"Value GAS"

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by vilk, Apr 30, 2018.

1. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I'm often tempted to purchase guitars that I don't even really want simply because I think the price is so good for the value. I'm looking at what appears (at least in pictures) to be a like-new condition Godin G4000 USA. God is the body shape ugly as sin. It seems like sometimes these sell for cheap, but I also see the most recent one on ebay went for over $700. But actually resale is not the basis of my value GAS. I've owned Godin guitars--they're freaking nice. And this one was, from what I can tell, from their premium line. Based on my experience with Godin, I have no doubt that this guitar is at least as nice as a Fender American Standard. Imagine a Fender American Standard in excellent condition for $200!

[​IMG]

I barely play the guitars I have. And I don't even like this one! It just seems crazy to pass up a guitar that nice for only $200. It looks like one of those foam gloves you wear to cheer at basketball games.

Do you suffer from value GAS? Have you ever acted on it? And how did that turn out? Is your home lined with guitars that you barely touch and don't even want?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    Matt794, ElRay, Strobe and 1 other person like this.
  2. Might-is-Right

Might-is-Right As a Lion...

I have done this more than once. Value GAS! That is a great term!!!

vilk likes this.
  3. vilk

vilk Very Regular

And did you keep the guitar and fall in love, flip it for profit, or hide it under your bed and try to forget how irresponsible you are with money?

4. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Can only power chord

Usually flipped.
    Value GAS is great, it's a really sustainable way of finding what you like in a guitar if you're patient.

5. groverj3

groverj3 Biologist/Guitarist

"Value GAS" is a great term. This is how I live my life, though it usually has to be some specific gear for me.

6. vilk

vilk Very Regular

even when the guitar is a middle finger to aesthetics?

7. Strobe

Strobe SS.org Regular

Yeah, I have done this before. While I do play the guitar I got from it, I do less than other guitars I paid more for. I recommend passing unless you are really excited about that guitar, cheap or not.

8. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

I'm pretty sure 40% of the instruments/gear I've purchased over the last 10 years has been simply because they were cheap xD

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  9. Might-is-Right

Yes. Lol

vilk likes this.
  10. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I do this with pedals and amps.

11. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

Literally never. What's the point? Especially for flipping.

The hassle of buying it, maybe finding flaws you didn't realise before, having to advertise it for sale, deal with buyers, ship it off etc.. hardly seems worth the small amount of money you'd made overall.

The only way I'd do it is for something completely different. Like, maybe an acoustic or an 8 string or something that I would never have ordinarily bought. If it was super cheap, maybe I'd get one for the novelty.

budda, odibrom and Mathemagician like this.
  12. Might-is-Right

And there is the hook lol. Notice you started with "literally never" and finished with "maybe" :)

13. NateFalcon

NateFalcon has body parts lying around

Desperate suckers on CL have caused me to spend WAY more than I should’ve over the years...I always get something I can at least get my money back out of but my daily knockaround Ibanez ARZ 400 neck thru happened to be the best $250 I’ve spent- threw some EMG’s in it and now my Prestige’s stay in their cases...in fact I’m thinking of selling one my RG752’s because I play the cheap ARZ so much

14. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Part-time Elon Musk impersonator

Did this with the Charvel Govan, and likely will with a PRS SE Multifoil once I see one priced with desperation. Essentially, if I recognize the potential to profit on a guitar I am only curious to try, it’s easy to walk away from a listing knowing I’ll have access to the internet later, when I’m intoxicated.

15. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

Did you sell that Charvel GG before or after excoriating it on here?

16. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

It's not exaaaaaaaaaaaaaaactly the same thing, but I sometimes just want to buy new stuff because I can. Like there's a feeling of "I have some spare money, and I haven't bought music gear in a while" so I'll actively look for new things to buy and noodle with, almost in a retail-therapy kind of way. I guess it's the first-world-y-est of first world problems. Currently looking at those Fluence pickups (classics), not because I need them, but because they look like a cool new thing to noodle with. And I've got some guitars with scratchy pots that need replacing, so if I'm gonna start ripping out wiring anyway........... and I do want to get rid of some blackouts in one guitar.

17. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Part-time Elon Musk impersonator

I mentioned it in posts before reselling, then made the thread after, in tribute to a then-recent NGD by a guy who sold his guitar to another poster within twenty four hours of posting how happy he was with it.

Spicypickles and Flappydoodle like this.
  18. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

I think that's fine. I mean, if guitar is a hobby you enjoy, it's fine to spend money on it. You wanna see if Fluence's sound good? Why not!

19. grail21

grail21 SS.org Regular

I do this all the time, it's a great way to have extended visits with a guitar and see if you fall in love. If you know the actual value of what you're getting and are in a fairly active area for instrument sales, you can also make a little bit of profit (nothing to write home about). I've never lost money on a guitar that I've pulled the trigger on. Does it suck up time? Yes. Do you have to do a bunch of research so you don't get hosed? Yup. Is it fun? For me it is. Trading for for other guitars can be even more profitable but a bit more difficult and time consuming. Most recently I traded a $300 Ibanez for a $1000 Parker because the guy I traded with vibed more with the Ibanez more. The Parker had been given to him so he had nothing into it, I got a guitar that had a lot more value. I'm now in the process of trading that for a USA Gibson or Fender (which are generally way easier to move). If I can turn a $300 out of pocket investment into a USA Gibby or Fender I'll call that a real good day.

20. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

I third/fourth the "Great Term" nomination.

I haven't yet pulled-the-trigger (but I have been tempted/bummed when someone else buys the bargain) with a full guitar, but I have done it with parts/components. I have four sets of pick-ups, only one of which is targeted for a guitar, a BC Rich Mockingbird body and an RGA8 Neck -- all intended for future projects that may or may not come to being.