Troubleshooting Weird Noise, Audiobox USB

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by op1e, Mar 10, 2018.

1. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

We never had any problems scratch tracking with this thing running a 57 copy straight into it. Things sounded great, aside from hearing the click in the scratches cause we were blasting thru the PA. But now that I'm using the WoS plugin I'm getting some weird high end feedback type thing. It gets worse with more VST's. Since it's cold as balls I experimented with using Helix native and recording inside instead of our barn "studio" out back. I had to run multiple gates and a real overdrive to push it. But wow is the noise bad. We went and invested in a cheap Live Wire DI box and headphone amp. Running into the DI first at -20db then right into the Audiobox USB. I figured it was the interface, but then tried running Helix Native with my gsp1101 as an interface and same deal. Tried a different usb cable too. All of my tube rigs are solid state quiet at idle to rule out my gear. And to go even further, I just went straight into the interface with a good instrument cable.

Here's both my setups I've tried with.

Dell Vostro 1700 laptop. i5 2400, 4g of ram
    i7 2600k @4.5ghz, 16g Ripjaws 1866

Reaper x64, 256 sample rate. Might try 512, but with my better pc I don't see how 256 should be a problem. Like I said, just running a mic into this thing seems fine. But I'd really prefer to use WoS for final takes.