Tool advice

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by cip 123, Jun 1, 2018.

1. MoonJelly

MoonJelly a subtle stinging sensation..

^yes... and a $1000 bandsaw will probably get you better results than a $1000 jigsaw. Not to say I wouldn't like to have both, but the bandsaw comes first in my mind. I don't know of any jigsaws that can cut 6"+ of material, period.

Speaking of Mafell, any tool they make is pretty awesome, and pretty expensive too. I have never had the scratch to own one, but the router is on my list (about a $1500 setup). I worked for a number of months with a timber framing company and we used a mortiser, portable band saw, 12" circular saws, drilling station, 13" power planer,and a router, all of them made by Mafell. It's astounding how good the quality is.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  2. electriceye

electriceye SS.org Regular

I don't know why anyone would WANT a jigsaw for guitar building, TBH.

3. electriceye

electriceye SS.org Regular

That seems quite extreme, especialy if the blades cost upwards of $100 or so. Not that I've cut a TON yet, but my blade seems just as sharp as it was when I bought it and cuts just fine.

4. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

For making router templates?

5. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

If you've just knocking down a block to rough size/shape, and then hand-shape it from there (with a rasp, or spindle/belt/disc/hand sanding, etc) I suppose it could have it's place in a hand-made one-off shop. Also, you can't do holes with a band saw *he says, hoping they don't realize they could also do it with a drill press or a scroll saw* ;)

6. MoonJelly

MoonJelly a subtle stinging sensation..

Yeah in his defense, it's a REALLY nice jigsaw, and not really comparable to any others you might be more familiar with. It cuts super fast, it's stable, it's easy to control with one hand and only light pressure. Plus I'd rather use a jigsaw than a scroll saw when cutting a closed shape like a template.

BUT, when I see that price tag, it just isn't the first tool I'd spring for. I can get more 'bang for my buck' with a mid-range band saw.

7. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

I paste this video way too often, but you can do a TON with a table router. It's just the best.

I used to make templates out of Lego. :)

8. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

From my perspective it's the other way around. No idea what I would need a bandsaw for as I buy my tops cut/bookmatched/planed/sanded, sometimes even glued and calibrated. I cut out a body in one run and need between 45 and 90 seconds, depending on the wood. I stay away 1-2mm max. from the shape's outline, the sides are dead square and I can follow even the smallest radius at the horn tips. Besides, I can change blades in three seconds for different purposes/materials as I use up three different types in a single build (wood radius/square, wood straight/clean and ultrafine for pickguards). Plus: I use it for other stuff that would be hard or impossible with a bandsaw e.g. I cut out the hole for the kitchen sink and cut the new doors to size in my flat. Probably depends on what other wood stuff you're building apart from guitars...

MoonJelly likes this.
  9. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Man, your jigsaw must be way better than mine. It won't cut flush through 3/4 inch plywood.

10. MikeNeal

MikeNeal SS.org Regular

100 dollars?!?

I get mine welded for me at a local tool shop. Cost approx 10 dollars for a resaw blade. I just change them frequently, because theres nothing worse then trying to resaw a top with a dull blade. 1 katalox top could probabaly dull a blade.

11. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

It's without a doubt the best jigsaw on the market...