Unpopular opinions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by icos211, Feb 10, 2015.

1. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Yeah I know. That'll be the biggest step for me is keeping the weight off. It's falling off easily enough, but note that I said you don't need meat with EVERY meal. I have meat once a day. That's it. That's more than enough. Everything else is vegetables, some fruit, and a lot of water. I do have rice here and there along with some potatoes, but obviously I can't do that a whole lot, given my condition. However, those things that you brought up, I do appreciate it and I will take that to heart when the time comes, so again, thank you. :)

2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I mean it very seriously -> If you are losing weight easily/quickly, it's because it's not actually enough. Which might be fine for now, but eventually, you will need to adjust. And the point at which this has to happen can sneak up on you. The trick is that dieting like that puts you into a state where the normal cues for hunger/eating get screwed up and you don't realize it's happening. Maybe this won't happen to you, maybe you're doing this more carefully than I did, but don't take this kind of advice lightly.

I spent two years thinking that a big concern was keeping the weight off. Prioritizing the aversion to re-gaining weight is basically the first step to anorexia. It sounds ridiculous, I know that. But it's the truth.

3. PunkBillCarson

Oh I'm not taking the advice lightly. I'm heeding it because you've been through it and you know what it's like. I should also say that my job keeps me on my feet. I walk the equivalent of four miles a night, so that could be a contributing factor. I will say, it's not as if I'm eating very small meals, I'm not. I'm eating fairly decently sized meals, but over time, I took away more meat and added more vegetables and like I said, before, plenty of water. The thing I'm struggling with is working this around my type 2 diabetes because I can't have a lot of carbs, so that's a challenge for me.

TedEH likes this.
  4. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I am also not an expert at all. I just think I serve as a good example of how one can think they're being healthy when they really aren't. :lol:
    Apologies for sidetracking the thread with health conversation. You may resume your venting and arguing over unpopular things.

5. PunkBillCarson

I appreciate the advice, again. :)

Unpopular opinion... Hmm... No Man's Sky and Mass Effect: Andromeda are good games.

6. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

ME: Andromeda, in my books, counts as a thing that gets discounted for being the worst version of a good thing, but taken in it's own right, is a perfectly fine game.

7. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

OMG yes!!, last year when I went to NAMM that was my first time in 'murica in my adult life (not being a kid or with my parents for a couple fo days), everything is huuuuuge. everytime we went to eat I always laughed at how massive the glasses were. Plus I dont think I could finish any meal I ate.

I remeber one day one of us asked for a "quarter chicken" in one fo those chicken/waffles things (which btw it was awfull awful combination of foods) when the plate came in, his first words were "did you jsut bring me a whole chicken?" .... for what we are used in 'Straya, you guys are far too extreme.

after the trip I talked with one fo my best friends that shes from Boston on how she does it, as she is skinny. She told me "thats why you have doggie bags", lol she always either share the order between two, or takes half to go. Gonna have to try that next year

It also reminded me first time I came back to my country (Venezuela) after liviing in Australia, I went to the cinema and asked for a "small" popcorn, they gave me what its a "large" over here hahah

took a bit a pushing, but that was one of the things I force myself to do many many years ago, to always ask for the small size. You think that little papar bag of fries at McDonalls is not enough. But it is!! way more than enough

Also I read someone mention "bland" food, refering to a broccoli. Thats because you still ahve all teh suggar in your system. One of the biggest factors to make people fat is suggar, not the amount of "fat" on food. Just because its "fat free" doesnt mean its not full of suggar. Its adictive and makes you crave more, it change your taste palette and it would give you withdraws like any drug if you try to quit.

I was adicted to a brand of energy drink over here (Mother, which is far far far far far better than the stupid Monster you guys love over there), till the point I used to drink two cans of 500ml almost every day. One a day was pretty muhc normal. And like people adicted to coffee I felt normal after drinking one. Once I learned about sugar (go watch "The Suggar Film" doco) I decided to cut it and change into the suggar free one..... It tasted like shit at first, but I forced myself. After a while it started to taste better and better, till the point it was the perfect taste for me, and when I tried to regular one as they didnt had any other, I fully despite the flavour, it was soooooooo sweet and suggary and for the first time I could actually taste the huge amount of suggar in it..... Eventually was adicted to those suggar free, till I forced myself again out of it, till the point I only drink watter now. Its been months since I stopped and I bough a can the other day and I couldnt even finish it, but it make me felt ill.

Now Im drinking pretty muhc watter 90% of the time. EVen at the cinema and Mcdonalls I ask for a bottle of water. Something I would never ever saw myself doing as those were my "treats". But I cant handle coke anymore. Coke 0 yeh but not regular one

8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

calorically speaking fat is more dense than carbs/sugars. fat is 9 kcal per gram and carbs are 4.5 kcal per gram

9. NateFalcon

NateFalcon Party’s over

Yeah, but in the body, carbohydrates (sugars) metabolize into fat when they are stored

A-Branger likes this.
  10. KnightBrolaire

the higher calorie count of fat makes it more efficient to cut from your diet if you're trying to lose weight, cutting carbs isn't as efficient. the body needs a certain amount of carbs to function, especially the brain, which thrives on simple sugars.

NateFalcon likes this.
  11. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

Everything can be stored as fat eventually.

Excess calories are what make one fat not any specific macro or micro nutrient and certainly not any one specific type of food.

12. KnightBrolaire

ehh not everything is stored as fat, fiber and complex starches don't properly catabolize so they don't get converted. You're right that total calorie intake matters more than the macros.

13. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

14. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

So next unpopular opinion: Monster energy drink sucks :lol: I mean, I like energy drinks in general (the ones that taste more or less like Red Bull), but Monster is something I just can't stand. There's many flavors of it, and they're all waaaaay too sweet and I recall one of them tasting like liquid bubble gum. And I don't like bubble gum.
    To continue the getting hooked on energy drinks thing, yeah, I did the same a couple of years ago. The cheapest energy drink over here is called Megaforce, and that basically costs less than bottled water in the super markets :lol: I used to drink one 500ml can of that every day until I realized I was just tired all the time but still couldn't sleep when I should have. Then I decided I'd had enough, and just switched to drinking slightly more coffee than normally + water. Have been sleeping better since! Now I only drink energy drinks if I'm super tired but still need to keep going.

A-Branger likes this.
  15. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Ugh. Energy drinks make me want to puke more than thinking about alcohol when I was hungover and used to drink ever did. Yuck. Horrendous smell.

NateFalcon likes this.
  16. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Yeah energy drinks are very good mixers because they cover up the alcohol really well. I used to drink 50/50 vodka+energy drink cocktails a lot when I was younger, no problems because you'd barely notice the alcohol even though there was like 20% of it in the mix.
    I get the puking thing though - I drank Koskenkorva Salmiakki (licorice flavored liquor) a lot when I was a kid and threw it up many times, so now I feel like puking if I even smell something similar. Also I can't stand a certain kind of toilet freshener because I've smelled it too many times while vomiting :lol:

17. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

yeah, but because something its "fat free" doesnt mean its healthy, the added sugar does equal if not worse damage. Im talking about refined suggar, and added. Not about natural sugar than comes with the food itself, like on a fruit.

Eatiing a yogurt is not "healty", you might be better off eating an icecream. Granola bar?, its like eating a snickers, ect ect. You would be surprised on how much suggar is on food labeled and marketed as "healthy"

same with juice. The only juice that its good to drink is 100% natural, any other comes with loads of suggar in them. Drinking an orange juice is not better than drinking a can of coke

go watch The Suggar Film, it was an eye oppener for me. Like on supersized me, this guy goes into a "healty diet", eating only products labeled and marketed as healty food, yet he puts lots of weight and goes into a un-healthy state monitored by doctors. Plus the doco is well made

18. lurè

lurè Thy Art Is Mambo

I honestly think there's no cut-off between healty and unhelaty food.
    As long as you are introducing the right amount of calories (right for you), correctly divided between your macros and micros, you are totally fine and can eat whatever you want.
    The tricky part is that the average person eating a big mac doesn't take into account that is introducing half of his full day calories.

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  19. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

To a point. It's something like the "yogurt isn't healthy, have ice cream instead!" comment -> neither is a black and white "healthy" or "unhealthy" choice, they just need to fit into the context of whatever else you're already eating. But that's a far cry from choosing a glass of water or a coffee with no sugar over chugging a bottle of coke. I'd be fine with a blanket statement of "soda is probably just bad for you", or making it a general rule to prefer things that don't have much added sugar in general, but I agree the line isn't so clear in a lot of other cases.

20. KnightBrolaire

i'm not advocating a fat free diet, all i was saying is that for people trying to lose weight, cutting fat from their diet is more metabolically efficient than cutting carbs due to fat being more calorically dense. it's just another way to approach weight loss besides just slashing calorie intake across the board, or doing keto,etc.

NateFalcon likes this.