Unpopular opinions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by icos211, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

It's not even the pointless side stories, his writing style in LOTR was just painfully tedious.

2. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

I can't stand the space between the neck and the neck pickup on an SG. Makes me feel like the neck is less secure on the body than it is on like a Les Paul or something.
    K35719000002001-00-500x500.jpg
    Here's a pic for reference.

3. ImNotAhab

ImNotAhab ChronicUnderachiever

Agreed. Shame really, as there is room in the space for two emotional support frets.

XPT707FX and BenjaminW like this.
  4. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

"Come Clarity" sucks. Many will point to it as the last bastion of In Flames' former greatness before they descended into utter mediocrity, and a bit of a return to form after STYE. I take the opposite view. To me, STYE, while not being a particularly great album, felt like they were actually trying to be creative. Come Clarity to me feels like nothing more than pandering to their old fans, as if to say, "Hey, we're still the same band that recorded The Jester Race, Colony and Clayman! See? We can still record guitar solos and riffs! Buy this album!" Come Clarity is the album where In Flames well and truly sold out.

5. lurè

lurè Can't buy skill so I buy gear

Clayman is decent but imho their best is Whoracle followed by Jester Race and Lunar strain.
    In flames post clayman are garbage.

Dark tranquillity are far superior in any aspect.

tedtan and xzacx like this.
  6. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

I mean, we'll have to agree to disagree there. I still generally enjoyed RtR and STYE even if they were a step down, and my personal favorite IF album is Colony. After STYE, I agree completely.

While I also quite enjoy Dark Tranquillity, and would argue that they're more consistent overall, they've gone through periods where they're not really bad, but just boring. They seem to wax and wane. "The Gallery" and "The Mind's Eye" are hard hitting, but then "Projector" and "Haven" are boring, "Damage Done" starts to get interesting again, "Character" and "Fiction" are exciting again, but then they start getting dull again on "We Are the Void."

7. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Yep, songwriting sucks...

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  8. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Me too. I've only read the 4 first books though - my aunt bought me them as birthday presents as the Finnish translations appeared nicely one year between and a bit before my birthday, but then the fifth book got delayed and the whole thing forgotten :/ Now I'm reading the books as bedtime stories to my wife's son, which is awesome. He's just 8, so they started to get a bit too scary after the second book and he'd have nightmares about the dementors, so after finishing The Prisoner of Azkaban we are now taking a few years break before getting into The Goblet of Fire. Then I'll finally have an excuse to buy and read the rest of the books. I just hope the same versions of the books are still available so I can complete the collection.

9. SenorDingDong

SenorDingDong Smeller of Smells

There is no such thing as good rosewood.

10. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire HAIL SATIN

boy cocobolo wants a word

Ordacleaphobia likes this.
  11. SenorDingDong

:shrug:

12. MFB

MFB ExBendable

You disappear for how long, and THIS is how you greet us?!

Edit: AND hating on Hereditary? Somebody hold me back before I think about losing it, and then still proceed to not engage in physical violence.

13. SenorDingDong

Lmao

I think it was about 5 years. And what can I say, I'm locked, loaded and ready to flame.

I own over 2,000 horror movies, so I have a little credence in saying I've developed an eclectic taste. Hereditary just didn't tickle my pickle.

Rosewood is too porous feeling to my hands. I actually loved those old Peavey Vandenberg fretboards that were made out of that almost fakely smooth, nonporous ebony slats.

:gayfight:

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  14. Seybsnilksz

Seybsnilksz SS.org Regular

I shower twice a week.

15. SenorDingDong

I don't know if that's an unpopular opinion so much as a non-recommended practice..

XPT707FX and xzacx like this.
  16. The906

The906 RGART Contributor

In the heavily Finno-American region I grew up in, tradition was to take sauna Wednesdays and Saturdays...and that's it. So...unless you're offending everyone around you for days, I think that's OK. :)

Seybsnilksz likes this.
  17. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

As a finn I don't approve this :ugh: but it's a tradition to take sauna on saturdays, and I know people who take sauna almost every day of the week.

The906 likes this.
  18. KnightBrolaire

saunas are disgusting cesspits where all the sick people cough into a confined space and spread their airborne viruses like the cold/flu. But hey at least it clears out your sinuses and opens your pores. :shrug:

19. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Not if it's your own sauna (over here pretty much everyone has one). I also wouldn't say a sauna is "a place where sick people cough in a confined space" anymore than any public place, really.

AxeHappy likes this.
  20. KnightBrolaire

most houses around here don't have their own saunas, which means a lot of people go to gyms/spas and use those. It's the perfect ground zero for passing infections, because sick people love to use them to clear out their sinuses or whatever, the air doesn't really circulate, which means the pathogens just build up in that small area and float around til they attach to the mucus lining of your nose/airways.
    The hot moist air helps perpetuate other stuff too, like strains of strep/etc, though that's less of an issue if the gyms/spas bleach the hell out of the sauna everyday.
    I'm no germophobe but staying away from gym saunas has minimized the number of times a year I get a cold or the flu (flu shot does wonders for that as well).