an original model 88 because of it's quirks (kahler string lock, jt-6 trem, neck shape). Having owned a model 2, they have a different vibe the new Charvels don't quite capture. The new one is neat, but it's just not quite the same.

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  9. Viginez

Viginez SS.org Regular

plenty of older models in good/very good shape exist out there. so way pay the double?
    just compare and if the price is right, then buy.

10. nyxzz

nyxzz SS.org Regular

Played several 50's Gibsons and all of them were AWESOME guitars. I'm sure they all had refrets and were super well maintained, but the mojo was there. Specifically Les Paul Jr's. I'm sure there are plenty more out there in shit condition that suck, but man are the good ones good.

11. MatiasTolkki

MatiasTolkki Burn In Agony

I think it really depends on the guitar itself.

I have a new 550, I owned a beater 550CA, 560PN, and plenty of others over time, but I tell you what, the only thing I really buy into is that pickups alter with age and they change tonally, which makes them absolutely awesome. the V1/V2 set in my RG5000 is absolutely BOSS. I didnt like them in the 2013 genesis guitars much, but these aged ones? Warm and tone for days.

Jacksonluvr636 likes this.
  12. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

This. All depends on the guitar.

On the extreme side, I have never played a 1959 Les Paul. FWIW I do not like Les Pauls as their necks are too chunky for me. The reissues R9 or whatever are very very nice guitars but you cannot replicate an original, it is not possible.

On the other hand, I did order one of those 1888's. To answer the OP I would like a combination of both. I would prefer the original because they did not match the body shape on the 1888 and the original is a bit cooler looking to me. However I would prefer today's Hardware. Just all depends on which guitar we are talking about.

Just a side note, All these collectors of $250k guitars better offload them quick because the next generation is not going to give a flying fuck about a special guitar.

13. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

I've played a lot of vintage instruments and in my experience, some are really great, most are mediocre, and some are flat out turds. You have to play several to find the good ones.

I would say the same for modern instruments, too, though the modern instruments do seem to be more consistent from one to the next. I don't know if this is due to modern CNC manufacturing or from comparing new instruments to 50+ year old instruments, but I definitely notice it.

This is a VERY real concern for collectors. The baby boomers are the primary buyers of vintage instruments and when they are gone, there will be glut of vintage instruments on the market with relatively few buyers, so at the least, the prices of vintage instruments should go down over the next 20 years or so.

MatiasTolkki likes this.
  14. Element0s

Element0s Low Fantasy/Black Denim

I'm guilty of catching the vintage bug, mainly because I love 80's metal and that era of guitars are just super badass and fascinating to me.

It's mainly old-ass Jacksons and Charvels that get me, especially the toothpaste-era Charvels designed by the guys who now do Caparison. I love my 650XL, my 475 Deluxe and my Predator and I'd love to get my hands on a 550XL too. I'm also guilty of picking up old model series guitars as they pop up on CL, fixing them up a bit and flipping them to friends. I just like doing it.

That being said, I'm all about that 1888 Super Stock. That shit is awesome and I hope they do more reissues like it.

15. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Absolutely no interest in vintage gear. They sound magical, they have mojo, they have "it", just sounds like a great sales pitch. Well some of them will but I really doubt all of them do. Unless it's in untouched condition, I play it and really really really like it I will consider it if price is reasonable. Otherwise there are other guitars out there. I will consider re issues if they appeal aesthetically to me, I can afford them and play and like them. I see a lot of Gibson LP reissues that I'm completely indifferent to for example. Kluson tuners? Really? No thanks.

I've been on a Jackson kick the last few years and whenever I read posts and forums about the magical unicorn properties of the pre Fender era guitars I roll my eyes. I'm sure they're stellar guitars. The three I have one is in the Fender era and the other two in around the acquisition time period. All are great guitars and you would expect from a US made guitar. They all sound and play great. If I do find one from the San Dimas era that is priced according to it's condition I'll think about getting it. But the prices I see for instruments with tacky graphics, lots of chips, worn frets and that old POS rusted Jackson trem or rusted hardware are demented.

16. wedge_destroyer

wedge_destroyer SS.org Regular

Well I've got some "vintage" gear or mostly depending on what you define as vintage.
    Guitars well I'm less inclined for any vintage guitars unless it's pointy and mounts a kahler. The reason why I have a bunch of old BCR lol.

Amps and cabs, I'm more inclined to mess with again as stated earlier PTP and caps are no big deal. Also they stopped making alot of the good rack preamps years ago.
    Cabs are my favorite oldie because depending on the company they built them for the end of the world (I'm looking at you Peavey). Drivers well I can recone them or swap them so no big deal either.

After typing that I realized most my gear is mid 90s at newest lol.

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  17. ThunderMoose

ThunderMoose SS.org Regular

I am with you on the 80's and the Charvel-bug. I started with a cheap Desolation Skatecaster and discover the beauty of the oiled Charvel neck. Then I have built a trifecta of pro-mods (MIA, MIJ, MIM).

Now I am torn on where to go next:
    A signature Dinky (snakeskin- or tiger finish)?
    The just announced 1888 for that pointy headstock?
    A Jackson? Why is everyone here crazy about Jackson?
    Or maybe a model series or 550XL for neck through, toothpaste almost soloist specs?

Also I am curious about USA Select or Custom Shop Charvels... My pro mods are superb. What does the added expense give the guitar?

Finally I already accumulated three guitars this year. That is two more than my self-imposed quota of one per year. I may have a Charvel addiction.

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  18. The906

The906 Hella rad Contributor

Ha, I'll DVR the Pawn Stars episodes.

19. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Probably because it's getting hard to get a brandnew USA one without going through custom select, or browsing through stores that have old stocks. Maybe in 2 years, USA Jacksons will probably be available only through custom shop.

20. MatiasTolkki

MatiasTolkki Burn In Agony

And it's even harder in Japan. This is why I'm looking for an MIJ soloist right now.