Tips for playing an 8 string?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Kensei7, May 31, 2018.

1. Kensei7

Kensei7 SS.org Regular

So im looking to get back into playing after a 2 year break. Ive owned a few 8s in the past and my current favorite bands play 8s. My problem is I write better on 6s and they are just easier to play cuz I have smaller hands. I mainly wrote Thrash on my 6s but whenever I would pick up my 8 I could never find a decent way to utilize the 7th and 8th strings without doing chugga chug. Traversing the fretboard was difficult sometimes and the 8th string would ring constantly without me touching it when I was using the other strings. I know this is somewhat a dumb question but does anyone have any tips for overcoming these types of things? I should probably mention im a self taught player on and off for the last 9 or so years.

2. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

#1 You could potentially look at different 8 string neck profiles from different builders and see which one has the smallest neck.

#2 You could find a long scale 7 string 27" or greater and tune it down closer to 8 string territory.

#3 Look into the Line 6 shuriken + pedal. The possibilities are nearly endless. You can have any amount of fabricated tunings at your footpedals disposal so one second your in E standard 6 string tuning, the next you in Double drop A or something similarly crazy. Yes it's an emulation, but a damn good one.

3. Kensei7

Kensei7 SS.org Regular

I owned all Agiles. They offer the cheapest quality 8s in different finishes. I was going to pull the trigger on another once they put up more fanned fret models.

4. stinkoman

stinkoman SS.org Regular

I like wolfos suggestion of trying different makers. I owned a few and finally found one I really clicked with. My current one is an ltd sc-608b and for me personally was easier to play than some 7s. I also had an agile 7 that string was 27 inch scale like my 8s, but because of its neck was harder to play.

5. Kensei7

Kensei7 SS.org Regular

How are Legator guitars? They look nice but ive heard bad things about them. I was trying to keep it to $600 or less for a guitar.

6. Zok

Zok SS.org Regular

Legator and Agile are made in the same factory. So what you're getting is probably going to be similar in terms of neck profile and all of that. My friend has a Jackson Dinky 8(https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DKA8SOB--jackson-dka8-pro-series-dinky-satin-orange-blaze), and it's about 900 new(Sweetwater financing for 30 a month though) and the neck is much more comfortable than my Agile 8 intrepid. He has small hands as well and he loves it.

7. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

Here are some multiscale 8's in that range.

Ibanez RGMS8
    I actually own the 7 string version and I was extremely impressed, the neck is fantastic and pretty thin, there are not too many Cons for the guitar except if you want to put better pickups in it, you basically have to get the original ones re-wound as not many companies sell pickups at these angles. The neck was 12° which was ok but the bridge was 17° and guys like bareknuckle dont make that. Also the nut is plastic and there really arent any multiscale replacement nuts. Lastly the Fan on the neck goes horizontal st the 12th fret which is uncommon the normal and more comfortable fan goes horizontal st the 9th fret.
    https://applink.reverb.com/item/12348566-ibanez-rgms8-multi-scale-8-string-electric-guitar-black

Jackson DKAF8 - If I had seen this guitar first, chances are I would have bought it over the Ibanez mainly because of the fan being horizontal at the 9th fret. It makes the pickups more easily replaceable, the neck just a tad more comfy and I liked the idea of re-staining the body a nice tobacco burst. Everything else between the 2 guitars is most likely similar the neck on the jackson I believe would be a bit beefier than the ibanez I owned a Jackson DKA7 in the past and I would say the neck is a bit thicker.
    https://applink.reverb.com/item/721...ky-dkaf8-ms-electric-guitar-8-string-mahogany

8. fps

fps Kit

Here's a dumb suggestion, but not necessarily a ridiculous one - have you considered just using an octave pedal with a 6? Doesn't sound like you massively enjoy 8s.

9. Kensei7

Kensei7 SS.org Regular

Not really. Just doesn't seem right? I actually do like 8s, there is just more going on than a 6 obviously and ive always reasoned whatever I can do on a 6, I can do on an 8 with a bit more practice.

fps likes this.
  10. Kensei7

Kensei7 SS.org Regular

Maybe I should just get a 7 lol

11. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

Boring answer: practice practice practice

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  12. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

My advice would be to tune the 8 in 4ths below the regular 6. So, the 8th string is F#, and the 7th is B. And don't "transpose down" all of your tunes so you're using the 8th string. People new to 8s tend to do that, and it just complicates it. Instead, still play everything you would normally play on a sixxer, but look at those two strings as additional. If you want to write new material using them, they're there. But if you're playing a Van Halen tune or something, just play it like you would normally on the higher strings.
    When you're versed in that, then you can experiment with dropped tuning on the lowest strings, and moving the major 3rd interval from the G-B strings to the D-G strings, making it a D-F#. Then you end up with a 7 string guitar with a higher string (which is a cool option).

Dahl likes this.
  13. Djentlover666

Djentlover666 Good case of the djents

Check out the harley Benton line on thomannmusic.com it's perfect for if you are unsure of extended range guitars and perfect for upgrading parts of you want. The have a fan fret 6,7, and 8. Get the deluxe ones. About $300-$400 u.s. dollars, and I believe shipping will be free. I don't know the exact weight but I believe free shipping is around 50 lbs. If you don't want a fan fret. The have a 27 inch scale 7 string as well.

14. Djentlover666

Djentlover666 Good case of the djents

They also have a money back guarantee as well. And don't trust reviews. Use your own opinion if you can afford to. I would recommend getting the fan fret 7 and just get a 80 or 85 gauge string and tune it to f# or f or e. Or just use open f tuning for ot. (That's my plan eventually) or drop b or drop c with a low f or low e. Use stringjoy.com for making your own custom set. Almost any gauge available from 8-90. And very easy to make.