Thoughts on upcoming Transformer Bay movie?

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by vejichan, Jun 15, 2017.

1. vejichan

vejichan SS.org Regular

Being a huge tf fan from G1 and just curious on tf fans here how they feel about all these TF bay movies. Sure they make millions. have a bunch of plot holes, focus too much on humans and have action scenes that you could barely make out what's going on.

zappatton2 likes this.
  2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

it looks horrendously bad. seriously, the first trailer I saw must have been pitched like "let's follow some middle schoolers around in a war zone and give girl power messages in a really stupid action movie "

3. MFB

MFB ExBendable

The original Bay Transformers film was fun, and something different from what I remember around that time. I remember leaving the theater, driving my shitty Subaru home and thinking "You sure you aren't a Transformer?" Alas, it wasn't.

Then T2, and 3, and 4, have come out and they've all gotten consistently worse. I remember watching Age of Extinction and it was 3 hours that felt like a lifetime. More robots, more needless characters added, and impossible to follow fight choreography.

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

exactly. I quit watching after the 3rd one (which I couldn't even sit through). TMNT is going down the same route with the first being kind of fun/watchable and the latest one being absolute garbage. At least he hasn't ruined Usagi Yojimbo yet.

5. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

The ONLY Transformers movie. The rest of those Michael Bay movies are just turds in a cereal bowl.

You got the touch... you got the power!

bostjan, zappatton2, sezna and 3 others like this.
  6. Duosphere

Duosphere (oYo) Lover

I just watch TF movies because of the effects. I love watching them fighting and destroying things. I expect nothing of the story or the characters that until today, only served to make me fast forward the movies for the parts that I like.

7. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

I remember when the synopsis first came out and I laughed that they're incorporating the King Arthur mythos to the movie.
    Then I found out they're serious... :ugh:

8. vejichan

vejichan SS.org Regular

The sad thing is..as much as we complain these bay tf movies will make millions worldwide. As long as they are making money Bay can just repeat the same movie over and over.. why change anything? I'll go as far as say Any movie names tf and has robots and cars will make millions regardles of director or the actor

Rosal76 likes this.
  9. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

They're reaching the point where no one in the US wants to see them, at least. The last one did pretty miserably in comparison to the previous few. It's just now reached the point of critical mass where no matter how badly it flops here, China will pay a shitload of money, it will still see a huge profit, and we'll be stuck with more and more sequels, getting progressively more and more directed at foreign markets.

See also: The Mummy

Maybe someday they'll stop releasing them here at all so we won't have to see trailers - that is what I'm hoping for!

10. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

They already did that in the original G1 cartoon. In the episode, "A Decepticon Raider in King Arthur's Court (aired in 1985)", some of the Autobots and Deceptions travel back to medieval times and duke it out with each other. The storyline is different from the movie but both have the medieval thing in common.

Decepticon, Rumble, speaking to a Knight in the cartoon.

[​IMG]

From what I have seen in all the Michael Bay movies and being a huge fan of the G1 cartoon, every movie reflected a storyline in the cartoon. Some big, some small. What Michael Bay is doing is not new because the basic storylines in his movies had already happened in the cartoon and/or the comics. It just cost him millions of dollars for his version. It not as ridiculous when's it a cartoon because it's not to be taken seriously but when it's a movie that cost millions, people tend to be more critical.

In the cartoon, there is a episode where a female human falls in love with a Autobot (Powerglide). Honest fun in a cartoon but can be straight up weird in a movie with real actors. :spock:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  11. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

I enjoy the movies but if Michael Bay really wants to stir some attention, he should make the next Transformers movie with Unicron. :agreed:

12. Bloody_Inferno

^ Dammit I should've remembered that Rumble Knight episode. Consider my face red. :wallbash:

However I do remember that Powerglide episode all too well. So well that it annoyed me so much when the writer recycled that plot verbatim for a TMNT episode. :lol:

Going back to Michael Bay's Transformers films, I've been thinking about how easy it is to jump on the hate bandwagon for a while now. It's an impulsive knee jerk reaction when his bad output outweighs his good (maybe 2 good movies), and I'm the first to put my hand up and admit to doing just that myself. But looking at the broader scope of things, the hate towards Bay himself gets harder to justify. Or I maybe just tired of getting arced up over a guy who makes 'fast food' movies.

The problem with adapting a Transformers film to live action is that, from the average viewer's point of view, there needs to be a relatable character. How do you relate to a Jesus Christ allegory that's also an alien robot that turns into a large truck? It's hard to write any of the actual transformers themselves into relatable figures, when the source material existed as shameless toy commercials. Spike was our point of relation in the original up to the point where he becomes a suit wearing transformer himself (the fantasy zenith), and I can understand why Shia LeBouf/Marky Mark and walking Barbie Doll dujour get more screen time than the title characters themselves, much to the movie's own detriment. Having said all that, everything I said above does not justify sloppy writing where every single human character is irritable at best.

I suppose I'm trying to justify my copy of the first Bay Transformers DVD with the Optimus Prime transforming case, or that I enjoyed Age Of Extinction much more than the first 3 movies combined.

And I just said that, I enjoyed Age Of Extinction. It's still Michael Bay fast food, but I liked it, terrible flaws and all. Also, I enjoyed Pain And Gain far more than I'm willing to admit, but I digress. Pleasing the Chinese/Asian market aside, AOE actually had far more plot than the first 3. It's still overlong and over bloated, but I found it more interesting. The Autobot designs look more vibrant this time around, Lockdown also looks pretty decent, and it's nice seeing John Goodman and Ken Watanabe doing some not so serious fun. There's less of the glorification of American military than usual for Bay too. And yeah, the Dinobots were fun. It's a fun dumb movie so to speak.

I'll probably will end up seeing The Last Knight at some point. Sure, it's going to be another Bay Transformers movie, sure I don't like Hot Rod's design, but I'm curious at seeing Sir Anthony Hopkins, more Dinobots and John Turturro playing not Jesus Quinterra once again. And the premise itself is on par with Age Of Extinction as already having more plot than the first 3.

Obviously I've got my expectations to nether low levels of course. :lol:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    setsuna7 likes this.
  13. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

No worries. The episodes are old and would be impossible for one to remember them all. I only remember them because I thought they were weird.

That's why I liked the G1 cartoon a little more. I enjoy the movies but the cartoon is the format on how I like for them to act. What I really liked, and I know I'm getting too deep into this, is that in the later seasons, some of the Decepticon combiner factions (primarily the Constructicons, Insecticons and Stunticons) started to do their own thing without being with the other Decepticons. In the first few seasons, both the Autobots and Decepticons were always together. Always talking about how to protect and/or take over the Earth. There was one episode where Megatron says, "where are the Stunticons???" And someone says, "they're probably out wrecking civilian cars". What I liked about that is that it showed that the Stunticons had some form on individualism, freedom if you will. Like they didn't always have to be at home base listening to Megatron's Earth domination plans all the time. Same thing with the Constructicons and Insecticons. The Constructs were sometimes building projects of their own and the Insecticons were always eating for some weird reason. For me, this gave those factions/individuals a little bit more identity/personality. Now, the Transformers that I really love, are the ones that have humor and the Decepticons that are sarcastic to one another. The humorous ones I can relate to. :agreed:

14. vejichan

vejichan SS.org Regular

back in the 80's, it would a dream to watch a live action TF movie. I give Bay all the credit he deserves for bringing TF back to us. Just wish that he would stay true to the G1 TF and lose the stupid unnecessary human jokes and focus more on the robots. Even though sitting thru 80% of each of these TF movies is torture.. that 20% of action pack action with the robots make it worth the price of admission.

15. Bloody_Inferno

So I somehow decided I wanted to kill a few brain cells and saw the movie.

Short story: It's the same flavour of terrible as the first 4 Transformers movies. I will say I liked it as much as I liked Age Of Extinction (maybe a bit more, possibly because it's 15-20 minutes shorter), but for me to choose which of these are good is like choosing between which shade of turd to be jammed down my gullet; baby yellow or nutty brown.

Everything that's bad about the previous films are obviously present here: movie is way too long and could lose at least an hour, very little focus on the Transformers themselves in favour of the humans and the military, clumsy plot, subplots that go absolutely nowhere, laughably bad dialogue, racist/sexist jokes, more stereotypes you can poke a stick at, product placement galore (yes lots of pandering to the Chinese market), lots of slow motion and a dude getting hit in the face with a car's tyre... a typical Michael Bay film if you will. So I'm going to try to point the good bits...

Like, AOE, there's a lot of plot here. It's still clumsy as hell with a central mcguffin, but I prefer some kind of plot over the nothingness of the first 3. But on the flipside it's mostly a metric ton of exposition dumps, and a large part of the second act is Sir Anthony Hopkins explaining the ridiculous amount of mythology so absurd even for a Transformers live action movie. But on the flipside (again), it's actually pretty fun seeing Sir Anthony Hopkins deliver a bunch of absurd stupid crap so convincingly well. Ok now I'm confused...

Another interesting plot point:

There's a big reveal that's taken directly out of Transformers Prime. As a guy raised on G1, I was too old to appreciate any of the canon post Beast Wars (that one only gets a pass purely because the presence of Starscream's ghost). Being taken from TF Prime didn't really faze me all too much, so I actually think that putting it in The Last Knight is really cool. The film does promise or threat (you decide) that they'll be expanding this plot... in the next movie(s) or so. Yep, even that plot point doesn't do much here.

Eh, whatever it's another Transformers movie, still better than Revenge Of The Fallen. Anyone who liked the movie series, will at least see this as one of the better ones, but for everybody else, the 80s TF movie is still the one good TF movie. But don't feel bad for spending money on this, China will be blowing this up the box office anyway. :lol:

16. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I think what has happened with TF and TMNT and GI Joe is merely a reflection of how vapid Hollywood has become. As a person who came of age in the 1990's and began to appreciate films in the late 90's and early 2000's, I learned to appreciate thought-provoking films like Memento, Fight Club, Dark City, etc. When I see a movie like Wonder Woman and think "well, it was better than I expected," but, on the other hand, note that it was overall just not that memorable, I have to kind of wonder what has happened to me. Have I grown to become desensitized to bad movies with lots of special effects?

The first Bay TF movie was pretty much that. Alright, but not that memorable. The only ground it broke, really, for me, was in the special effects department. The story, characters, etc., were good but not enough to stand out above the noise. The subsequent films were more about explosions and cool robot effects and tons of stuff flying around on the screen at the same time to make the viewer feel dizzy and progressively less about story and characters. For me, it's already exhausted its novelty, despite my affinity for 80's toys that change from cars into robots. Thankfully, it appears that plans last year to release a Voltron live action movie were not serious, nor were the plans from 2015 to release a Gobots live action movie.

17. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

:eek: !!!! never heard of that one and like you say thankfully it didnt happen!!, dont you mess with my Voltron!!:scream:

after the crapfest that TF became and TMNT, and with the recent turd that was Power Rangers and I wouldnt have much high hopes for a Voltron movie.

Having say that, go watch the new series take on Netfilx. Oh boi its sooooooo good. Couple of minor changes, but its done so well.

also I find funny that everyone always talk about Michael Bay absurd amount of explosions, sexist, sterotypes, flags, cheesiness, ect. But no-one mention the Main thing I find I hate most of him. His 2ft tall camera man!!! F#%^*!, is like he never heard of a tripod, every single shot has to be done with the camera at ground level shooting up. I can deal with explosions, but the constant tilt up shots I cant anymore

18. Bloody_Inferno

That was the JJ Abrams 'mystery box' shtick blown out of proportion on the first Cloverfield movie. The phrase on a teaser saying "I saw it! It's alive! It's huge!" was misheard as "I saw it! It's a lion! It's huge!" and the Voltron speculation spread like wildfire.

Good news, that's not as terrible on The Last Knight. It's like they realised they didn't have to force the hugeness of the Transformers by burying the camera into the ground whilst pointing up.

19. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

20. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

well at least with a Transformer it kinda works in is favour if you were trying to put a POV of a person, but the camera is even lower almost feet/knee hight. But he loves that style of shooting for people too all the time, mixed with a massive long (usually circular) dolly shot to go with, and tilting sideways the camera, Why??? I never get the apeal of tilting a camera for shot on a $$m dollar movie