Unpopular opinions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by icos211, Feb 10, 2015.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire gearwhoricus americanus

I was being dead serious. Billy Talent actually has a lot of surprisingly difficult and catchy riffs.

2. NateFalcon

NateFalcon has body parts lying around

I read an article when Ghost was hitting it popular about them rounding up shitloads of vintage amps and guitars...I thought it was going to either be some epic tone-based work or a bunch of weird, hyped BS...turned out to be another Rob Zombie-ish art project- like a bad rock opera. I couldn’t care less about obscure amps and gear choices when the music is that lackluster IMO

3. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

My sister saw them live at Hellfest when they had the kids from the local school singing. To bad the parents of said kids had to pay full ticket price to see their kids on stage...

4. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Powerwolf. Powerwolf is what you want. Sanctified in Dynamite is hot fire.

A-Branger likes this.
  5. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Wonder whose fault that was.

6. Mprinsje

Mprinsje st. anger ain't bad!

Is this really that unpopular of an opinion? i mean, i dislike Ghost as much as the next guy but i feel like i see this opinion every other page here.

Mathemagician likes this.
  7. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

What I came here to say. Every other social media page there's someone ripping on Ghost. Hell, posting that you love Ghost would be the unpopular opinion.

8. KnightBrolaire

Wanna hear something funny? I apparently saw ghost open for mastodon years ago on their Hunter tour. It honestly never clicked in my brain until just now. They were so forgettable that i didn't even realize i'd seen them live :lol:
    Mastodon was awesome that night though

9. PunkBillCarson

Yeah, you wouldn't forget if you've seen them recently, I can promise you that.

10. KnightBrolaire

the only way I'd see them live again is if they were opening for a band I actually like :lol:

11. PunkBillCarson

No I'm saying with their show and everything, you wouldn't exactly forget, that's what I'm saying. Even people I personally know who don't like Ghost said that their show is great. That said, you can do what you wish. I'm one of those people who's going to make sure by supporting them that they stay on the music news however. :D

AxeHappy and Mathemagician like this.
  12. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Yeah for me, live I’m paying money to get a show. If you like pop for example, as expensive as tickets can get, you are getting costume changes, explosions, giant screens, etc. so something like ghost is extremely fun live.

Metallica had these exploding head balloons when I saw them last and I didn’t see that coming - it was awesome in sync with the songs and everything.

13. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

But why bother dicking around with any metal show that isn't GWAR, at that rate?

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  14. KnightBrolaire

GWAR is fucking awesome live.

FILTHnFEAR, Mathemagician and xzacx like this.
  15. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

So there's a provincial election going on (I can't vote 'cause I live in the province *next to it), and the usual "you must vote no matter what or you're a bad person" commentary is making the rounds. I certainly think people should vote - but I think people need to make *informed* votes. It seems to me like an uninformed vote is as bad, or worse, than not voting. I don't feel super strongly about it, but I think not having any clue what you're voting for is a good reason not to vote. I'd rather that if you're going to perform an action that is going to have an impact on the world around you, it should be pointed and not haphazard.

16. bostjan

Democracy is a great idea, but it's never perfect. Many despots throughout history were elected by popular vote. Hitler was indirectly elected by popular vote (the Nazi party received a plurality of votes in Germany, and he was it's figurehead). It's sort of one of the weaknesses in post-modern thinking. Popular opinion is given more weight than expert opinion. It's why schools have to battle constantly in order to teach the theory of evolution in biology and life science classes. Evolution isn't even what most people think it is... Next it'll be posited that the minority opinion shouted the loudest will have more weight than popular opinion or expert opinion, and we'll have to spend equal time teaching flat earth geography and doctors will have to study homeopathy.

17. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

This kind of already happens though, doesn't it? Via twitter/facebook/etc. The loudest group becomes the image of "what the people think/want". I tend to think that social media does a horrible job of reflecting actual public opinion, despite being treated as a window into the thoughts of the average person.

Now I'm curious... what do people think evolution is?

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  18. bostjan

It is, sometimes, but will be, more and more, as the majority of people stop listening to reason and start listening to bullshit.

People think that evolution is the polar opposite of creationism.

"Evolution" is simply the biological process of change and diversification over successive generations.

"If we evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?" is the sort of question that simply ticks all of the boxes of not understanding what the fuck evolution is.

Also, the entire debate over "should the 'theory' of evolution be taught in school" is also proof that people have no fucking clue what evolution is. I think people don't know what the word "theory" means in this context, either. Evolution is something that happens - it's been observed in fossil records and it's been observed directly, and there's no question that biological changes occur over successive generations. I am not a genetic clone of my grandfather. The entire creation vs. evolution debate comes from prominent creationists failing to take the time to open a dictionary to actually learn what a word means before they use it in an argument.

For example, if I built a guitar pickup, then decided it needed more output, so I built another with more windings, then liked the result and thus built a third newer pickup with even more winding, that's a textbook example of evolution in a non-biological context. In a biological context, if I bred a wolf into an obedient dog, then bred that obedient dog into herding dogs, hunting dogs, and security dogs, that's actually evolution.

I know you are in Canada, where this is slightly less of an issue than it is in the USA, but you still deal with it.

AxeHappy, FILTHnFEAR and groverj3 like this.
  19. KnightBrolaire

You're right that hitler wasn't directly elected into power. Hitler came into power due to a loophole in the German constitution which essentially gave him emergency powers and allowed him to install himself as a dictator. He said all the right things and claimed he was going to right all the wrongs that the German govt had previously committed (including completely devaluing their currency). The Nazis were in the right place, saying the right things at the right times. People act like his ideas were his and his alone but a surprising majority of the world shared the same ideas of fervent nationalism/militarism, xenophobia and antisemitism, including in the USA. The more you look at how these extremist governments got installed, the more you can see the underlying ideological connections. There's actually a surprising amount of history books that explore this aspect of WWII and how all those ideologies manifested in different governments. I'd really recommend checking out A World At Arms by Gerhard Weinberg, Fall of Berlin by Antony Beevor, and War Without Mercy by John Dower, those should give you a really good overview of the war as a whole.
    Hitler got the idea for the final solution from Marx, mixed it with eugenics/the general concept of scientific racism (which was prevalent worldwide, including in the USA, where eugenics was conceived). If you want to hear the most absurd example of scientific racism black people in the US were not allowed to donate blood due to people believing they were a different species/their blood would be incompatible with white people.
    http://theconversation.com/desegregating-blood-a-civil-rights-struggle-to-remember-37480
    https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/in-the-early-1940s-the-red-cross-banned-black-blood-donors

It's really unfortunate that there's still kind of a "war on science" being waged by the ignorant and lazy. I still see people trying to perpetuate disproven ideas about evolution or vaccines because they're too lazy to spend some time getting information from credible scientific sources. They'd rather take buzzfeed level hokum and mommy blogs written by people with no scientific background as gospel. I honestly feel like we're inching closer and closer towards a real life version of the movie Idiocracy.

FILTHnFEAR and bostjan like this.
  20. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

There is a part of me that would be interested in spending a chunk of time in the US just to see how different it really is. On paper, it sounds like we're 99% the same kind of place, just with different proportions of certain views maybe. I have a feeling there's a bunch of cultural differences that I would need to see in person for it to really sink in that these are very different places.

bostjan likes this.