US Political Discussion: Trump Administration Edition (Rules in OP)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by mongey, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Alabama, engaging in voter suppression methods? Weird.

I really would love to see Voting Day as a national holiday.

2. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Even still, when I worked retail, I still had to work many holidays. At minimum, Voting Day should be something like Thursday, Friday and Saturday, or Sunday Monday and Tuesday. Or even more minimal than that, more complete rollouts of voting by mail. Beyond that, polling places open for a week for "early voting", etc. My little po-dunk rural Wisconsin hometown had something like 30% voter participation in before election day just from early voters the week before the election.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  3. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Even just the notion of a Republican congressman voting to pass a law that increases voter participation is totally preposterous.

Also, the White House literally released an altered video so as to discredit a member of the press. I think that at the next press conference, every single reporter in the room needs to rail him on this.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  4. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

The press has been so limp dicked about this administration, I don't see anything changing. It's been two years and they still won't use the word "lie" when anyone from this shit box White House actually, totally lies.

That's partly why they've been getting away with murder.

Now that the election has passed I've merged the threads.

JoshuaVonFlash and vilk like this.
  5. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Eh, that's changing - The New York Times and Washington Post at least are, at a minimum, pointing out that many of Trump's claims have no evidence in their headlines (I.e - "Trump Claims, With No Evidence, Widespread FL Voter Fraud), or that his claims are wrong. I've seen "that was a lie" in articles, too. Is that maybe not as far as would be ideal? Sure... But they're at least trying to walk the line of remaining neutral on interpretation in their non-editorial coverage, but also aggressively calling out factual inaccuracies when they happen (which is often enough).

6. MaxOfMetal

That's all good and dandy for folks like you or I who understand the nuance of what they're saying, but some just read it and shrug "well, that's just their interpretation, it's not like he lied or anything". I think we're past the point where we can consider anything this administration says in good faith and that they're not just blatantly lying.

7. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Better than the Fox coverage, where they DO blatantly lie, and join him for campaign events, I guess... :/

8. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Also, I stand corrected - it was actually NPR that's gotten really aggressive about calling out factually incorrect claims in their headlines, the Times has gotten better but still isn't as aggressive as I'd like to see.

9. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

This should be not just a national holiday, but a mandatory holiday for all US citizens.

BlackSG91 likes this.
  10. spudmunkey

"But I needs my shoppin'!!"
    - 'mericans.

zappatton2 and LeviathanKiller like this.
  11. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Shit, you expect me to brew my OWN coffee in the morning?!? :coffee:

zappatton2 likes this.
  12. spudmunkey

After working retail, when I think of it, I do thank the employee for working the holiday when I realize I'm taking advantage of the stupid extended hours, or shopping on a holiday...even though they may be doing it voluntarily for time-and-a-half, or something...because that's exactly what I used to do. One of my favorite moments was when I in line at a grocery store on Thanksgiving morning. Sure, if they weren't open, I wouldn't have gone, and the the world wouldn't have ended...but they were open, so I went to buy some sugar because I had run out that morning. The person behind me was complaining that she had to rush because they were closing early...on thanksgiving. The women (old enough to give zero fucks) behind her said, "Well there's a good chance that these good people would prefer to be at enjoying a lovely meal at home with their families on this day to give thanks, rather than serving your ungrateful ass."

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  13. MaxOfMetal

Our corporate overlords would never let their bought-and-paid-for politicians let us get a paid holiday to vote, and politicians sure as hell don't want us voting either. Win-win.

zappatton2 and LeviathanKiller like this.
  14. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

Especially when you can just truck 'em in a few days later!

15. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Randy and JoshuaVonFlash like this.
  16. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Loves Black Guitars

So since the Democrats won the House & not the Senate what powers do they now have? Does this mean Trump could face a possible impeachment if found guilty on the Russia probe or the Stormy Daniels pay-off, etc.? I know that they have the power to see Trump's tax returns and such. Do you think Trump is very worried now at this point?

;>)/

17. Dumple Stilzkin

Dumple Stilzkin Special needs member

Judging by his recent actions, I speculate that he is worried more so now than ever. It isn't just a matter of one single event that would weigh on him, but the multitude of terrible things he has done that have the potential to get him in trouble.

BlackSG91 likes this.
  18. spudmunkey

The immediate result is that things that have to pass both houses of congress will now have a harder time gliding through.

BlackSG91 likes this.
  19. thraxil

thraxil cylon

Article I, Section 2, Clause 5 of the Constitution grants to the House of Representatives "the sole power of impeachment", and Article I, Section 3, Clause 6 grants to the Senate "the sole Power to try all Impeachments".

So the House can impeach, but it's toothless unless the Senate also goes along.

The more immediate consequence of the House going Democrat is that they now get to run the various committees which have legal subpoena power and can influence other departments like the DOJ by controlling their funding. So they can, eg, subpoena Trump's tax returns (Maxine Waters will be the chair of the House Finance Committee), compel various people (including the President) to testify under threat of perjury about Stormy Daniels payoffs, etc. If the new AG fires Mueller, the House can essentially reform his team under their protection and allow it to continue. If the AG takes an alternate tactic and doesn't fire Mueller but cuts his budget to nothing, the House can step in and fund them.

BlackSG91 likes this.
  20. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Imagine not turning up to 100th anniversary Armistice day ceremonies because of bad weather and then threatening to pull out of NATO again.

Ralyks, BlackSG91 and JoshuaVonFlash like this.