Vegan/Vegetarian recipes? Looking for some new dishes to try.

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by DistinguishedPapyrus, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

A vegetarian recipe that's more Mediterranean style would be green beans stew. You put green beans, finely chopped onions and garlic, potatoes, carrots, persil, a can of chopped tomatoes or fresh tomatoes, olive oil, salt, pepper, oregano, a bit of sugar for the tomato acidity and water and let it boil until most of the water has gone and carrots and potatoes are soft (about an hour). If you don't mind dairy products accompany it with some feta cheese.

You can do the same with peas but replace persil with dill and the tomato sauce with lemon juice.

2. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

A vegetarian recipe that's more Mediterranean style would be green beans stew. You put green beans, finely chopped onions and garlic, potatoes, carrots, persil, a can of chopped tomatoes or fresh tomatoes, olive oil, salt, pepper, oregano, a bit of sugar for the tomato acidity and water and let it boil until most of the water has gone and carrots and potatoes are soft (about an hour). If you don't mind dairy products accompany it with some feta cheese.

You can do the same with peas but replace persil with dill and the tomato sauce with lemon juice.

The secret for extra taste is quite a bit of olive oil.

chopeth likes this.
  3. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Kind of a cop-out, but really good bread is amazing and, technically speaking, vegan.

There's a couple baguette recipes I use, but this is one of my favorites and has the added benefit of being publicly available. It's good as is, but I also generally double the starter and cut flour and water from the bulk ferment to offset:

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/classic-baguettes-and-stuffed-baguettes-recipe

Baguettes are fun because the difference between a mediocre one and a great one is all technique.

4. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

https://www.connoisseurusveg.com/thai-massaman-curry/

Or... start here: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/142055/chicken-massaman-curry/ but sub one package of extra firm tofu for the chicken and either leave out the fish sauce or try substituting 1/4 cup of vegetable broth. If you don't have vegetable broth, but you have any canned vegetables, you can also use the water out of the can. I prefer to add 3-4 sliced mushrooms, and then save the liquid from a can of chickpeas from another recipe to use for a little extra saltiness and flavour. I also sub out the curry paste for a mix of spices on hand, like garlic powder, curry powder, black pepper, cardamom, and turmeric, but you can improvise pretty much whatever you feel like when making a curry, IMO. To me, the thing that makes the masssaman curry a massaman curry is the tamarind (I prefer fresh), ginger, coconut, and of course the hearty root vegetable chunks. That's the basic idea of it...

Basically, take your oil and heat it in your pan, once the oil is hot, stir in your dry spices. You let it simmer a few minutes, then add wet ingredients, stir, and then add your vegetables and tofu, then stir some more, let it come to a boil, cover for usually ~15 minutes, then let it cool for a few minutes, and serve with jasmine rice or brown rice. Make sure you use tamarind and ginger and garlic, definitely coconut milk, probably onion (sweet and yellow work best, IMO) and potato or sweet potato, then either carrots or turnips or something like that. Salt to taste. Mmm.

5. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Gazpacho? perfect for summer, and also it's white version

Post-war healthy and delicious drinks