Unpopular opinions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by icos211, Feb 10, 2015.

1. lurè

lurè Can't buy skill so I buy gear

Yes, but please do not boil It.
    Some people go crazy for boiled chicken, which tastes like a car tire.
    I'd rather have a flebo for dinner than boiled chicken.

A-Branger likes this.
  2. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

No man that's where you're wrong. Boil some chicken, let it rest a few days on the back of the fridge, then microwave it. That's where it's at it's best. Because everybody knows microwave makes everything taste much better...

3. Randy

Randy Sous Chef Super Moderator

Chick Fil A is overrated. It's better than the chicken sandwiches at other fast food restaurants but that's a very low bar. Give me a burger or chicken without a bun.

tedtan likes this.
  4. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

I feel the same way about oven cooked fish. My mom loves to do that and theres no something I find more disgusting than that (sorry mom).... I love fish, but theres something about cooking it on a oven (wrap in foil with no idea what inside) that makes me puke. Either the amount of water that comes with, or mostly the horrible fish smells that lingers around the kitchen

and yeah it might be really soft meat... but between how soft it is and how "wet" it comes thats what I hate about it....buaghhh

Ordacleaphobia likes this.
  5. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Nope. Chicken doesn't really taste like anything, you always have to put a ton of spice on it to make it taste like something, unlike good meat. I can't really argue about what's best though, because I generally like everything as long as it's made the right way...
    About oven fish, I really like oven made salmon, it's gotta have lots of salt on it though or some soft cheese spread or something. And sure, it gets better in the bbq (like pretty much everything does :lol: )

6. lurè

lurè Can't buy skill so I buy gear

Didn't know cheese on fish was legal.

Chicken is very underrated: It can be very good with the right amount of cooking time in the oven or bbq, but most people have the tendency to overcook It till It becomes a piece of plastic.

7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire what is shred may never die

the only time cheese is acceptable on fish is a decent whitefish that gets crusted in parmesan/garlic and baked imo. putting cheese on salmon is :barf:

Smaller fish taste better than bigger fish 99% of the time. I've eaten so many trout over the years and the bigger ones just taste muddier/have worse texture, even when I catch them in cold clear water like lake superior or out in MT/WY.
    Also striped bass taste 10x better than any smallmouth or bigmouth bass I've ever caught. Way meatier and firmer flesh, almost barracuda/chicken esque in texture comparatively.
    the best whitefish I've ever caught/eaten though was barracuda. It seriously had such firm flesh that it reminded me of chicken in texture (not in flavor obviously), and eating it fresh off the grill with fresh tortillas/salsa made it even better. I like it more than I like mahi-mahi (which is also an excellent fish to eat imo).

8. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Not normal cheese, I'm talking about cheese spread kind of thing that mostly resembles flavored butter (but melts differently in the oven). Blue cheese (like Gorgonzola) also goes really well with salmon, especially smoked salmon.

Yeah, I guess it's because people are afraid of salmonella so they overcook it just in case. I'm not saying chicken isn't good, it just needs a bunch of spice not to taste bland, which is why I don't rate it that highly. Still, many of my favorite foods are chicken based :lol:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  9. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

Seriously. I went fishing with my dad at Monterey in socal and we were pulling up 3~4 little mackerel at a time with a jig off the pier. Must have hauled in about 40 fish. Sauteed with butter and garlic and those things tasted like heaven.

In the bigger fish department though, Lingcod has also always treated me well. Fun to catch, tasty on the plate. I need to hit the ocean again, haven't gone fishing since we moved away from the bay. Fish in general has kind of been ruined for me though; a couple years back during salmon season my uncle and my dad caught their limit for like a week straight. We had salmon for like a month and after that, I can't really handle the texture of fish anymore :lol:

Loving how this thread turned into cooking general.

10. KnightBrolaire

Yeah, my mom went on a salmon kick years ago that basically ruined salmon for me. We ate it pretty much every night for a month. Now I only eat salmon if I catch it, so I eat it like once a year. I just grill it skin side down, and brush the meat side with a bit of butter. I put a little bit of lemon juice on right at the end just to cut through the richness.

cwhitey2 likes this.
  11. Randy

Randy Sous Chef Super Moderator

Was on a salmon kick myself when me and my better half were dieting a couple years back. Fish in general really, but especially salmon. Great meal, especially if you haven't had it in a while but cook it wrong ONCE and it can ruin your appetite for a LONG time. I go fresh as often as I can but I'd keep some frozen around and that cooked just fine but once or twice the went into the pan and came out too soon, and while cooked, they were water-logged and tasted awful. After that, you just can't look at them the same way for a while.

12. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

13. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

This is true fish and game, but it is true of most animals, too: suckling pig vs. a 400lb adult, veal vs. an old cow past her prime, lamb vs. mutton, etc.

There's another fish in the Gulf of Mexico (and in summer, up the Atlantic coast) called a ling or cobia with firm texture like that, too, if you ever find yourself fishing in the vicinity.

Now for the unpopular opinion: quail, cornish game hen, pheasant breast etc., are better than chicken because they have more flavor.

LordIronSpatula likes this.
  14. MaxOfMetal

I agree. But quail, like duck, is just so damn oily.

15. KnightBrolaire

pheasant isn't worth eating imo. I'll take a goose or duck over that any day.
    Also, frying things in rendered animal fat (pork/duck/whatever) makes them 10000x better, health consequences be damned.

16. MaxOfMetal

Lard is the best. While not especially healthy, it's not too bad when eaten in moderation, which is really the problem with the American diet.

When I cook with lard it's when making a very rich, yet modestly sized meal. More of a petite filet than a big ol' ribeye or spoon cut.

17. KnightBrolaire

I love lard. I use it more than I use butter.
    Lard really isn't that bad for you, there's just some negative stigma left over from the low fat/low cholesterol craze hovering out there (although people at risk for heart disease/atherosclerosis shouldn't be eating lots of it :lol:) The human body is surprisingly good at adapting to a wide range of diets (from all meat/fat like the eskimos to all plants), but the western diet is just way too calorie/carb/fat/everything dense, and people get far too little physical activity to mitigate that excess.

18. MaxOfMetal

I get a big brick of tallow when I get my side of beef, but I always go back to lard, even though it doesn't keep as well. It's just better for pan searing.

I still like the taste of butter, and prefer it for baking as lard and tallow make things too flakey.

19. KnightBrolaire

oh don't get me wrong, i absolutely love butter, especially for baking, but when it comes to pan searing or frying/making roux/gravy, i use lard. lard has a better umami quality than butter imo.

20. Furtive Glance

Furtive Glance "Snaaaake!!!"

Babies and small children that are incapable of shutting up should be banned from Remembrance Day ceremonies.