Trump got there!

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by jaxadam, Jun 23, 2018.

1. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

Now where will he go?

We have a lot of bright people on here. We have a lot of people on here who have a lot of different beliefs and stances on politics, religion, social programs, the environment, the economy, etc. In the United States we currently have a very polarizing political climate that could potentially change the course of many of the things I just mentioned above.

I'd like to see this thread do a few things:
    • Talk about topics relating to the current administration
    • Allow all members to discuss their points of view and the current topics they see/hear/read about
    • Let it be polarizing, let it get passionate, but keep the volume at a reasonable level
    • But most importantly, memes
    So there you go. I'm sure this thing will turn into a shit fest here or there if it even stays open so I'd like to start off by asking: What is the most important issue you face in the current political environment? I will start off by saying for me there is an economic aspect, and while I feel the economy is strongly rolling along, I am not sure it will be able to remain this stable. I do like to see things like this, though, because it could be a vital key to preserving potential startup capital and growth to entrepreneurs who lack any other options.

https://smallbusiness.house.gov/news/documentsingle.aspx?DocumentID=401008

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    wannabguitarist likes this.
  2. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Uh, is this trolling?

DudeManBrother and NateFalcon like this.
  3. NateFalcon

NateFalcon The Impossible Kid

Shit show guaranteed, lol...Americans are too involved in what other people are doing around them, people used to just vote and keep politics and religion away from the chow wagon and didn’t generally hate their neighbors...now everybody seems to feel the need to publicly advertise their social and political beliefs and identify everyone around them categorically in order to classify (and separate imo) people. Every political change over comes with some pitfalls and NONE of these politicians are anyone I want to have over for a BBQ. I think people need to work harder on being successful in order to find purpose and happiness instead of bitching and whining about how “bad” everything is in a country where even the homeless now have air jordans and iPhones.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    bostjan, Rosal76, jaxadam and 3 others like this.
  4. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

The only time I’ll post in here.
    E53E52B6-AFA0-486A-B753-2933DC8B0060.png

5. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

On this specifically: If you really read it, it's laughable. He's already given all the large-cap businesses freebies that only their stockholders will see any benefit from, and then throw token LOANS at small businesses? The true irony here is that the overwhelming new job growth has been at the small-business level as long as I've tracked business stats (a mere 2+ decades), yet the GOP throws the freebies at large businesses.

At least Trump hasn't pissed-on and reversed all of the improvements over the past eight years simply because they have Obama's name on them. Bush JR's terms were horrendous for small business

vilk likes this.
  6. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I don't know where you are, but homeless people in Boston aren't wearing Air Jordans and carrying iPhones. :lol:

I think there are two major factors for that - the cultural shift that has occurred in recent decades where there's an increasingly large divide between the urban areas being predominately liberal and the rural ones becoming increasingly conservative, augmented by a bit of self-sorting with people choosing to live near people with similar world-views, coupled with increasingly dividing political questions increasingly becoming ones that are pretty core to people's identities and very livelihood - the Black Lives Matter/All Lives Matter thing splits pretty squarely on partisan lines, and at least from the perspective of the left, is a debate on whether or not its a problem that a disproportionate number of young black men are being shot or killed by police in response to alleged petty crimes or no crimes at all, which if you're a black man, that sort of stops being "politics" and becomes a pretty major existential threat. Or, on marraige equality, the fact that one party wants to do everything they can to nullify and roll back the marraiges of a subset of Americans, who primarily identify with the other party - if you're a gay woman, whether or not you can continue to be married to your lawfully wedded wife is kind of a big deal, especially if you're raising a family together.

So, I think it's a combination of the natural echo chamber that arises when you don't often run into people with differing points of view, coupled with the fact that I DON'T think a lot of the issues we're discussing are "just politics."

zappatton2, vilk and bostjan like this.
  7. NateFalcon

Well, we in Portland tried to give homeless people a facility to live in (Wapato) and the homeless’ biggest reason for rejecting the gift was they didn’t have outlets to charge their cell phones...:cool: Bums live it up here!...and I find it annoying that people can’t enjoy going out in public without being drug into a “where do you stand on THIS social issue?” type of personal prying at almost every conversation under the guise that if it’s not a line-drawing issue to you that you’re somehow complacent and to blame...call me ignorant but I don’t hang on every dooming social issue, political or not. I’m often too busy working and helping my friends and family to hear the outrage of the same people I’m often times paying tax dollars to support lol

FILTHnFEAR and Spaced Out Ace like this.
  8. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

You're comparing West Coast homeless people to regular homeless people. In the Southwest, Midwest, East Coast, South, etc., you don't see a homeless guy working at a high tech company, making six figures, but still unable to afford housing. That's very specifically a West Coast thing.

https://gizmodo.com/homelessness-is-booming-on-the-west-coast-and-ill-give-1821055765

It's a weird problem for me. I don't understand why cities like Stockton, California have so many empty houses yet real estate prices are still crazy high there. It's like there was a real estate bubble, but no one there is willing to accept that the prices from 2003 were hyper-inflated, and that their $8M bungalow is actually really only worth a couple hundred thousand. So you get these people who move there and get a job that pays really good money, except that housing costs there are astronomically high, and you end up with tent cities of people working at Intel and Yahoo and so forth, with a brand new iPhone and really nice clothes, but who has to shit in a shallow hole in the ground, because there is no place to live that has running water within a two hour drive of where they work that they can afford on their salary.

Maybe it's a little bit of hyperbole, but as someone who travels to California a lot, and also travels sporadically all over North America and Europe, I've never seen anything like what's going on around the West Coast anywhere else.

9. NateFalcon

The handout programs are plentiful here...you’re also not supposed to “question” anything they do. These people have no need to work, everything including their methadone and pipes (yes, a crack pipe program lol) is covered. Flying a sign at the intersection is just free cash for more drugs. The Media, Police, City council etc REFUSE to mention a word about addiction unless it’s to feel sorry for them and give them more stuff. I think Portland residents actually pretend to like the garbage and syringes to seem more progressive. For all the “equality” they claim to represent in Washington and Oregon they sure treat certain people differently...

FILTHnFEAR and Spaced Out Ace like this.
  10. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Portland? No wonder. You have a very unusual homeless population, and VERY different from any other part of the country than I've been. Oddly aggressive, too. It's probably a combination of fairly temperate year-round weather plus some major opiate addition issues. I think it can definitely be handled better than you have, sure, but at the same time I don't really agree with a lot of your specific critiques - methadone may look like a handout to homeless people, but controlled administration of a drug that doesn't really get you high, in practice, gives you a whole lot less dead people. And pointing towards cell phones as proof that homeless people are being pampered makes less sense today than it would have 10 years ago, when increasingly all americans are foregoing land lines for cell phones, and job hunting with no access to a phone number or email is impossible - Obama got a lot of flack for a government-funded smartphone program for homeless Americans - "Obama phones," as Fox put it - but, frankly, I suspect helping homeless people stay accessable even after the loss of a house or apartment probably DID help a good number of recipients get back on their feet, and I'd love to see some data on the program, how many recipients managed to find a job within a year vs those who had not received phones, etc.

Idunno. Homelessness is a tough nut to crack, for a whole number of reasons. Homeless people complaining that a shelter built for them doesn't actually have outlets, IMO, is actually a pretty fair complaint (how would you handle not having outlets?) and kind of a glaring omission on the part of whoever designed the building - did they just assume that homeless people don't ever need anything powered by electricity?

synrgy, iamaom and zappatton2 like this.
  11. Spaced Out Ace

How sad. Homeless people can't charge their cellphones. :(

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  12. NateFalcon

It was going to be a low security jail for traffic offenders etc, that got revamped into housing -cost millions and it was a “street roots” group who advocated for a shelter, then shot down the idea...they also wanted transportation (free passes for buses and light rail weren’t good enough) Free methadone is used WITH heroin as a supplement, not tossing numbers but they are not mutually exclusive. I also have no problem with them having cell phones but often times the programs simply require them to be at state offices at a given time...if they don’t show up, you can’t help them lol. Not dogging every homeless person and yeah, Portland and Seattle are definitely one-off...it just seems like here they don’t want the help unless it’s straight up drugs or cash...

13. Spaced Out Ace

Seattle doesn't have a homeless problem. They just ship em off to Yakima. Sure, Seattle might have homeless people, but they don't have a problem. The City Council of Seattle is doing their job to make sure that NIMBY is in full effect. And for those who don't know, NIMBY = Not in My Back Yard.

14. NateFalcon

True, the issue never gets resolved if you don’t see it as a “problem”. Portland would like people to think that addiction hurts no one but the user, it’s all the doctors’ fault, crime is a “necessity” for them and that they’re all working class people who fell on “hard times”...we give them phones and they refuse to show up for help -but they make sure to be right on time for their morning “meds”. There’s going to have to be some hard solutions with dealing with these people. “Custom” treatments aren’t working

15. NateFalcon

Do you think they’re looking for a job or calling their drug dealer?...how much would you like to wager on a bet? Lol

16. Spaced Out Ace

I'm joking. I wonder if a tent in the winter has outlets to charge your phone.

NateFalcon likes this.
  17. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

18. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yeah, I'm not sure if this is going to go anywhere fast. We can debate big government vs small, states vs federal law, free market vs regulations, etc., but those are GOPish vs Democratish philosophies. Trump ran on a platform that said, largely, he will "drain the swamp" and that he's an outsider. He got into office, and just really doesn't care to put the effort into learning the issues, so he shoots from the hip, or let's people talk him into things. So, we are here with no comprehensive plan or direction. Half of the GOP is headed in a different direction than trump. His supporters don't know what to make of it, because he keeps changing what he's saying and doing. I think the best we can hope for, in terms of a discussion, is something along the lines of a mom and dad trying to figure out what to do next when they realize Junior shit the bed.

19. NateFalcon

I ignore politics on TV as much as pharma-brand commercial pumping. Both sides have figured out how to tap into peoples’ fear sensibilities and it’s ALL aimed at making the consumer feel powerless...as long as they keep the consumer mindlessly spending. Everything is almost bullshit if you stop and think about it, we talk about recycling and eco-friendly as the American consumer buys more worthless junk than ever...ON CREDIT CARDS!! Americans will charge $12 to their credit card for something they don’t even need and then bitch about having to pay it off -it’s comical. People on welfare screaming about social injustice as taxpayers financially support their whole family. Prius drivers chide their self-conscious decision...as long as they dump the used batteries in China, or somewhere else. I realize not everyone falls into these lines of thinking but I find it funny that society collectively seems to know who to blame as IQ’s are dropping and the STEM programs are drying on the vine as dropout rates are thriving. Average liberals, while progressive, are just as uneducated it seems and just as reliant on taxpayer programs as the redneck conservatives. Not being pompous but I’m tired of being told how to think by people with high school degrees (if that, even). Trust me when I say there are far bigger things on my plate right now than Trumps’s policies

20. narad

narad SS.org Regular

But they're recyclable...