Unpopular opinions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by icos211, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Bobro

Bobro SS.org Regular

As far as being able to judge whether music has soul or not, my argument goes like this: music is often compared to literature, poetry, and so on, but I don't buy this (though those kind of perceptions can be a part of music appreciation). I conceive of music more like some kind of kinetic sculpture, that's basically physically boning your earholes. boom-chick, boom-chick foursquare music is obviously not do a good job at thrusting its pelvis, so to speak, so I think it's perfectly fair and even objectively correct to call it soulless and sexless. A corrallary here is the popular association of "simple" music with feeling and soul, and "complex" music with coldness and intellect. The most "complicated" music in the world is the traditional tribal drumming of central Africa, where the whole dang tribe is drumming, each their own unique rhythm, and it all locks into this insane shifting overall groove. I defy anyone to stand up in public and call central African tribes cold and intellectual, but that's just what you're doing when you scorn music as "too complex".

2. odibrom

odibrom .

... so... Science is the new Religion... If science says it is true, it is because science says it, but science is spoken by men, as religions are...

3. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Science is a method of observing, making small predictions, testing those predictions, making more observations, adjusting those predictions and testing them again and again, all the while compiling all of the observations into a working model.
    Religion is the process of making a philosophical idea based on very broad observations, convincing as many other people as possible that those philosophies are true, and remaining fully invested in those philosophies for your entire life.
    Although there might be a few gray areas where corners overlap of these two, the fundamental difference is in the approach of how to deal with being proven wrong. Where science looks into these things deeper, religion just tells its followers to hold fast to the original idea.

For example:

A little before 1900, the ultraviolet catastrophe in science challenged the basis of understanding of how radiation and light worked. How did science handle that? By studying how radiation was emitted and absorbed, developing Planck's law, then developing that into quantum theory and developing quantum theory into LASERs, semiconductors, microcomputers, etc.
    Around the same time, scientists were trying to measure the speed of the the Earth by using light interferometry, and were coming up with a null result every time. Scientists were also noticing that electric and magnetic field theories offered quite a few paradoxes, but measurements confirmed what was predicted by theory, offering no correction factors where they were expected to be necessary. This resulted in science adopting the idea that the speed of light is constant regardless of any frame of reference, and this developed into Einstein's Theory of Special Relativity and that developed into the Theory of General Relativity.
    A religious group a little before all of this predicted that the world would end on a certain date. When that date came and went, the group chastised their members saying that their lack of faith caused the date to be delayed a couple years. When a couple years came and went, and they chose another new date without explanation. When that date came and went, they simply started the practice of arbitrarily choosing a new date of the end of the world every time the old date passed.
    Any time a religious text is updated, the original unrevised text ends up remaining the official text, and the updated text ends up spinning off a new religion, meanwhile things that don't make any sense remain in both versions of the text and never get revised. Some of those who interpret those nonsensical passages literally end up starting things like WBC and ISIS.

Where religion is about believe something to be right or wrong and true or false, with no other possibilities on the spectrum, science acknowledges the possibilities of things being "essentially true on this scale, but not on that scale," "we don't know yet," and even "there is no way of knowing that."

It's a completely different attitude toward how information is kept and used, and it's a fundamentally different way of believing something to be true or not.

AxeHappy, Bobro, oracles and 2 others like this.
  4. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

You stated that you "just find it super backwards that being in the sort of office environment in what's trying to be a very 'progressive' industry results in basically an acceptably 'correct' viewpoint on certain matters." This is in line with most on this board believing that those kind of things are problems exclusive to the political right.

I merely observed that those types of problems are not exclusive to the right, but are prevalent in all groups, even "progressives".

5. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Ah, I think I see what you mean.
    Politics hurt my brain.

6. MickD7

MickD7 SS.org Regular

Stop Kid Rock before that gets out of hand.

Demiurge likes this.
  7. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

No offense, but what level of education do you have? Are you well read on the topic?

I say this because you are literally ignorant of what science is and what the scientific method is.

[​IMG]

AxeHappy, oracles and Mathemagician like this.
  8. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Odibrom sounds like a high schooler being "fake deep" because they read a misinterpreted abstract from a philosophy paper once.

Every post just reads more and more like someone "trying" to sound smart. It's tiring.

I'm here for some unpopular opinions. Not this Tumblr-level bullshit about how Odi failed high school physics.

Here's an unpopular opinion: anything more than one Alice In Chains song in a 40 minute span is too much. I can only listen to them in super small doses.

USMarine75 likes this.
  9. odibrom

odibrom .

dear sir @USMarine75, no offence taken. My level of education is high, very high, I ensure you. Take my words with a grain of salt... and pepper.. and ginger, garlic and eventually some psychotropic substance that enhances brain activity (or so they say)... as for your last statement... can you really know what my knowledge is, do you understand the context of my previous statement, are you sure I'm dead sure/serious about it? Isn't this the controversial and unpopular opinions thread? Mind me asking, who are you sir to call me ignorant? What do you know about me? Is that a picture of you as a younger boy?

dear sir @bostjan, thank you very much for taking the time do sort that out, I was having quite a difficult time finding the difference. But let me correct you ina a little but important matter, ISIS is not religion, it is some military conspiracy built up by the CIA under the cloak of an extreme religion, fully delivered to public by the big media and probably payed in full by the arms factories...

dear sir @Mathemagician the thing about making assumptions on who others are through the limited window of a computer/tablet/phone is tiring. I'm sure you're smarter than that.

... so... is science unquestionable?

10. USMarine75

I need to just stop clicking on these threads. Derp'ers like this give me more 'roid rage than Lambesis [and I don't even use them....].

[​IMG]

KnightBrolaire and Mathemagician like this.
  11. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I really don't like bands that sound like a wall of growls over blast beats.

There's some Gorguts/Cryptopsy/etc that I'm just like "why, why are we all doing this?" As I hear little to no melody.

Also Death's "The Sound of Perseverance" is their best album by a long shot. It's like a newer better band compared to thier older stuff.

AxeHappy and Ordacleaphobia like this.
  12. USMarine75

It is quite evident to me and everyone else here you most certainly DO NOT have a high level of education. And yes I "can know what your knowledge is"... You're quite literally stupid. I mean that in the literal way, as in low IQ and poorly read, and not ad hominem. That is a whole lot of dumb ignorant shiiite right there you just spouted. I literally will never respond to another post by you if I can help it, because I might catch a case of the dummies from you. The worst part is you're trying to troll and you're so ignorant you're not even good at it. :stone:

tl;dr yes that's a photograph of me as a young boy. My mom took it in Brooklyn during the Swing jazz era of the good 'ole '30's. :facepalm:

13. DistinguishedPapyrus

DistinguishedPapyrus SS.org Regular

14. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I ensure you. :lol:

Assure, bro. Assure.

AxeHappy, xzacx, vilk and 1 other person like this.
  15. Spaced Out Ace

Eh. The vocals on Sound are fucking awful, so I'm gonna have to disagree with ya there.

16. USMarine75

17. USMarine75

I ensure you, odibrom is a dink.

18. odibrom

odibrom .

hey, me not English native, some miss spelling may occur... are you selling those?

@Spaced Out Ace, thanks for correcting bro...

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  19. Spaced Out Ace

Well, then that'd make you Doink.

[​IMG]

:cheers:

20. odibrom

odibrom .

I assure (now in the correct form) that odibrom is just a neologism word that has no meaning whatsoever. I just like how it sounds.