US Political Discussion: Trump Administration Edition (Rules in OP)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by mongey, Mar 2, 2016.

1. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

It's not at all surprising that Kavanaugh was confirmed. McConnell made it very clear that they were going to push him through come hell or high water. Flake kept to his usual theatrics, and again, can't depend on Collins for anything.

But, as much as this was a power play by the GOP, it was the democrats who let us down on this one. They own it just as much as the ghouls who selected Kavanaugh. Feinstein withholding the letter from Ford, Perez letting dems know that it's okay if they vote "yes" and then you have Manchin attempting to save his own political bacon by going against the party line. This is why the dems are the "lesser of two evils" (not by much) and not a completely viable option.

As for Kavanaugh, I'm a white male who isn't too poor, so there's little that he can do to me. My genitals aren't legislated. He'll probably find a way to fuck up my healthcare and retirement further, and I'm sure he'll make my job less safe down the line, but I have the privilege of not worrying too much personally for the short term. If he's really the shit-golem he probably is, he can be removed and/or more seats added to nullify his position if/when the dems have a majority again.

November is right around the corner, that's the real concern I have.

2. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Loves Black Guitars

The FBI investigation on Kavanaugh was such a farce. They didn't even interview other witnesses that called into the FBI but were ignored. With Kavanaugh now being appointed there is going to be an uproar in the country and it's only going to get ugly. It's a matter of time before the Trump administration implodes on itself.

;>)/

Hollowway and zappatton2 like this.
  3. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yeah, Kavanaugh won’t affect me too much, for the same reason. But, the right wing politics will likely cause a lot of problems for the country as a whole, eventually. There’s a correlation between degree of empathy and political views, so this business of fucking over other people isn’t likely to move our country forward as a whole. The kleptocrats are doing what they can to stay in power, and the Trump base isn’t really able to step outside themselves and evaluate issues without the politics involved, or to embrace news sources other than those that they already agree with.

BlackSG91, Randy and zappatton2 like this.
  4. Randy

Randy ROOMFORYOUROOMFORYOUROOMFORYOU Super Moderator

GOP victory lapping the last two days. Keep hearing about how the Kavanaugh confirmation boosts Republican chances in the mid term but I'm having trouble quantifying the logic on that one.

BlackSG91 likes this.
  5. MaxOfMetal

:agreed:

I can only see it helping to keep their base happy, but I feel those are votes they already had.

Are there really swing voters or left leaners who would consider this a reason to vote red? I don't think so.

If anything, I think this further boosts dem's position overall.

But fuck Joe Manchin. I hope he loses. I rather lose a seat to a known quantity GOP dipshit than have a dem who goes along with the GOP most of the time. He's approved nearly every shitty nomination so far. The party needs to hold the line, not fragmented right now.

6. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

I'd say the appointment of Kavanaugh actually makes the republican voters more complacent come November 6, and motivates the democrats to go out and vote. I'm not sure why the republicans are trying to spin this as a good thing for their chances in November, as even implying that there will be a good republican turnout would likely demotivate their voters.

The only way this would make sense is if they 1) are just parroting Trump's "winning" bullshit, or 2) they are secretly trying to put the democrats in power in order to rid themselves of Trump. :rofl:

BlackSG91 and Randy like this.
  7. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Alphas like kicking while their opponents are down, so a win means wanting to rub it in. :lol:

Randy likes this.
  8. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Best hot take I've read was that the GOP got him through by turning this into a referendum on the #MeToo movement, and there's a lot of truth to that. I think it was a short term win for them, though I wonder about the long term costs.

Though, right now, that's less important since we now have a conservative Supreme Court for the foreseeable future. I hope to god Ginsburg stays healthy, but I wouldn't be surprised, if the GOP holds the Senate (which is fairly likely) if the Trump administration tries (and maybe succeeds) to get Thomas to retire, to replace him with someone ten years younger. And whiter, of course.

But, her emails. :shrug:

9. BlackSG91

Here's the swearing of judge Kavanaugh the drunkard. Like they say it's who you know, not what you know.;)

;>)/

10. Randy

Disappointed this wasn't a half-hour of fart noises.

BlackSG91, JSanta and narad like this.
  11. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Fixed it for you.

USMarine75 and Randy like this.
  12. BlackSG91

I'm sure the GOP had a heavy hand in the FBI investigation of Kavanaugh. The person heading the investigation probably was threatened & he/she would lose their job if they didn't clear Kavanaugh. This is a real erosion of democracy and a scary one at that. Obstruction of justice is running rampant as a wildfire. I hope the mid-terms go the Dems way so that these old white men in the Republican party can be held accountable for their actions no matter how long ago it was.

;>)/

zappatton2 likes this.
  13. vilk

vilk Very Regular

FBI Director Wray just came out and confirmed that White House limited the probe.

BlackSG91 likes this.
  14. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I don't think it even got as far as that - the point of the investigation wasn't to "clear" or "convict" Kavanaugh, but was a fact finding operation. What we KNOW the White House did was severely limit the scope of the investigation and restrict who the FBI was allowed to talk to (including Kavanaugh and Ford themselves, and for all Grassley's bitching and moaning about "they already testified," there was enough Kavanaugh said that either conflicted with his prior statements or was demonstrably false that a second under-oath interview would have been highly problematic for him). And, even then, even if the investigation had been allowed to come to a conclusion rather than just collect limited-and-therefore-unlikely-to-be-damning information, it wouldn't have mattered because the reports were not released to the public, only one copy was prepared, and it was made available to the Democrats and Republicans in alternating one-hour-intervals starting maybe 24 hours before the final vote.

BlackSG91 likes this.
  15. Randy

What we've learned in the last week is that it was less investigation as it was 'background check'. Not sure if that's a narrative Democrats have been following but the Republicans I know were primarily hearing it being billed that way, and this is a guy who's passed a half dozen of those already.

The other thing that's been scantly reported on but looks to have been the principal focus of the 'investigation' was this story about one of Dr. Ford's friends that initially issued a statement saying they never attended a party like the one described, then revised that statement later on, then it was discovered the revised statement came after pressure from more people in Dr. Ford's camp. If you take into account that Dr. Ford had large gaps in her memory surrounding the event, the FBI not interviewing her OR Kavanaugh, most of the other accusers being left out of the investigation and the ominously 'narrowed' scope of the investigation, the likelihood becomes that the main focus was on impeaching Dr. Ford's credibility, and that's one of those things that leans on the side of doubt heavier the shorter the investigation runs.

BlackSG91 likes this.
  16. BlackSG91

Here's an interesting video interview with people who voted for Trump and how disappointed they are for their decision.

;>)/

17. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Sounds good but I have to imagine a vast, vast majority of people who voted for Trump are pretty happy with Trump policy. And that like... The Big Gulp is back at 7-Eleven.

18. MaxOfMetal

Most of the Trump supporters I know have no problem with his policies or anything, they just hate the bad press and the near daily scandals.

They'd never admit it, but I think they're a little embarrassed.

Yeah yeah, anecdotes. :lol:

BlackSG91 likes this.
  19. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Reeally sick of "umbrellagate", already. It's as much of a "nothingburger" as "bigly".

20. MaxOfMetal

:agreed:

We know he's a dipshit. Being more of a dipshit to his trophy wife isn't going to make anyone like him any less.

BlackSG91 likes this.