Unpopular opinions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by icos211, Feb 10, 2015.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Sunbro

probably the same guys that play wonderwall to pick up chicks

bostjan likes this.
  2. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

I bet you all actually follow them on youtube, you all just pretending here to blend in with the SSO cool kids "yeh.. I dont like them either, they are bad....who are those guys again?..." (goes on to name each one of them with specific examples and depth analysis of each channel)

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Sunbro

:noway: prove it :p

A-Branger likes this.
  4. MFB

MFB ExBendable

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCLBXFSHvFC3BMiAGPeaA3_g

Feel free to check my subscriptions; as for your 'in depth analysis' it takes one video to immediately figure these types out. They're human checklists at this point in time, and every video is more of the same, except it wears out its welcome more and more each time.

You see one YT performer, you've seen em all

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  5. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

yeh you know I was joking right?

6. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Agreed :lol: He's made plenty of other lounge versions of various rock and metal songs too, they're all really funny.

This one's my favorite:

I've had this idea for a channel for some time: What if band a played song x by band b? For starters I had the idea of playing Holy Diver in the style of At the Gates, trying to get a sound as close to Slaughter of the Soul as possible. I wonder if that type of stuff would interest anyone?

EDIT: Here's what I thought it'd be played like:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9diuUzyPySMbHQwdExXVUZPeU0

... and then later I'd try to replicate other bands' sounds too, I had some ideas that I don't remember right now, but I guess making some melodeath (At the Gates for example again) sound like Iron Maiden could be fun :lol: The vocals are gonna be a problem though.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  7. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I always loved the lounge/samba version of "Man in the Box" by Richard Cheese.

Actually, I had no idea who he was, but I saw one of his CD's at a CD store, back when those were actually a thing that existed :lol: - CD's used to have these annoying stickers on them, often attention-grabbing neon colours, that would say things like "Exciting New Album - Rolling Stone Magazine" or "The best comeback album since Back in Black - The Washington Post". But, this Richard Cheese Album said something like "Buy this album, Please - Richard Cheese." I laughed out loud right in the aisle of the store, so I had to give it a shot and I was not disappointed in the least.

p0ke likes this.
  8. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

this is unpopular opinions guys. Richard cheese is great. Nothing unpopular about him lol

9. bostjan

Run into a crowded room and shout "I really admire Dick Cheese!" and see how popular your opinion is then. :rofl:

Actually, every time I bring him up to my coworkers, or band members, for the first time, no one has ever heard of him.

lewis likes this.
  10. BornToLooze

BornToLooze SS.org Regular

When I was in high school I had a bunch of bad shit happen (parents divorced, grandparents and a couple friends died, ect.) so my mom mad me go to a psychiatrist. According to him, I had been through more traumatic experiences than most people have when they're 40, have depression, have add and a tendency towards substance abuse, and probably some other shit I don't remember, here's a whole bunch of pills to make you normal. I tried taking all my pills to make me "normal" and I had a whole week I don't remember a damn thing that happened. If I want to be so fucked up I don't remember what my problems are, a cheap bottle of whiskey is a lot cheaper than a whole bunch of prescription pills.

[​IMG]

I liked some of the old Jared Dines videos like the making fun of genres ones, but I don't know the last one I watched. Stevie T always pops up in my recommended videos and I don't think I've made it more than a minute into any of his videos before I close them. The other guys I haven't heard of.

11. Bobro

Bobro SS.org Regular

Boom-chick boom chick 4/4 music is dull sexless soulless music for dull sexless soulless people, no matter how much you whine about luuuuv and feeeeling on top of it.

12. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

lol yeah because everyone naturally is born for a groove to 9/8, 7/8, 11/16 /2/1 /454/578678678/ 9296/10937279 oujhdakjhfkja/alkjghdkagfahkgfah

and any other :blahblah::fawk:

13. DredFul

DredFul SS.org Regular

You can't really know if a piece of music has "soul" or not if you didn't write it. I see this argument everywhere in the metal world also. "It's just shredding it doesn't have any feeling!" How's so? "Soul" or "feeling" is something artist puts to their work and whether it connects or "resonates" with the audience is one thing but saying it doesn't have any is just silly :D

I guess we often mean something soft and pretty when we talk about "feeling" but a djent breakdown could portray anger and EDM drop a sense of belonging as easily as a soft heartfelt song could portray love or whatever.

Then again I'd assume that biggest mainstream acts can fall into the trap of making music just as a product for people to consume. And that's fine too.

Mathemagician likes this.
  14. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Metalhead elitists in 2017. Like, HOW can someone pretend there is a "superior" genre/type of music to listen to anymore? That's some pre-internet high school mentality right there. I see it often enough that I'm just like "oh yeah I love how blasting obzen in the car gets women in the mood to dance/make out." Lmao.

Gimme that saltiness.

AxeHappy and oracles like this.
  15. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

^ There's a whole ton o pages in the musical fallacies thread if you really want to argue about "feel" and "soul" in music. But I'll simply leave my opinion at this: Saying you can't judge something unless you're it's creator is nonsense for a whole bunch of reasons.

There are moments where I wonder if I would benefit from speaking to a professional about certain issues or life moments or what have you, but then I equally wonder if I'd just be told I have a whole bucket of diagnosable "issues", given a bunch of drugs as "treatment" and not be any better off.

Lame as it sounds, 90% of my mood or behavioral "issues" are vastly improved by doing things like either getting out of the house for a bit or- and here's the wild one- actually bothering to address the things that bother me. Something as simple as going for a walk to clear your head can do wonders. I get that not everyone is the same, and I don't mean to trivialize people's issues, but let's not kid ourselves, lots of issues are just that: trivial. Realizing as much can take quite the weight off.

16. bostjan

You shouldn't have to defend why you like the music you like. You shouldn't have to defend why you complain about the music you don't like, either.

Sometimes I listen to EDM. Boot cat boot cat boots cats boots cats boots cats... sometimes only two lines of lyrics, with lots of instrumental sections with no actual instruments. Objectively, it's terrible music. But maybe it brings back a happy memory of something, or maybe it just makes people feel nostalgic. Why should anyone really care? Honestly, most of the music that people like is pointless.

Ten-twelve years ago, or so, I would pop on here and complain about how much the White Stripes got on my last nerve. They still do, honestly, but I'll be damned if "Seven Nation Army" didn't inspire some kids to pick up an instrument and jam along. At the time, maybe I was jealous that I felt like I and my buddies were working so hard to write songs that had different techniques and feels and meaningful lyrics in them, just to see internet videos of Meg White barely able to keep time just thumping the kick drum by itself with a song that subsisted almost entirely of one damn riff with Jack White's screechy vocals over the top of it all. Then while our album was selling 1-2 copies per show we played, the White Stripes' albums were flying off the shelves and everyone wanted to be them. ...but usually the best ideas are the simplest ones.

---------

I saw a psych a couple times once. It was some interesting conversation, but I think the benefits were very indirect.

17. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Part of me hates that song. But my nephew was super excited to learn how to play it on bass, so I'll give it that.

18. vilk

vilk Very Regular

The first song I ever learned was Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground :shrug:

19. DredFul

DredFul SS.org Regular

Not sure if you're implying that I meant this because I didn't and I agree with your statement.

20. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Sunbro

When I was younger I really hated the white stripes because I was super into technical wankery and music that used it. Now I have an appreciation for Jack White's riffs. Blue orchid is a great example. Essentially the same riff transposed up an octave and then he uses an octaver for both parts so it's like a crazy organ. It's a lot of fun to play. Same with sixteen saltines, that one is also really fun to play. He's got a ton of catchy riffs.
    Writing super memorable riffs and not going overboard with the technicality is the perfect balance imo and popular metal bands like Gojira/Mastodon are really good at maintaining that balance.

if that doesn't get your foot tapping you're clearly dead.

Mathemagician likes this.