US Political Discussion: Trump Administration Edition (Rules in OP)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by mongey, Mar 2, 2016.

1. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

While Buzzfeed has had a few journalistic problems in the past, they have also had some stellar investigative reports. With their previous blunders, I would hope they would have done their homework before releasing something of this magnitude. I think the Mueller office statement is telling simply because it's non-specific. And of course you've got Giuliani running his mouth.

It will be very interesting to see what transpires over the next few weeks.

2. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

I can see that, given how close to the vest Mueller has played it so far.

3. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

The most confusing aspect about the Buzzfeed story is that the reports have won awards for investigative journalism.

4. vilk

vilk Very Regular

If you believe Nick Sandmann, I'd be interested to know if you're in the market for a bridge I've got for sale.

5. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

6. Randy

Randy Sous Chef Super Moderator

He and the other parents that blamed 'black muslims' are total shit for brains. Not because of their political alignments but because they made themselves sound WORSE with their statements, when meanwhile the footage of the full event did NOT match their narrative but still altered the scenario into their favor.

First of all, the group that targeted the MAGA kids were HEBREW ISRAELITES. A little ignorant to call them Muslims. Second, Sandmann should drop the fucking Boy Scout routine; I get the situation because I was an asshole kid too but acting like he was either confused or doing something noble is knowingly bullshit.

JoshuaVonFlash and vilk like this.
  7. JoshuaVonFlash

JoshuaVonFlash SSBRO.org regular

Kinda surprised that whole incident has lasted this long in the news cycle

8. Randy

Randy Sous Chef Super Moderator

It's mostly on account of that exceptionally punchable face.

Also, that Native American guy didn't help matters either. Neither he nor Sandmann, nor the adults interviewed sufficiently explained what happened and it took three day before we even heard what 'actually' happened. That guy in particularly stoked the fires of accusation against the teens as if it were 1-on-1, including the people in his camp that said they were chanting "build the wall" and "Trump 2020", neither of which were true.

JoshuaVonFlash likes this.
  9. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

So, Randy's post was excellent, so there isn't much to add. But,

1) The Mueller team's response was NOT a blanket denial, even though Trump and members of his team have tried to pitch it as such. Rather, they dispute the accuracy of "specific statements and testimony," but not all statements and testimony, or the conclusions. They've been playing their cards very close to their chest, so there's clearly something amiss if they're willing to publicly weigh in... But they gave a very limited denial, and I think that matters.

1) a) Semi-relatedly, Trump was quick to mention the Steele dossier as an example of something else Buzzfeed had been wrong on, like they had a history of running inacurate stories about him. This is false, in two ways. One, the story was about Steele putting the dossier together and submitting it to the FBI and not that they were vouching for the accuracy of the contents, and yes, the Steele dossier clearly existed... and two, while some of the more sensational rumors enclosed have not been proven or disproven (I have a friend still planning to host a viewing party if the pee tape ever surfaces), a rather lot of the dossier HAS been either proven, been admitted to, or had fairly strong supporting evidence come to light (for example, the claim Cohen was in Ukraine for a meeting wiht Russian agents, which at the time he denied saying he'd never been to Ukraine, is much more believable now that we know his cell phone connected to a cell tower in the city in Ukraine where the meeting was alleged to have occured, at right around the time it would have had to happen). So, their credibility is fine.

2) I can't see Mueller releasing a press conference stating that certain statements were inaccurate, and lying, to give them more time to work. He's a lifetime intelligence agent, he believes in due process, he's said almost nothing to the press, he's investigating a man actively waging a disinformation campaign, and he knows exactly how Trump would spin that press release. Something in that statement must be inaccurate. I just don't think it's all the statements, and I don't think it's the conclusion.

There's also Giuliani walking back his comments about Trump continuing to work on the Moscow tower deal through the election...

10. JoshuaVonFlash

JoshuaVonFlash SSBRO.org regular

It's also one of those situations where something happens apart from the main reason why most people were there in the first place. The Women's march got completely overshadowed by this sh*tshow, it's par for the course here though. :lol:

Randy likes this.
  11. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Is it a hip-shot, Evertune, TOM? You're going to have to be more specific.

Drew, tedtan, Edika and 1 other person like this.
  12. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

An Evertune multiscale 11-string trem.

13. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

The very mention of that might make it a possibility in the not too distant future.

14. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Next Sunday, A.D.?

15. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I hope Kurt Russell does one last "Escape From..." before kicking the bucket. I hope it's called, "Escape From Earth," so I can join him.

ImNotAhab likes this.
  16. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

Shotgun!

ImNotAhab likes this.
  17. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    Why, @jaxadam ! I'm still interested in your intelligent, fact-based comments and rigorous thinking regarding Donald Trump violating his oath to uphold the law vis a vis Cohen lying to Congress.

Any chance this will happen soon? I would have expected it already, given that you seemed to imply that I wouldn't have any fact-based ideas, and that any ideas I had would be weak and easily rebutted. If that idea and my thinking are so weak, it is disappointing that you have been unable to think of a response given that low bar you claimed.

I'll be sad if you're not up to the challenge, so I'm pullin' for ya, buddy!

Cheers!

18. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    Oh, and for those who prefer to get their news from Fox, here's an interesting little news story: even when asked three times in a softball segment, White House Deputy Press Secretary Hogan Gidley refused to deny that there is any evidence supporting that recent Buzzfeed story.

https://theweek.com/speedreads/8185...son-trump-told-cohen-lie-congress-refuses-say

There's video at the posted link of the Fox segment.

Here's the thing: if someone accused me of doing heroin, it would be an ridiculous accusation, but I can easily deny it.

Maybe you can too.

If that's the case, then why be cagey about something equally ridiculous? Why not just deny it, like any innocent-yet-accused person would do?

19. Miek

Miek POSTING ON INTERNET

sometimes the seriousness we are required to treat both sides of a political debate drains my life force because one side is the hamburglar and the other varies from neoliberalism to friggin maoist third world-ism

20. thraxil

thraxil cylon

Roger Stone was just arrested by the FBI and indicted on charges of obstruction, false statements, and witness tampering.