Tune ibanez SRAS7 fretless/fretted hybrid like normal 7 string?

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by Gmork, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Hi, im considering ordering the ibanez sras7 fretless/fretted hybrid bass but am wondering if theres any reason i couldnt tune it like a regular 7 string rather that its wacky factory tuning???

I want it to match up tuning wise to my 8 string guitar, so low F# to B.

Imho this would be awesome for playing proggy technical bass as id get to use the fretless for some rhythm stuff and then be able to sweep and tap on the higher register.
    ibanez-sras7-fretted-fretless-hybrid-bass-l.jpg

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I personally don’t think the fretless and piezo-only position the lowest strings will be in will be ideal.

Why not grab a BTB7? Used Conklin Groove Tools?

A-Branger and Beheroth like this.
  3. Beheroth

Beheroth SS.org Regular

I tried F# on a fretless once, cool contrabass tone but no clarity whatsoever.
    This bass doesn't have magnetic pickup on the fretless side only piezo.
    Also i'm not sure there's enough room for intonation at F# on the fretless side

edit : Also only one trussrod on a neck this wide ...

I think it's an overall cool idea, a few years ago they did one with fretless side on the high strings, but they didn't dig in the details enough to make it anything other than just a demonstration of what they can do and not a playable instrument.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  4. MaxOfMetal

It’s fretless. :scratch:

5. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula Indeed.

Tuning the Ashula down to F# is totally possible, but I agree with Max that it's probably not an ideal situation for the lower strings. Having the fretted/fretless split could be cool in some situations but I think a more cohesive-sounding bass would be better suited for standard tuning most of the time. Unless, of course, you already have another bass to cover those duties.

I also suggest the BTB7. I think the older ones look and sound best, and you can pretty easily find one for $800-$900. A number of people have tuned them to F#. But if you want to get an Ashula instead, no one's stopping you.

6. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula Indeed.

Also, it's possible to sweep and tap in the higher register of a fretless too. Since it sounds like you're primarily a guitarist, I'm guessing it might be beyond what you want to do. But this is a great video...

7. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Well i def am only interested in fretless but i thought this hybrid was really cool. The gimmick worked on me lol. Otherwise id like the ibby srf706 fretless 6 but it seems its not in production any longer.
    Lordironspatula i love forest! Thats essentially exactly the type of stuff id be doing. Just not as well lol.

I use to have an ibanez srf705 fretless 5 string that i had modded to fit 185g kalium strings and tuned down to low f# and it was awesome. But i just wanted more strings. (6 at least)

8. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Also im poor so i finance from L&M so im limites to the few brands they carry, luckly lm an ibanez fanboy lol

9. Beheroth

Beheroth SS.org Regular

Even if it's fretless it doesn't hurt to intonate to have the same fingering positions on each string, like a lined fretless bass.

10. MaxOfMetal

It doesn’t necessarily work like that.

The fret space is a rough approximation of where the note is supposed to be based on the mathematics used to calculate fret location. But the math isn’t perfect on a traditional, Western instrument. So the exact spot where the note is, is at a slightly different spot, even if intonated at the 12th fret.

This is one of the reasons that orchestral instruments are fretless, so the musician can properly finger the instrument into tune.

11. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

Fretless still requires correct intonation to be consistent with side dots, and especially here where it is beside frets.
    Looking at the saddle positions, the lowest 3 are positioned roughly equal to the fretted EAD, so you might be able to intonate a B but a low F# requires the saddle much further back and there will likely be intonation problems.
    Also, the fretless board is actually higher than the fret top surface, in order to make the top surface of the strings level with the fretted section. It will step up a lot if you use a straight fourths tuning:

Products988875-635x575-41175214.jpg

Beheroth likes this.
  12. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula Indeed.

So am I correct in assuming you want a fretless bass with 6+ strings? And it must be financed through L&M?

Unless you can find a used bass that meets your criteria, you might have to get a fretted 6-7 string and convert it. Can L&M get you the new BTB747? I know I said I prefer the old BTB7 but the BTB747 can't be bad and it comes with stainless steel fre... oh wait... :lol:

Seriously, those conversions can turn out well but it might be more hassle than it's worth.

odibrom likes this.
  13. MaxOfMetal

Requires?

[​IMG]

Think about how intonation works. Even if you were to intonate at the 12th, how accurate would the rest of the board be?

14. odibrom

odibrom .

Also, when playing fretless, one intonates as one plays. True story. :D

I aprove what @LordIronSpatula said about converting a regular fretted bass to fretless.

GenghisCoyne likes this.
  15. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Hmm didnt didnt think about this route! Definitely something any luthiere worth his or her ...uhh... Salt? could do right?
    Sure would open my options up

16. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula Indeed.

Probably anyone with decent experience refretting instruments could do it. You would want someone who knows how to pull frets with minimal damage to the surrounding wood and/or knows how to fill such damage cleanly when it occurs.

Then you'd need to decide what material to fill the fret slots with. A veneer that matches or contrasts with the fingerboard wood color? There's also the possibility of coating the fingerboard with a hard finish, but that definitely adds to the cost.

17. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I have one of those. Primarily because I make poor life decisions, but it is pretty cool. And, because there’s no magnetic pickup for those fretless strings, of think you’d want to steer clear of what you’re attempting,

Gmork likes this.
  18. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Thrres no way owning the sras7 can be considered a poor life choice, its a thing of beauty! I am going to get something else but one day i WILL own one. I wont hate it for what its not, but love it for what it is.

Hollowway likes this.
  19. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

EVERYTHING I have read about adjusting intonation on an fretless has said that intonation adjustments are just to make fingering easier by shifting the correct point up or down a little on the string to avoid finger collisions/awkward positioning.

If you need to shift the intonation point because it’s too far from a side dot, you’ve got a bigger problem with the instrument

odibrom likes this.
  20. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Low F# is not easy to get to sound good. Its not even easy to get it to not sound terrible through most rigs. Id strongly recommend against this bass for low f#.
    Is it for recording? If so, maybe the cheapest and best sounding solution is to tune up to f#, then pitch shift down an octave in post. It's far from ideal, i know. Fretless bass can sound good tuned low, but you have to have the right pickups. Piezo pickups are notoriously bad at tranducing low frequency vibrations, so it's lose/lose.