Unpopular opinions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by icos211, Feb 10, 2015.

1. oracles

oracles Australian in Canda

100% backed. No one genre is superior to or better than another, it's all personal preferences and totally subjective. For some reason though, metal seems to attract these people the most, and the infighting over made up genres is absolutely pathetic. People harp on black metal for it, but every genre does it and the prog crowd is particularly bad about it.

No one cares that the band you're listening to is more brutal/heavier/prog/technical/whatever the fuck. Dylan from Daemoness is the embodiment of the persona and attitude I wish would just curl over and die already. "I'm more metal/kvlt/brutal than you" good for you. Shitting on Deafheaven for not being "trve metal" and making rap videos in the same breath does wonders for your credibility as a "trve metal" purveyor.

Mathemagician likes this.
  2. oracles

oracles Australian in Canda

Edit: double post

3. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

That's how your comment reads though. You said you can't know something about a piece of music if you didn't write it. Feel free to clarify, but I dunno how else to interpret what you said.

4. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I don't think that's true. If you deep dive into any genre, you'll find elitists.

5. DredFul

DredFul SS.org Regular

I guess I used the words "soul" and "feeling" interchangeably to refer to the emotional load an artist may or may not put into their work. And the way I look at it, the audience can't know the amount(or the lack) of emotion the artist intended the piece of music to have unless the artist makes it clear.

Judging a song is one thing "this song is bad because X". And that's fine and you're allowed and often encouraged to do that.

But for example some comments I see on Sarah Longfields videos are just silly. She posts a video of some clean mid tempo tapping and gets comments like "that has soul" "that has feeling". Then she posts a video of some shredding and gets comments saying "That doesn't have any feeling!". What's the difference?

And my point is: how can the person commenting somehow know the amount of feeling an artist puts to their work? It's like saying "the singer meant Y with these lyrics" when in reality you have no idea what the singer meant unless he told you.

I'm getting carried away here and I hope I don't sound nitpicky but I'm wondering your word choices here. First you talk about judging a piece of music, which I agreed to since there is no real counter argument there. Judging as in "this song is bad". But in your reply I'm now quoting you talk about "knowing". Again I'm probably just getting tied up in the little details but just wanted to make myself clear.

So:

Judging is valuing if the song is good or bad or something in between and anyone can do it. "You don't need to be a chef to know when a meal sucks" right?

But you can't say that "the chef didn't make this pie with love" if you don't actually know whether he did or not.

bostjan likes this.
  6. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

So, I know nobody will really care, and maybe this belongs in the why-are-you-mad or sad threads, but it's vaguely related to unpopular opinions-

Unfortunately, I can't really put this in less-vague terms... Someone, who is a sort of representative or face of a community I'm a part of has made a statement that I disagree with. But I'm stuck in a spot where I can't express my opposing opinion for fear of it being considered politically incorrect and having an impact on my job, since this community is closely tied to work. And it's frustrating. Part of me wants to say I should stand up for my opinion and not let the community speak for me. On the other hand, this is the age where disagreeing with someone on the internet gets you fired now. Soooooooooo......

Remember I said a while back that I don't like activism? I don't like activism. Thanks to activism, I can't take the risk of having the non-popular opinion.

bostjan and Spaced Out Ace like this.
  7. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Where I work, everybody reminds everybody else of every political opinion on a daily basis and no one has been fired over it, that I'm aware of. You should come over here for a while, but I guarantee you'll get sick of hearing it after a short while.

---------------------

Unpopular opinion for this board, but probably not in general:

I think you should tune your guitars and basses to what sounds good, not tune as low as physically possible and then try to make it sound as less-bad as possible. I saw a band who tuned down to either D or Db. Their bass player was visibly annoyed with the chuggy parts where he was bashing his ultrasubsonic low D or Db string faster than the string was oscillating. It might have sounded great on the record, I don't know, but live, everything in those parts sounded like a loose bowel movement to me.

I'm not saying that there isn't a way to do this, but I'm simply of the opinion that if it doesn't sound good live, the way you are doing it, then tune up until it sounds okay, then go with that tuning.

And not to attack anyone here, but the threads with "which string gauge do I use to tune to Drop D an octave down on my bass?" kind of spearhead that. It's not just about which strings to use, etc., but I think the mindset of choosing a low tuning first then figuring out how to pull it off is completely backward.

tedtan, steinmetzify and TedEH like this.
  8. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I'm sure I would. I just find it super backwards that being in the sort of office environment in what's trying to be a very "progressive" industry results in basically an acceptably "correct" viewpoint on certain matters. What was said was basically something along the lines of "if you're of any influence in this industry and not an activist on 'our side' then you're part of the problem". It's my opinion that calling people part of a problem for not actively fighting is, in itself, a problem. That sort of divisive, us-vs-them thinking makes the community worse, not better, IMO. I can say that here, cause people here are pretty level headed, even if they disagree with me. I can't say that in a response to the original comment, cause I'll get torn a new one.

9. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

That's one of those manipulative tactics to get people doing what the speaker wants them to do, but then it is politics, after all. And it's not exclusively a the far right issue - all sides get bogged down in that just about equally.

10. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

I love the sound of ...And Justice For All. Almost has a bit of a black metal quality to the guitar and the cold production adds to that effect.

BornToLooze and Spaced Out Ace like this.
  11. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Creed has a couple of decent songs.

12. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Dunno where you got the far right thing. There was nothing right-leaning about either their opinion or mine, as far as I can tell. But again, it's the whole "it's the left's fault" "it's the right's fault" "if you're not a feminist, you're against women" "if you're not with me 100% then you're the problem", etc. It's all political nonsense. I made no indication of a "side" but that's where the conversation turns anyway.

When we boil down everything into sides and teams, into the "good guys vs the bad guys", we make enemies of everyone who doesn't quite share our opinion. There are no sides, there are no teams, there are no clear dividing lines on every issue. People are complex, with varying positions and opinions and motivations goals, etc etc.

13. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

I'd sooner start a conversation about comparing salaries than one about politics at work. A company's management encouraging participation in a specific political cause is obnoxious. My company shills for some PAC every so often, and at least the only thing everyone across the political spectrum at my office agrees with is that they can stuff it.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  14. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

In 2015, I went from a boss who was vehemently anti-Trump to one who was vehemently pro-Trump. Anti guy got fired, pro guy quit, and now there is a new boss who seems to not care nearly as much about telling everyone at work which political causes he supports or not. :yesway:

All of the political stuff that started way back before anti-Trump guy was even living in the same state just keeps carrying on. It all started before me. We've had workers here run for public office in the past.

At first I thought it was very interesting that there was so much discussion of politics, yet everyone still got along famously. Honestly, the first time I detected any bitterness was this last primary season. Two Obama elections stayed quite amicable, in spite of a ton of disagreement.

Anyway, here's an unpopular opinion: soda is not disgusting in and of itself. It's only gross because companies make it 100x sweeter than it ought to be. Who wants to drink a bottle of carbonated syrup? Blech...

15. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Good. Keep that shit at home.

16. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Sunbro

is that an unpopular opinion? I actually still really like some of creed's music.

17. HeHasTheJazzHands

Popular opinion is that Creed unanimously sucks. :lol:

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  18. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

It's true... they do suck.

19. HeHasTheJazzHands

They do suck, yes.

But fuck... What If, Bullets, and Say I are my jam. :ugh:

20. MickD7

MickD7 SS.org Regular

So much hate for this. Every bit of content that Jarred Dines and Steve T do is click baited buzz feed inspired dribble. I can stand it one bit and the number of times someone tags me in it on some platform of social media annoys me.

The moment that 10 things gear reviewers say post got made by gear gods I was done with them. What a way to ruin an enjoyable site that had a good scope on making decent content until the day they tragically made the call to join that circle of noise. And that Music Is Win channel has boiled into the same territory

r33per likes this.