Trem Springs

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Luke150130, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Luke150130

Luke150130 SS.org Regular

Hi All,
    This is my first post here so hello, I have an Ibanez RG Prestige 7 String from 2004, which I believe is an RG1527. I got it last September and am in the process of restringing and setting it up for the first time. So far it's had 3 tremolo springs in but I'd like to reduce that to two as I've found it too stiff. However, an old Tremol-no still partly fitted (albeit completely inactive) limits my orientation possibilities. Basically, the only way I can get two springs in is to have them parallel to each other in the furthest slots apart. Is there any reason I shouldn't do this or is it ok? If not, what alternatives do I have? I'll change the claw at some stage but wasn't planning on doing that just yet. I can try and send a picture if anything's not clear

Thanks!
    Luke

2. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

It doesn’t matter as long as you can get the springs to balance the trem.

3. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Blames it on "the rain"

If you don’t use the tremel-no then remove it, and run the springs however you want to.

4. Supernaut

Supernaut SS.org Regular

I've actually found 2 strings on the furthest slots in parallel easier to balance than two meeting in the middle. Two springs on the outer slots with the claw slightly asymmetrical based on which strings are pulling the most tension.

It depends on your string gauge and tuning mostly. There's no hard and fast rule on balancing your trem, you've just got to rough it out then fine tune it.

5. Luke150130

Luke150130 SS.org Regular

Ok, thanks guys, I'll try it like that then! Using 9-52s btw

6. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I have a Charvel that I thought was too stiff, and tried 2 springs, tuned in E with 9-42 strings. It seems like it was very unstable, and could not get the bridge level. I bought some "Raw Vintage" springs online. They are pretty expensive, but they are low tension springs. Using 3 of those I was able to get a good balance on the bridge, and it is very springy and easy to move the trem. I can generally move the trem with my pinky on the bar, lol.

7. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

I use the Tremol-No's and I have 4 springs parallel, balances wonderfully & less movement on double stops when in dive only or fully floating.