Thoughts on upcoming Transformer Bay movie?

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by vejichan, Jun 15, 2017.

1. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I'm always tempted to watch these movies just so I can understand the fuss. I see a TON of bile directed at them, and I kind of wonder how they can be as bad as I hear. Also, I sorta want to run them through my sound system cause I bet they make some good clunks and crashes. :D

I don't think it's going to happen unless I find a blu-ray box set in a clearance bin somewhere for like five bucks!

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Sunbro

or you know... you could *cough* pirate them *cough*

3. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

Everyone will have a opinion but mine is, the franchise for me can be easily categorized as, "too much can be a bad thing". After watching the second Transformers movie, I come to realize that Michael Bay isn't going to tone down his movies. And I don't mean that as a bad and/or good thing for other viewers. I like to compare the Transformers franchise to the Alien franchise. If you show a little, it's awesome, and then something like Aliens (1986) comes out and you see them everywhere, it can somewhat lose it's mystique.

If anything, I would at least try and watch the first Transformers (2007) and just decide if you'd want to continue watching the others from there. :cool:

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Sunbro

I'd say stop watching after the second or third one. Those are tedious/painful to watch and everything thereafter is horrendously bad imo. Not even fun bad like Sharknado or Zombeavers, just bad. Same thing with the new TMNT movies, the first was tolerable and the second was godawful.

5. wankerness

Pirating isn't really an option with a decent sound system unless you want to download a 35 gigabyte file which probably has 0 seeds for older movies like these. People rip the DTS 5.1 tracks sometimes but never the lossless ones. As I get the impression the only appeal of these things is ridiculous sound/effects seeing them through major compression would defeat any purpose!

Oh, I believe all the reviews. I remember back at release, my favorite reviewer absolutely went off on a bender on the second one, I think it was the most annoyed he'd ever been with any movie. I was amused that with the new one he was like "it's awful, but it's so much less awful than some of the others that I am almost in a good mood about it!"

Yeah, I'm sure you're right, and I've had TONS of warning, it's just I've had SO much and I've read a lot of detailed plot element overviews about how stupid they are (ex, the fourth one evidently having one character deliver a straightforward defense of statutory rape?!?!). I was completely disinterested for a long time back when the masses still seemed to like them, but over time as the series has gotten more and more hated and people have looked back on the earlier ones with such hatred, I have started to think "anything THIS bad must be worth watching!!." It's kind of like how I just went through the entire Saw franchise cause I found the whole series for 5 bucks. Or how I have Manos the Hands of Fate on blu-ray. :p I'm like a bug to the bug zapper. They sound so bright and shiny....

I'll make sure to get them used and on clearance so I donate absolutely no money to the franchise!! The thing that makes me the most warmongering is China's taste in movies and how they're making us produce crappier and crappier movies just cause their people are so easily amused by our total garbage. STOP BEING SO DUMB, CHINESE MOVIEGOERS!!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  6. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

That's how I am with the Phantasm movies. Box office wise, none of them did very well. Cult classic? Absolutely. Block buster hit? Probably not. I mean, after the second one, the other 3 went straight to video/DVD. I didn't care, though. I would still watch Phantasm 5 if they told me Justin Bieber was in it.

Edit: I just found out that part 5 was in theaters. Probably select few.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    zappatton2 likes this.
  7. wankerness

The Phantasm movies are appealing for weird content, though, not just an eye/ear assault! The first two are pretty cool. The first especially was WILDLY creative and unlike anything else. I haven't seen it in several years, but I still clearly remember some images from it.

I saw the third when I was a kid and I remember thinking it was so bad that I will never watch it again, let alone the allegedly inferior follow-ups :D:D:D

8. wankerness

So...I watched the first 4 transformers movies, in blu-ray quality so I got the full annoying sound experience. I didn't hate them, probably cause of such severely lowered expectations. 3 and 4 actually had some entertaining sections. I especially liked the big building-slide setpiece in 3. I think if I was in a theater with the sound at deafening levels I would have had the s*** annoyed out of me by stuff like the huge evil ship's electro-magnet sound in 4, but with the sound just "loud" it was fine. They're obviously dumb as heck, and there's no way I'd pay to see them, but I'm glad to have experienced their dumbness.

The sexual politics are as terrible as everyone says, though. It's insane how leery they are. It's even funnier in part 4, where the character is 17 but her DAD says things like LOOKIN HOT and YOUR SHORTS ARE TOO SHORT and then the camera shows us just in case we didn't get it. Ah well.

I was most amused by the true insanity of part 3. I hope they had to pay Buzz Aldrin millions of dollars to get him to run his name through the muck like that. The fake JFK was jaw-dropping, too.

9. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

Like how they had scenes of Megan Fox bending over in both movies. Don't get me wrong. I think Megan is gorgeous but they were force feeding it.

10. wankerness

The hilarious introduction of her in 2 where she's painting a motorcycle in a position that NO ONE IN THE HISTORY OF MANKIND has ever used just to show off her curves and butt to the camera is referenced in practically every discussion I've ever seen of that movie. But, I found the first bunch of 3 to be even more ridiculous. It's a good thing that I saw Mad Max Fury Road before that one, or I might have had it tainted by the presence of Rosie. She's SO bad, but it's not like she had a chance! Best part is when her sleazoid boss is going on about how cars have the curves of the perfect woman and the camera goes in really tight on her legs and pans up to her tits and back down again. Ridiculous! Exploitation movies from the 70s were less sleazy. Haha.

11. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

so I tried to watch the new one. On the site I stream movies they had a link for it. Usually when its that new/quick its like a copy from some country in asia because comes with asian subtitles. Maybe the guy who operates a projector on a cinema ripoffs a copy. Eitherway it happen to be a camera on the cinema kinda thing, which was pretty dang decent, but meh. I dont know if it was because the quality of it (even that it was passable), but I lasted 5 minutes before a big NOPE and started watching something else instead.