Toss up....Ibanez SR300E or Squire Vintage Mod '70

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by WarMachine, May 24, 2018.

1. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

So i'm looking to pick up a new bass on the cheap but that sounds good on metal recordings. I'm a lead guitarist so bass isn't my main instrument, but i know how to play it; how to make it sit in the mix, what it contributes etc. And i've narrowed it down to 2 choices; the Ibanez SR300E or Squire Vintage Modified 70. Of the 2, which one is better suited for metal playing? Which has a smoother/and or more narrow neck?

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

The Squire is going to sound better out of the box. Those VMs are damn solid.

The necks are going to be surprisingly similar. The SR will be a little thinner and flatter, but the widths aren't very different.

The SR will be lighter if that matters.

Do you need 24 frets?

3. WarMachine

Thanks for the quick reply dude! 24 frets aren't a must, i can live with 19-21.

Also weight isn't a problem, i'm getting this for home recording as it is, i wouldn't mind if either weighed like 20 lbs lol

4. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I hate to be that guy but there's not really a thing that makes a bass "good for metal", unless you potentially count scale length if you're down-tuning very far. IMO try them both (through an amp or something) and go with the one that plays and sounds better to you. Otherwise, I agree with Max -> the Squire will probably sound better (to my taste at least), but the SR might play easier if you're coming from a guitar-playing background.

5. WarMachine

No worries dude lol, i mean more in the sense of things like the pickups more than anything, would the SR300 be more high output vs the squire? Things to that effect. This will be going through my preamp first then hitting some VST's/EQ plugins/IR's etc. Im a HUGE fan of the Dave Ellefson/Rex Brown bass tone, something with some grind but also a nice round and thick bottom end. I know that using different effects and such will get the grind part covered, but mainly i was looking at it like this; yeah, neither of these are considered top of the line, but, i'm recording with good quality guitars, so why not go the same route with the bass as well? Right now i'm using about a 10 year old titan ( i believe that was what its called lol) bass that came off of evilbay for about 100 bucks. So i'm pretty sure either would be a huge step up in sound/playing etc.

6. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Same thing sort of applies. There are no "metal sounding" bass pickups. And higher output doesn't mean more metal sounding either. You could go hi or low output, active or passive, singles vs hb, etc., and it's more about which one hits the sound you're looking for rather than "being more metal". I happen to be a big fan of passive single coils for bass, so I use it for everything, but I've also got a more modern sounding bass with an active HB + P style setup in it (EMGs). For what you described, or for versatility in general, I think it'll be easier to hit it with a fender-esque instrument, but the more you cover it up with dirt/effects/preamps/etc., the less it will make a difference.

HeHasTheJazzHands likes this.
  7. WarMachine

Thanks for the input dude :yesway:

8. Mwoit

Mwoit Lifted By Skin

At this price point, just get the nicest playing bass. Post effects / VST, you'll not notice the fine differences between these bass guitars.

As said above, Squier VM basses seem like great value for money. Also worth checking out Sire Marcus Miller basses which seem to hold a decent reputation.

9. WarMachine

Thanks again guys! Well, i was about to pull the trigger on the Squire VM but seen that Zzounds is out of stock for the natural finish :rant2: granted, this is going to be something that basically just stays in my home but i still want it to look the way i want it to lol so that's going on hold for a bit until they get more in stock. Guess this means i have a little extra cash to work with to put on some new guitar/bass strings and maybe some parts for my floyd's that are in SEVERE need of attention in my deans lol

10. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

Voicing will depend largely on the goal you have for the bass roll in the context of your mix.
    For example. My bass player and I agreed early on, considering the type of player he is, just how to fashion his tone so that he was heard, but blended appropriately. Some of his basses are geared toward this more than others. His Carvin 6 string bass with their soapbar actives seemed to best fit the bill, but his Status Mark King Signature bass sounds absolutely wonderful in other tone settings, just not our signature "band tone". We have a touch of disto on the top end of his bass, similar to Justin Chancellor, and we have him eq'd so that the fret noise & such comes through, as we consider that part of the performance.

You need to decide how you want your bass to sound in the mix, then reverse engineer how to accomplish that. What type of tones are you looking for? Other artist tones as a reference point? Etc...

11. WarMachine

Basically my core "band" sound is akin to Pantera/BLS/Megadeth, the guitar tone sounding heavily like Zakk's tone. I want a bass tone that has bottom end but bite as well. I've somewhat got that now, doing similar to what you guys are doing, keeping the low end as is and giving some slight saturation on the high end. From what i've heard from this type of guitar tone though, it seems like it sounds the best for this style to have a somewhat thinner low end tone from the bass.

12. WarMachine

Ok doodz, a little torn now lmao. I've got a Peavey Millennium bass i've had kicking around for a few years that has needed some TLC. Ordered a few packs of strings, got some new bass strings and made some adjustments: the action is nearly bottomed out on the saddle and there was still a stupid amount of gap between the strings/fretboard so i shimmed the neck with a few strips of cardboard to give it a little cushion to crank on, adjusted the truss rod after shimming it and wow....its like a new bass! lol i'm pretty satisfied with the sound and playing i'm getting out of it now, i know new strings are like a new set of speakers or amp on a bass lol but damn this thing plays like a dream now. May actually end up holding off on getting a new one......at least for a little bit!