Unpopular opinions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by icos211, Feb 10, 2015.

1. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

yeah but thats cool when its just natural of the dog to do so. My problem comes when people get a dog and train them exclusevely to "protect the house", because those are the dogs who only get to stay and live in the backyard and in some cases be chained up with little interaction with people.... but then they get yelled at because "they are barking too much"

if you wannna have a dog, have a dog, not have an alarm with legs....

also, dogs are meant to be inside the house, no matter the size. Sleeping inside and in your bed, or just laying next to you if they want.... If someone doesnt allow a dog to get inside, they dont deserve a dog

AxeHappy, The906, watson503 and 2 others like this.
  2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Strikes me as a bit odd to say dogs "belong inside". My gut reaction is to think the natural place for a dog (or any animal really) is outside, although the more I think about it maybe that's not the case anymore once an animal is domesticated? Depending on the climate, I don't think they're unprepared for the outdoors as long as they have a decent amount of space etc. I get what you mean though, I think.

3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Wolves belong outdoors, dogs belong indoors most of the time.

Folks tend to breed and buy dogs well outside of the environment that they are best suited for (e.g. Huskies in Florida, Chinese Cresteds in Alaska). Not to mention all the breeds who have trouble surviving without intervention even in good scenarios like American Bulldogs and Pugs.

AxeHappy likes this.
  4. NateFalcon

NateFalcon The Impossible Kid

Nvm...

Attached Files:

5. Randy

Randy ROOMFORYOUROOMFORYOUROOMFORYOU Super Moderator

Domesticated is the key.

Also, wild dogs were heartier and tuned to their environment through evolution. Humans bred dogs for specific appearences and specific jobs, so most of the breeds you see now aren't specifically attuned to being left in the wilderness. My dog shivers uncontrollably if we're outside for an extended period of time during the late fall or winter, for example.

And back to the domesticated thing. We all know wolves and coyotes are typically stealthy animals that avoid people at all costs. I went and visited my family in the Caribbean one time, and they have a tremendous wild dog population are almost entirely domesticated dogs that went loose or ran away and interbred or whatever, and you'd see them come out of the woods in tourist areas to beg for food then run back into the woods when they were done. Their behavior is so far from what would be considered wild dog behavior, it's hard to imagine they'd survive without humans.

Modern dogs are companion animals. Some parts of their instincts remain intact but through domestication, a large amount OF those instincts are now human centric (like the story bostjan mentioned about the dog attacking a creepy guy despite never being trained to). Like it or not, we made dogs what they are today and since a large part of their makeup is now focused on how to serve their human, it's hard NOT to be sympathetic toward them. For most people anyway.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 4:38 PM
    AxeHappy likes this.
  6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire baritone zone

Yeah, we literally spent thousands of years breeding dogs to be sociable and friendly to humans. Interesting thing is that as we bred dogs more and more for desirable traits like friendliness and sociability their physical form changed to an extent. Look up the silver fox domestication program that russia has been doing for the last 70 years, it's pretty interesting to see how there's a genetic component to domesticating dogs, and how those genes exert the typical domesticated dog look (ie floppy ears, curling up tails, bigger eyes, etc).

AxeHappy likes this.
  7. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Yeh, this all makes sense. I still imagine that a lot of breeds can handle being outside most of the time, but I can also picture lots of breeds that would do really poorly outside.

8. NateFalcon

NateFalcon The Impossible Kid

I read a story once that when God created a divide to separate man and animal he split the earth in two and as the ground opened up, the wolf jumped across at the last second. I found it touching...

9. Randy

Randy ROOMFORYOUROOMFORYOUROOMFORYOU Super Moderator

And then cats pushed man in.

A-Branger likes this.
  10. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Of course the right dog with the right breeding in good health will do just fine in the right climate. It's just that's typically rare these days. On all counts.

Surviving and prospering being two separate things as well.

A good example are street dogs in poorer regions. They thrive, but that's mainly because they've adapted through many generations.

11. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

I mean for the most part my dog stays outside, and she likes to lay down on a corner on a "cave" under a tree. But she can come in/out of the house when she wants

they still have their instinct to protect their pack. Mine is loyal to me no matter what, reason why I never take a lead with her. I would sit on a park with lots of people ahving their picninc and I would say to her "go and say hi to people"... she would wonder around a bit, people would try to pat her but shes like "meh", eventually she would come to me, and she would always keep an eye on me, so If I go she would follow.... She would also try to catch the posums around the house and chase wild turkeys

before her I had another bordercolie, that one came from a working family but we got her as a rescue pup. She wold love to chase the ball, but on the park she wont care about it, but she would try to round up the whole pack of dogs that were runing after a ball lol... she was awesome

thankfully Ive never been in a danger situation (non my ex who I shared the dogs with)... but I like to think she would try to protect us

12. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

At the risk of starting another war on SSO:

Cats are better than dogs. Dogs are shit.

AxeHappy likes this.
  13. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Eh. I'm not even particularly a dog person, and I think it depends highly on the dog itself. Some dogs I can't fucking stand, because they just irritate me or they are too hyper and as a result, I can't stand them. Then there are some dogs that I think are awesome, and have moments where they are hyper and wanna play, whereas there are also times when they just wanna chill and hang out with you while you read or play games or whatever. My cousin's two dogs were like this, and they were cool to watch when I'd house sit for him occasionally. That said, I was sort of a bad house sitter, because I'd give his dogs a bit more food that usual (he was a stickler for measuring out a certain amount of food for them). I did, however, stick close to the guidelines for the rest of his pets for various reasons, because they might overeat themselves, or the fish tank might get crummy looking.

14. Vyn

I think the only two dogs I've ever gotten along with naturally are my sister's two miniature dachshunds and even then that's because they behave more like cats than dogs.

15. ImNotAhab

ImNotAhab ChronicUnderachiever

Mustard beats ketchup on burgers and hot dogs.

16. The906

The906 Hella rad Contributor

Fries too.

17. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

I'll have my dog eat you and your cat and then both you and your cat will be shit. Checkmate... unless your cat is a lion or panther or something...

18. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

:rofl:

19. Vyn

My cats have successfully tag-teamed a stupid German Sheppard that was foolish enough to come into our yard. It proceeded to run away minus an eye with it's tail between legs xD

AxeHappy likes this.
  20. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Goddamn, what kind of cats do you have? As far as dogs vs cats, I have both and I love them both dearly, that's just me though. I'm an animal lover in general.

I play music and Mathemagician like this.