US Political Discussion: Trump Administration Edition (Rules in OP)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by mongey, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Well H.W. just kicked the bucket.

2. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

First president I can really remember (I was YOUNG when Reagan's last term ended, I remember things like the fall of the Berlin Wall but I don't really remember anything about him).

Bush Sr. and I clearly didn't see eye to eye on a number of policy matters, but the eulogizing from both sides of the political spectrum today says as much about how far the GOP has debased themselves under Gingrich and now Trump than it does anything else.

3. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

4. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    It's pretty hilarious that Mueller held off on having Cohen plea until he had Trump's sworn answers in hand. It's a pretty sure thing Mueller asked Trump about his involvement in, and the dates of, the Trump Tower Moscow project. It's also a pretty sure thing that Mueller has corroborating evidence for Cohen's claims of the project, in the form of emails and maybe even recordings of Trump himself.

So, Mueller allowed Trump to answer those questions, and Trump likely lied.

Further, Mueller also has many people named Trump by the same method, and their involvement in the Trump Tower Moscow project.

Mueller now has motive, financial gain, and likely can prove Trump is compromised by a foreign government.

Pretty hilarious that Trump probably thought he was going to get away with his answers.

Dumple Stilzkin likes this.
  5. Spaced Out Ace

Eh. I'm right leaning, but I don't think too highly of H. W.

6. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I only have this on heresay, but allegedly Trump's written answers broadly align with Cohen's version of the story, and flat-out contradict his public claims.

7. Randy

Randy ROOMFORYOUROOMFORYOUROOMFORYOU Super Moderator

Anything in particular? He's been a frequent commodity in Bay of Pigs/JFK conspiracies but outside of that, I always thought he was considered Reagan-lite.

8. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Stock market got brutalized today - I thought the surge at the open of trading yesterday was a little irrational since if you were paying close attention this "trade truce" between Trump and Xi was basically an agreement just to keep talking for another 90 days. Trump didn't help by announcing a car tariff deal that his advisors had to backtrack as "not actually in place yet" either.

9. Spaced Out Ace

I'm aware of those, and it's interesting to ponder, but mainly because he hasn't really done much to make me go, "he's a good president." I think of him as being more Carter-esque, but maybe I am looking back on it in a limited fashion as opposed to someone who has lived through both administrations.

I tend to fall into this same notion as a lot of people by saying "Obama is a 2kWhatever version of Carter." However, despite not liking his policies, Obama at least seemed to know what he was doing, whereas Carter seemed like a well-meaning guy who was lost at sea with soup spoons for paddles. Even if what Obama was doing wasn't best for America, at least in my opinion, he still knew how to play the game.

I know a lot of conservatives tend to think of H. W. and W. as pretty high on the list of conservative presidents, but I do not.

10. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

It's a damn shame all these Republican fucking goblins are dying at a time where we're seeing their legacies through rosy red glasses. They don't deserve the pleasure.

If they had died a decade ago things would be much, much different.

Everyone is just going to remember him as a frail old man who wasn't nearly as dumb and shitty as Trump. Not for his treatment of the early stages of the AIDS epidemic, poor management of assets in Saudi Arabia that was a precursor to 9/11, Panama, the list goes on.

He was a mediocre at best POTUS (the bar is painfully low), a shitty VP, an even worse CIA Director and an all around shitty person.

But, all anyone alive today will remember him for is being the dad to Michelle Obama's doofy war criminal buddy (W, not Barry), and not as bad as Trump. Fuck me.

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/04/6732...ts-challenge-george-h-w-bush-s-record-on-aids

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/2984547.stm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_invasion_of_Panama

xzacx, StevenC, vilk and 3 others like this.
  11. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Market's shitting the bed again, after the CFO of Huawei was arrested in Canada at the US's behest, further fanning trade tension flames. The 10yr treasury bounced back a little from the morning's lows, but at 2.87%, is WAY off the 3.20% we were bouncing off at the end of the quarter. Major risk-off trade going on today.

12. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

It's not that people forget that stuff, it's that it's usually more polite to let the ink dry on the death certificate, before shitting on the dead.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  13. Bentaycanada

Bentaycanada SS.org Regular

The Gingrich part in that is interesting. From what I’ve read he’s had a large hand in the divisionary politics we see today.

After HW’s passing, I went back and reviewed the 1992 presidential election he lost. A British filmmaker once claimed that the 1992 RNC was the moment the religious right took control of the party, which in part led to Clinton winning by scaring off a lot of the moderates.

While watching this, I came across Pat Buchanan’s speech and decided to look into his ‘92 campaign against Bush. That was VERY interesting. His platforms in ‘92, ‘96 and 2000 were basically the forerunner for Trump. It was mind blowing just how alike they were.

14. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

He's fucking dead.

People just don't want to have uncomfortable conversations about this stuff.

Avoiding this shit is what gives us assholes who name high schools after the founder of the KKK.

[​IMG]

In order to move forward we can't excuse this stuff over some fake semblance of "politeness".

Again, the guy is dead. Who are you going to upset? His war criminal son?

vilk likes this.
  15. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Yeah - if you want to talk about the death of bipartisanship in America, I don't know if it's where the story starts, exactly, but one of the first major chapters has to be Gingrich and his Contract with America.

Bentaycanada likes this.
  16. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

That's my old high school. Class of 1995. Yeah, there was a lot of protesting when the name changing happened. Members of the Klan were out there with signs.

17. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

My favorite George HW Bush cameo:

18. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

Go Wolverines!

19. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

I had no idea that they also changed the mascot. I still thought they were, "The Rebels" but fittingly if they changed the school name, the mascot also changed.

20. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

Well, at least you didn’t go to Bolles.