Unpopular opinions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by icos211, Feb 10, 2015.

1. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

Yeah, those old Martin with the T bar truss rod leave a bit to be desired in terms of set up. You have some room to adjust the forward or back bow to get proper relief by using compression fretting (adjusting the fret tang width such that is causes more or less back bow), but you're limited in what you can do, especially if someone has already widened the fret slots.

2. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Tried an Ibanez Iron Label with Fusion Edge pickups and I have to say, I didn't hate the pickups exactly. They actually sounded decent to me.

3. ReignIB

ReignIB SS.org Regular

Speaking of unpopular opinions and since you brought evolution up - I have an opinion that is rather unpopular with some crowds -> the concept of evolution by natural selection as described by Darwin (which is pretty much what is taught in schools) is unproven at best or straight up false at worst.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  4. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I was under the impression that this *was* proven?

AxeHappy and bostjan like this.
  5. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

There is a ton of evidence, starting with this: https://www.khanacademy.org/science...l-selection/a/lines-of-evidence-for-evolution

There have been splits in species observed in real time during our lifetime.

I mean, evolution is proven.

Natural selection is pretty sound as a logical argument. Things ill-adapted to survival tend to die. I mean, there really isn't any argument that suits itself against that idea.

So, yeah, it's proven. The only way to finagle out of it is to simply cut off the discussion and say "I don't believe it."

And whether or not something is proven is not a matter of opinion. You get your own opinion, but no one gets his or her own facts.

AxeHappy, xzacx and Mathemagician like this.
  6. ReignIB

ReignIB SS.org Regular

Evolution as in "emergence of increasingly complex life forms throughout time" is indeed a fact that is hard to argue with.
    But the driving force behind this process is not "proven" by any stretch of imagination.

Natural selection for example has been proven to be applicable within the context of the same species (there are some questions even at that level actually) but there is no described mechanism (let alone experiment) sufficiently explaining how it would lead to speciation.

7. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

The Jazzmaster/Jaguar shape is ugly as modern HH metal guitars.

It was quirky and neat as those original, rather oddball Fender designs and was later copied by early European and Asian manufacturers into even quirkier offsets.

But the body shape on it's own is bulky and amorphous, especially when there's nothing but a couple buckers and a knob on front.

Mathemagician likes this.
  8. groverj3

groverj3 Biologist/Guitarist

From a biologist, the definition of a "species" is hardly as precise as you'd probably think :lol:

Darwin's theories are incomplete, and a product of 19th century thinking. That's why we have better explanations now, but they build on his thinking rather than provide evidence to the contrary. He was most definitely on the right track (and wasn't even the first person to propose evolution and natural selection).

AxeHappy likes this.
  9. ReignIB

ReignIB SS.org Regular

I'm quite aware of the multiple non-precise definitions of species.
    As I'm sure you (if you are indeed a biologist) are aware of the fact that there's zero evidence out there of speciation triggered by natural selection.
    As well as problems with even a much more modest step - adaptation within the same species triggered by a single member of the species attaining certain features that would supposedly lead to an "evolutionary advantage" but instead get diluted in the population. Almost as if the 2nd law of TD was at work somehow :)

Besides, isn't that a vet school mascot you got up there? :)
    (j/k - I'm a spartans fan myself).

10. iamaom

iamaom SS.org Regular

Can't think of an example off hand, I'll post if I can find one (no time right now), but I don't want to make it seem like I'm ignoring this part of the post due to lack of evidence.

I can digest lactose which provides much needed calories and vitamin D for my pale skin that makes me avoid the sun, while many of my darker skinned brethren cannot.

Here's some reading:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2817147/
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3046152/
    http://philsci-archive.pitt.edu/13058/1/Routledge preprint (22-05-17).pdf

What? How does entropy stop an open system of animals from acquiring a new trait?

AxeHappy likes this.
  11. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire gearwhoricus americanus

the easiest example for evolution/speciation by natural selection is the advent/proliferation of antibiotic strains of bacteria. Not to mention some have the ability to collect plasmids from other species and gain that species' resistances.
    http://www.contagionlive.com/news/p...tance-among-unrelated-bacteria-at-us-hospital
    https://www.nature.com/articles/npjbiofilms201527
    http://mmbr.asm.org/content/74/3/417.full.pdf&a=bi&pagenumber=1&w=100
    http://www.im.microbios.org/04december98/06 lenski.pdf

AxeHappy likes this.
  12. groverj3

groverj3 Biologist/Guitarist

Eh, might as well just point to Richard Lenski's long term evolution experiment. Experimental evolution is had to do, due to the timescales involved, but for microbes it's doable. Species definitions are arbitrary enough that the bacterial strains that have evolved the ability to use new nutrient sources in the lab under stress for many many generations might as well be a new species.

I study epigenetics, so it's only tangential at best to this, but I try to keep reasonably up to date on other areas' literature.

AxeHappy and KnightBrolaire like this.
  13. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

As soon as someone starts even toying with playing “devils advocate” against things that have been proven, like evolution I just write them off as a fucking idiot and never look back.

If they’re my client i’ll keep playing nice because it doesn’t affect my ability to do my job.

But the type of people that think all opinions are created equal and should still get a fair shake once proven incorrect are the ones holding science and growth back.

Whether the topic is science or economics, there is a difference between a conservative viewpoint and a regressive one. Once one starts holding everyone else back, I’m done with them.

AxeHappy and xzacx like this.
  14. MaxOfMetal

Jeez dude, I was just talking about Jazzmasters.

15. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I was referencing other posts. I don’t know what you mean?

Separately, I also agree that jazzmasyer bodies are lackluster for more modern metal guitars.

16. MaxOfMetal

I was just making a joke. Trying to lighten the mood. :)

17. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I love group think.

18. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire gearwhoricus americanus

jazzmaster>>>> any other shape fender made

19. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

Katana >>>> Jazzmaster

20. MaxOfMetal

Even the Katana?