Tune-o-matic for multiscale 7s (rondo content)

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by BranchDavidian, Oct 7, 2018.

1. BranchDavidian

BranchDavidian SS.org Regular

It looks like rondo is now making an inhouse tuneomatic for multiscale 7s.

I just got my custom from them and wanted a tuneimatic bridge but one wasnt offered. Gonna have to get another one i guess.

Attached Files:

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

It's always interesting seeing what goes in and out of favor.

A few years ago folks seemed to be avoiding TOMs at all costs, and now there seems to be a renewed interest, and I'm not talking about just here.

3. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yeah, I’ve noticed that, too. I’m seeing loads of people ask for them.

And I’d like to profess my love for Rondo, once again. They’re like the poor man’s Tony Stark of the guitar world. Kurt will take risks very few other companies will, and crank out some super nichey stuff.

EverDream likes this.
  4. MaxOfMetal

Kurt and Rondo really are the best.

I really respect them for sticking to their guns, keeping things small and simple, operation wise, and to still churn out new and different stuff. They're very smart. Put a small order of something in, see if it works. If it does, bring more, if not just add the option to the custom builder.

After over a decade they're still absolutely kicking Schecter, ESP and Ibanez' asses at ERGs as far as options and configurations go.

5. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

Crazy, don't know why they bother. Tune-o-matics are over-engineered, poorly-adjustable, old fashioned things whose only use is to make a guitar look like an old Gibson. Also, on an ERG they waste valuable string length.

Schizo Sapiens likes this.
  6. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

I feel like a multiscale, where people are already more experimental to get one in the first place, will want to experiment more with string gauges, which the TOM isn't really made for with it's fairly narrow intonation adjustment range. Combined with no string height adjustment, and I'm out...but also not their target audience.

7. MaxOfMetal

If the radius is matched to the board, why would you need individual string height adjustment?

When you setup a guitar with a bridge with individual string adjustment, you check it with a radius gauge to make sure it's all even across the board. The TOM eliminates that step as the radius is built in. The studs give you global string height adjustment and can be offset for those who prefer either even travel (under string radius), even feel (over string radius) or a happy medium between the two.

Check some of your guitars with a radius gauge, chances are the best playing ones will match the radius of the board, regardless of bridge type.

Noisy Humbucker likes this.
  8. spudmunkey

It's not necessarily just about matching the fretboard radius. If you go to a thicker gauge, the string can't bend at as-small of a radius, and makes a less-sharp arch over the break on the saddle, increasing it's string height relative to the frets. This is one of the reasons you'd need to change intonation with string gauge, anyway.

9. MaxOfMetal

Which is why you have overall height adjustment, to compensate for extremely minute change in height/break angle. We're talking fractions of millimeters here.

10. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Also can file each saddle more or less for height, top wrap for break over angle ect. Quit hating.

11. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

I never got the TOM hate here, they're perfectly fine bridges. I guess if you don't like they way they FEEL, that's fair, but they're not inherently inferior. Just different.

12. spudmunkey

True...but then you're raising all of the strings unless you re-cut the rest of the saddles. And you know as well as I do the difference between a good playing guitar and a great playing guitar's setup can be fractions of a mm, and can be the difference between smooth as-silk, and frustrating buzz.

Like I said, for someone who likes to experiment, TOM aren't a great choice, including for myself on something like this...and I HAVE and appreciate my current TOM I have on my 6-string. But I've also had to flip a saddle around when using a thicker string because I ran out of intonation range...so even in my limited experimentation with gauges on a 6-string, it was already a limiting factor. Again: for me. That's why I said *I'm* out. I didn't say it was a crap solution, or a garbage product.

That said, I do think TOM's are more like to show an issue that other bridges don't normally have to deal with...sag or bridge collapse. "Collapse" sounds more catastrophic than it really is, but it's not something I've come across even on the cheapest flat fixed bridges...but had on two TOM bridges...and those were even just 6-strings. I'm acrually surprised I haven't seen more issues with 7 and 8-string TOM bridges just due to the increases forces at work, and the wider spans.

https://hazeguitars.com/blog/gibson-bridge-collapse

13. MaxOfMetal

You can raise one side, which, the further from the post the less increase in height you actually get, but again, your actual string action is locked in by nature of matching radius.

I've worked on literally thousands of guitars with TOMs. Intonation issues are incredibly few and far in between, heck even flipping around the saddle isn't that common. The only collapsed ones I've run into have been either cheap pot metal jobs and/or very old ones (at least a decade plus).

It's cool you don't like them, play what makes you happy, but knock it off with the alarmist crap. :lol:

Masoo2 and mlp187 like this.
  14. spudmunkey

Is that supposed to make it OK? :lol: "The only airbags I've seen fail are in super cheap cars, and 10+ year old cars. BTW: Here's your Yugo...and I'd recommend selling it in 9 years." ;)

Like I said, I have one, like it, and wouldn't not buy another one...but it's not for me on something like this specific configuration. Not looking to be "alarmist", but more bridging the conversation from the other TOM thread, where people are talking about why TOM's weren't as popular for a while, after seeming desirable for a time. A multiscale, extended range guitar seemed like the least appropriate use of a TOM, and shared my own experiences. Looking to have a conversation, not an argument. Did I say anything that isn't true? It's less flexible than a bridge with height-adjustable saddles and wider adjustment range and there's times where it's less long-living than other "flat" fixed bridges (in my own experience).

That said, I'll readily admit that the Yugo/Airbag thing above was hyperbole, and likely comes across as "alarmist crap". Ha!

15. vortex_infinium

vortex_infinium SS.org Regular

These are hella cool. Not a fan of the Legacy so hopefully this one does well and makes it way into some other models (prob wouldn't put in a custom order just for that). But for $400USD it's very accessible and tempting just to give it a go. That's the great thing about any Agile really is they're well enough priced that you don't have to think too hard before buying one just to see how it plays out.

16. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

I only like recessed TOMs. When they're so high they feel uncomfortable to my hand.