Unpopular opinions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by icos211, Feb 10, 2015.

1. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I think I know what you are saying there, but one I never understood was Danelectro. As a little kid, I wanted a guitar like the one Jimmy Page used for alternate tuning, and when I first tried an old Danelectro, I was shocked at how horrible it was- clunky tone, rattly body, nothing seemed to fit flush with anything else, action a mile high and still fret buzz... Years later, working as a tech, sometimes people would bring in their old Silvertone or Stella or KMart special guitars for a set up. Of course, everything back then on cheap guitars was glued into place without adjustment, so, what can you do? Steam off the neck, and glue it back on straight?! Ugh.
    Another one that I sometimes struggled with was Rickenbacker. Obviously way better than the Sears or KMart special, but unbelievably unadjustable for how much monetary value those things held.
    Old acoustics almost never seemed to have anything adjustable on them. I spent a lot of time working on old Martins with no adjustments on the truss rod. Surprising how such a prized and iconic and nearly priceless guitar would have an unadjustable truss rod and still have a lot of issues with backbow.
    Funny how all of your time around old instruments made you cherish them and all of my time around old instruments made me shy away from them.
    If it's worth the trouble, though, I certainly can't fault anyone for their preference.
    Different strokes for sure.

NateFalcon likes this.
  2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

The most tempted I've ever been to buy into a custom made instrument was when I met a guy who made some super unique acoustics that had a lot of modern and adjustable features on them. The neck was bolted on in a way that you could move it around to compensate for any wood movement, the bridge was a custom made contraption that let you do pretty much as much setup as you would on an electric, etc. I wish more acoustics were like this.

3. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

Yeah, those old Martin with the T bar truss rod leave a bit to be desired in terms of set up. You have some room to adjust the forward or back bow to get proper relief by using compression fretting (adjusting the fret tang width such that is causes more or less back bow), but you're limited in what you can do, especially if someone has already widened the fret slots.

4. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Tried an Ibanez Iron Label with Fusion Edge pickups and I have to say, I didn't hate the pickups exactly. They actually sounded decent to me.

5. ReignIB

ReignIB SS.org Regular

Speaking of unpopular opinions and since you brought evolution up - I have an opinion that is rather unpopular with some crowds -> the concept of evolution by natural selection as described by Darwin (which is pretty much what is taught in schools) is unproven at best or straight up false at worst.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  6. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I was under the impression that this *was* proven?

AxeHappy and bostjan like this.
  7. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

There is a ton of evidence, starting with this: https://www.khanacademy.org/science...l-selection/a/lines-of-evidence-for-evolution

There have been splits in species observed in real time during our lifetime.

I mean, evolution is proven.

Natural selection is pretty sound as a logical argument. Things ill-adapted to survival tend to die. I mean, there really isn't any argument that suits itself against that idea.

So, yeah, it's proven. The only way to finagle out of it is to simply cut off the discussion and say "I don't believe it."

And whether or not something is proven is not a matter of opinion. You get your own opinion, but no one gets his or her own facts.

AxeHappy, xzacx and Mathemagician like this.
  8. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

The Jazzmaster/Jaguar shape is ugly as modern HH metal guitars.

It was quirky and neat as those original, rather oddball Fender designs and was later copied by early European and Asian manufacturers into even quirkier offsets.

But the body shape on it's own is bulky and amorphous, especially when there's nothing but a couple buckers and a knob on front.

Mathemagician likes this.
  9. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

the easiest example for evolution/speciation by natural selection is the advent/proliferation of antibiotic strains of bacteria. Not to mention some have the ability to collect plasmids from other species and gain that species' resistances.
    http://www.contagionlive.com/news/p...tance-among-unrelated-bacteria-at-us-hospital
    https://www.nature.com/articles/npjbiofilms201527
    http://mmbr.asm.org/content/74/3/417.full.pdf&a=bi&pagenumber=1&w=100
    http://www.im.microbios.org/04december98/06 lenski.pdf

AxeHappy likes this.
  10. groverj3

groverj3 Biologist/Guitarist

Eh, might as well just point to Richard Lenski's long term evolution experiment. Experimental evolution is had to do, due to the timescales involved, but for microbes it's doable. Species definitions are arbitrary enough that the bacterial strains that have evolved the ability to use new nutrient sources in the lab under stress for many many generations might as well be a new species.

I study epigenetics, so it's only tangential at best to this, but I try to keep reasonably up to date on other areas' literature.

AxeHappy and KnightBrolaire like this.
  11. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

As soon as someone starts even toying with playing “devils advocate” against things that have been proven, like evolution I just write them off as a fucking idiot and never look back.

If they’re my client i’ll keep playing nice because it doesn’t affect my ability to do my job.

But the type of people that think all opinions are created equal and should still get a fair shake once proven incorrect are the ones holding science and growth back.

Whether the topic is science or economics, there is a difference between a conservative viewpoint and a regressive one. Once one starts holding everyone else back, I’m done with them.

AxeHappy and xzacx like this.
  12. MaxOfMetal

Jeez dude, I was just talking about Jazzmasters.

FILTHnFEAR, tedtan, A-Branger and 2 others like this.
  13. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I was referencing other posts. I don’t know what you mean?

Separately, I also agree that jazzmasyer bodies are lackluster for more modern metal guitars.

14. MaxOfMetal

I was just making a joke. Trying to lighten the mood. :)

15. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I love group think.

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  16. KnightBrolaire

jazzmaster>>>> any other shape fender made

17. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

Katana >>>> Jazzmaster

18. MaxOfMetal

Even the Katana?

[​IMG]

Though, you'd be right if you meant the Performer:

[​IMG]

19. ReignIB

ReignIB SS.org Regular

they stay within the same phylogenetic boundaries, no "macroevolution" has been observed.
    also see my response to groverj3 below.

sure, microbiology has a funky taxonomy, although the common definition of the strain is to be a sub-species level delineation.

Asians have higher level of lactose intolerance compared to darker skinned African population. That said though - I would agree that lactose tolerance levels in certain populations can be attributed to adaptation under strong environmental pressure - if all you have to eat is milk that would weed out lactose intolerant segment quite fast.
    So yes, that pressure can be seen as the driving force behind the in-species adaptation but that's not what I'm arguing against.

that's a pretty common defense mechanism among the non-educated but indoctrinated populace, you're not the only one.

20. KnightBrolaire

The katana is an abomination. It looks like a broken dorito with a guitar neck attached to it. OR better yet, it's like if neal moser took the concorde and made it worse.
    Don't get me wrong I love pointy guitars and Vs, but the katana is neither a good pointy guitar or a good v.