Unpopular opinions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by icos211, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Ebony

Ebony Mr Sunshine

I also discard people like that. If snapchats of people eating pizza in front of the TV and 5-second clips of cats and fire-farting is more interesting than us spending time together, then why the fuck bother?

Luckily, my small circle of friends is mostly made up of grumpy cavemen that barely use their cellphones, let alone social-media.

High Plains Drifter likes this.
  2. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

I've been lucky to have two people who aren't family come into my house and not be on their phone all the time. I myself haven't owned a phone in 6 years. I find that I'm much happier with family and my pets and not worrying about anyone else.

High Plains Drifter and odibrom like this.
  3. odibrom

odibrom .

That, mr. @PunkBillCarson is having some big balls against what society expects of you, well done sir, well done!

4. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Well I mean, I wouldn't say I've got big balls because of that, it's just that I've only got one life to live and I'm going to live it how I damn well please.

odibrom and _MonSTeR_ like this.
  5. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Probably not the best place for this, but Pete Thorn just demoed a pedal [Royal Drive] that is like $700 on Reverb. I'm sorry, but that is fucking ridiculous. If I were interested in it, I'd just wait for it to get cloned for a third the price.

6. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

^ It's a Dumble in a box. If you think $700 for the pedal is high, try the actual Dumble Overdrive Special amp - the last one I saw listed was over $80k asking price (and some have sold for over $100k).

7. odibrom

odibrom .

If that isn't having big balls... it's the only way...

8. Spaced Out Ace

I think I'd buy an MP Simble or a J Rockett The Dude pedal instead.

9. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

I've never understood complaining about the cost of items, especially when they're subjective items. If I can afford it and want one, then why does anyone else care? If I want to buy a Pete Cornish G2 for $700 and you prefer the $600+ cheaper Muff or the $550+ cheaper V2 that are 99%+ the same circuit and sound, then who cares.

I paid just over $200 for a Snouse Blackbox 2 and Blueline. Together they are as good or better (IMO) as a King of Tone that's $500. I probably could have bought two Mooer Blues Crabs for about $100 if I wanted. Doesn't mean it bothers me one bit when someone buys a KOT though. :coffee:

10. sniperfreak223

sniperfreak223 B.C. Rich loyalist

I think Rob Cavestany has the coolest signature model guitar.

11. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

because the knock on affect is that it speeds up inflation and suddenly even average stuff worth $50 then goes up to $100 and so on.

Eventually the world will go bang.

The second item value stopped being what it should actually be worth morally and based off percentages, and more about whatever stupid price a richer minority are willing to pay for it, ruining it for others, was the reason the global cost of living has gone through the roof.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  12. oracles

oracles Australian in Canda

Morals are entirely subjective.

Secondly, most of the pedals you're complaining about are boutique items. In a lot of cases this means the outfit making them is small, meaning they have to charge more in order to survive. They produce less, they still have to pay themselves, they still carry overhead etc. it's not as simple as "well EHX makes a clone of this for $120, fuck this guy charging $350 for the same thing".

Stop worrying about what other people are paying for their gear. The "richer minority" isn't ruining anything or disadvantaging you when it comes to pedals, or most gear in general.

tedtan likes this.
  13. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

wut?

I havent complained about any pedals. Was just making the pretty obvious point that anytime someone rich, is willing to pay through the nose for something, because of supply and demand, the prices go up.

You cant really argue with that dude. What do you think inflation actually is?. Fairy dust that magically increases prices?
    or is inflation not real?

*Twilight zone*

14. MFB

MFB ExBendable

But ...the items are only in high demand/low supply because they're boutique, meaning by definition "[...] serves a sophisticated or specialized clientele" so if THEY can afford it, but the average Joe has to settle for the knock-off 'mass produced, in stock' version that's non-boutique and thus lower valued, then everything is as it should be? Sure, part of that low supply is driving up prices, but not all of it.

I also don't think he meant 'you' as in literally you - lewis - vs. whomever at the time IS complaining about them, so 'you' as in a generic term for 'anyone else besides me'

Demiurge and oracles like this.
  15. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Generally, if the transaction is conducted in good faith and the buyer knows what they're getting, then I have no problem with it.

The boutique gear market, though, maybe it's approaching some sort of gray area? Are novices & kids being plied into buying Dumbles, Klons, and vintage Fenders? No. But the cottage industry of unproven custom builders and $200 overdrives for internet-guitarist-of-the-month (and however you'd categorize that $7k lefty Juggernaut from awhile back!) feels kind of gross.

16. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

:2c: One unreliable pedal on your pedalboard at a gig is a serious liability, particularly if you use a lot of pedals. I used to think this pedal or that pedal was reliable enough, either because it cost $$$ or because it was a brand that had a reputation for indestructibility, but I have been around long enough now to have been proven wrong in both cases. I'll still apologetically own a swath of pedals, but I limit myself to two pedals at a live show. If I need more than that, I'd consider simplifying things.

17. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

I have a J Rockett Gold Archer that kicks ass, so I would think The Dude would kick ass as well if that is a sound you're going for - they know how to build killer pedals.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  18. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

I'm gonna need you to handover your "B.C. Rich loyalist membership card", ASAP.

Just joking. His signature guitar is cool looking.

19. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

What is something's moral value? How would we even begin to attempt to ascribe value to morals? And why are percentages acceptable? And which ones?

Cost of living is supply and demand, not a few rich people artificially inflating prices.

That has more to do with supply and demand and scarcity of resources than it does with "whatever stupid price a richer minority are willing to pay for it, ruining it for others".

oracles likes this.
  20. Spaced Out Ace

I have an Animal from J Rockett that is kick ass.

tedtan likes this.