Tune ibanez SRAS7 fretless/fretted hybrid like normal 7 string?

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by Gmork, Jul 29, 2018.

1. stevexc

stevexc Contributor

Funny, I played Ibanez basses for years (read: over a decade) and have used D'addario for even longer and can say with 100% certainty that none of those points are true. The most I'll give you is on the cheap end of the range the electronics aren't the BEST but that's true for the majority of brands.

Nlelith likes this.
  2. WintermintP

WintermintP Lead/Rhythm Guitar, One Minute Winter

The bass in question was an $800 bass and the bass strings in question were really heavy gauges. You're talking gauges like 145.

I mean, seriously, how is an $800 bass supposed to be a cheap-end bass? There's a SUB Ray5 that costs less than that.

WintermintP

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  3. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

Honestly, $800 is still cheap-end in the books of many, many players.

The thing about Ibanez basses is that they are designed for guitarists who also happen to play bass. Thus, the super narrow string spacing along with the flatter neck profiles and flatter fretboard radiuses that are all more akin to an Ibanez guitar.

4. WintermintP

WintermintP Lead/Rhythm Guitar, One Minute Winter

Honestly, dude, my complaint with Ibanez basses is not the string spacing or the neck profiles. It's actually the bad tone it generates (although, with the existing strings now boiled, that has a 25% chance it might change).

Okay, now I get what you're trying to say. It still stands, though, the main problem I'm getting is the bad tone from the pickups and what have you. Again, that might change with the boiled strings. I'll keep you posted.

WintermintP

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  5. Beheroth

Beheroth SS.org Regular

Wait,did you seriously pay 800$ for your sr405 ?!? it's only worth half that brand new.

6. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

what model you got?

I ahve played only ibanez all my life.... sr300dx Excelent bass for the price, compared to all my mates and other badns starting basses, I couldnt find anything better

then I got the EDA905, great bass, neck angle was wrong tho, so I ahd to play with high action most of my life till I learned about a thing called neck shimming.

Curently I have the BTB33, amazing bass. Happy with both pickups and EQ functions. Althouhg I much rather the Nordstrands of the premium line, I cant complain

For string brand... yeeeh Im with you, I think last tiime I bought that brand my strings lasted nothing. Like one of the first or few times I actually notice when the string died.... Like "I dont remember these sounding like day couple of days ago.

I stick with Elixir right now for both bass and guitar

Gmork likes this.
  7. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula Indeed.

I use D'addario XL nickels 90% of the time. They last just as long as anything else I've used, but I guess everyone's skin chemistry is different.

I personally hated Elixirs the one time I tried them on bass, but that was probably 15 years ago and they may be different now. Back then the coating would fray off the string and hang from it like hair.

15 years ago... man I'm old. :lol:

8. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Shit, I was one of the testers for Goretex when they first made the beta strings, probably 24 or 25 years ago. Having ten years on you means that if you're old, then I'm older than dirt.

LordIronSpatula likes this.
  9. Aidil

Aidil SS.org Regular

This might be kinda late...

I own the SRAS7 and the BTB7. Between both, BTB7 might be the closest one for the purpose you're after, mainly because of the longer 35" scale (instead of 34" on the SRAF7) and reason of intonating the F#0 string discussed earlier on this thread, since the fretless portion of the SRAS7 has the individual bridges installed slightly toward the neck, as they were optimized to be used with ADG strings. Not to mention that the raised layer of the fretless board part might not be suitable for such thick string(s).

I had a 6 string fretless bass strung with .175 low F#0 string few years back. It didn't workout for me as I barely could get clear notes out of the .175 Rotosound string that I used, despite using my Ampeg 115 cab (and a PF500 head) or thru a close ear headphones. It was a 34" scale bass, so this might also have contributed. A 35" scale or even longer would be better for the job. But since you had a .185 string for this kind of purpose before, so I think you knew what you want.

You've mentioned the Portamento 6 string SRF706. It's not that they're not in production any longer. According to Hoshino Gakki website, the current batch of SRF706 are still in production until Oct 2018. You just have faced the way the marketing goes with Ibanez. The SRF706 are officially marketed only to US domestic market (although in another forum someone in Europe mentioned that he could get one locally). And this also applies to me, who live in the same island as where they are being manufactured. I've contacted Ibanez local rep and they replied that Ibanez principal hasn't put SRF706 on the list of items which they could order.

Another option... Ibanez actually offers fretless version of the BTB7 (called BTB7F), but (again) it's exclusive to Japan domestic market. Maybe there's a way for you to get one?

BTB7F (JDM only).jpg

LordHar and Gmork like this.