Unpopular opinions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by icos211, Feb 10, 2015.

1. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Well no question it's a fight, I won't deny that, but there is a certain level of beauty in watching two different people with different foundations test each other to see who uses their defenses and offenses better against the other.

xzacx likes this.
  2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

It's all just how you frame it. One of those "in the eye of the beholder" situation. Just isn't something for me. :lol:

3. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Just wanted to point out that martial arts competitions for merit or entertainment probably predate any sort of organized team sports by millennia.

I know in the USA that in boxing or MMA they sometimes treat it a little bit like WWF and fabricate these sort of personal feuds between fighters.

But in most East Asian martial arts traditions there's no pretense whatsoever that these people are fighting each other for any sort of personal reason. I'm sure we've heard plenty of hollywood renditions of fighting with anger makes you weak to your opponent, but like I understand that people who do Judo and shit in Japan like almost """"meditating"""" while they fight... being angry or fighting with the objective of seriously injuring your opponent has no place in those competitions.

4. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

At the end of the day it's still a fight though. I'm just a weirdo who doesn't like the idea of a fight on the face of it, I guess. :lol:

5. vilk

vilk Very Regular

We commonly use the same English word "fight" to describe either of these situations

a) Attacking someone in anger, usually over a perceived slight

b) Trained athletes competing in a tournament

but the fact is they are not the same. Burning someone's house down and having some friends over to make s'mores are not the same, but we would commonly call either flame a "fire".

A [proper] martial arts competition isn't a fight, per se. It's not the same thing as what you would do to someone you were angry at, even if it superficially appears that way.

6. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

Is it truly ‘barbaric’ if they refuse to allow battle axes? ;)

I get combat sports, what I don’t get (and this is my potentially unpopular opinion) is non-food hunting. I understand if you’re shooting a deer for meat, but it’s just not cool to shoot a lion. Someone wants to take down a lion, go toe to toe with one in a cage match and see how that works out... now that’s ‘combat sports’

7. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I don't know that I agree, nor that it would negate my point if I did. Both of the scenarios you described are people attacking someone else, albeit one is explicitly controlled and the other is explicitly emotionally motivated, but nothing says either can't be both. In either scenario you are intentionally entering into physical conflict with another person. Splitting hairs over definitions won't change the fact that I'm not entertained by someone punching someone else (outside of fiction).

To be fair-
    If someone is particularly aggressive or competitive by nature, I'd rather they express it via controlled competitive fights rather than pick fights with non-willing participants. I just don't have any interest in watching.

Edit: Not to suggest that I think competitive fighters are aggressive people who would just attack people at random without an outlet or something.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    PunkBillCarson likes this.
  8. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Hunting is one for me.

“Oh lookie someone shot at an animal that has been run down/tired for the last hour by the hired “tour guides” before they take you to it, with a fucking sniper rifle from (1/8) of a mile away from the safety of the reinforced Jeep.”

You better fucking eat that lion meat.

_MonSTeR_ likes this.
  9. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I would imagine the hunting one is becoming more and more the popular opinion over time. I know a reasonable number of hunters, but it's rare to come across someone who does it just for sport anymore. I could be wrong though.

10. PunkBillCarson

Myself, when I hunt, I take no trophies, no pictures, I don't do poses or anything like that. The hunt is strictly between the animal and I. I will say that even when I take one down, there is a bit of sadness after the fact. I'm grateful for the meat it provides but I also can't help but feel a little bit of melancholy.

FILTHnFEAR, narad and ImNotAhab like this.
  11. Smoked Porter

Smoked Porter SS.org Regular

Drowning Pool with Jason Jones singing was better than with Dave Williams. Though the real unpopular opinion may be that they were good at all. :lol:

12. PunkBillCarson

Imagine Dragons have some good songs. /engage nuclear shield

13. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Great Ratt tune.

Mathemagician and KnightBrolaire like this.
  14. GatherTheArsenal

GatherTheArsenal SF2 > Everything

Harry Potter is quite overrated... if you didn't watch it in your teens, then it's a load of bollocks :coffee:

*hides behind a couch*

AxeHappy and _MonSTeR_ like this.
  15. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

I must say I thought I was the only one not enamoured with Harry Potter, I understand that the first book is a great children's story, but for some adults to e as "into" it as they are, I just don't understand... but then I still love the original Star Wars trilogy so i can't complain too much!

Mathemagician likes this.
  16. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Pretty much all fiction is bollocks. Sometimes it's not a bug, it's a feature. :lol: I don't understand some people's Harry Potter worship either, but at the same time people don't understand why I like the things I like either sooo.... meh.

XPT707FX and Mathemagician like this.
  17. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

You guys get it. People are just into what they’re into. Like how people on this forum like metal. But most people don’t want to have anything to do with screaming in their songs. Exception always made for Linkin Park of course.

18. PunkBillCarson

As much as I love Harry Potter, and I still read the books every year, Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicles and Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere Collection is WAAYYYYYY better.

AxeHappy likes this.
  19. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

I don't think the HP series is even well written for a children's story.

efiltsohg likes this.
  20. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire grossly incandescent

harry potter is meh. artemis fowl is where it's at.

AxeHappy and Ordacleaphobia like this.