Thoughts on the many reverb/echo modverb/shimmer/etc pedals

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by JediMasterThrash, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

Or maybe Devy’s crazy delau/reverb Ocean machine from Mooer

2. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

Or maybe Devy’s crazy delau/reverb Ocean machine from Mooer

3. JediMasterThrash

JediMasterThrash SS.org Regular

I've listened to so many u-tube videos I'm nauseous haha. I keep coming back to either the Meris Mercury 7 for its outthere sounds (and cathedral), the eventide space for it's can do everything. And also the digitech polara just for the low cost.

Some of the many pedals just don't have that strong of affect. Like they'e got the level/mix cranked up pretty high on the video but the effect (shimmer, modulation etc) is still pretty subtle. I definitely want something that can be cranked to absurd levels.

As I still try to figure out exactly what it is I want, i'm starting to think it's more of an echo than a reverb, so I've been looking at the equivalent delay machines. I think I'm actually starting to find the "Echoing off into the clouds" sound on something more like the strymon timeline "ice" setting. And then I Found the dual-delay options seem nail some things pretty well. (and i think multi-tap delays do things similar to dual-delays). And the strymon has the "smear" settings which I want, since I think I'm looking for that cross-over between reverb and delays, and smeared delays I think gets me there.

Then I just found the pigtronix echolution 2 ultra pro. And this is starting to sound like it's doing a lot of what I'm after.

KailM likes this.
  4. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

Earthghquaker devices Dispatch master - blurred delay with cavernous reverb?

4Eyes likes this.
  5. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

The Dispatch Master will do ambient/soundscape stuff for sure, but it's a pretty "normal" effect compared to a big-box Strymon or Eventide unit :2c:

The Timeline Ice mode can be a lot of fun, though I haven't played with the dual delay on it very much

6. BlasphemyMadeFlesh

BlasphemyMadeFlesh Buried in the mix.

It sounds like you may want to check out the Polymoon along with the Mercury 7. The Polymoon is a multi-tap delay pedal with smear where the delays feed into each other like old Eventide H3000 machines when guys used to loop them together to create cascaded pitch shifting delays. And believe me there is nothing subtle/weak about the Meris pedals... the Mercury 7 can blow up your speakers in ‘pitch down’ mode if you are not careful (and let it go into runaway self oscillation of sub-sub low end frequencies...)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  7. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Check out the EQD Afterneath if you haven't already. It has that kind of smeared delay/cascading repeats thing nailed. Sort of a cross between delay and reverb. It gets pretty crazy on its own, but I tend to set it for a more moderate sound and then stack it with a huge cathedral reverb from my TC HOF II. Together, they sound totally spacy and shimmery, with ambience that goes on for days. But it's not a shimmer like the sound achieved by stacking octaves. It's more like you're playing in a huge ice cave and the Afterneath is the sound of a thousand icecicles hitting the ground randomly.

8. JediMasterThrash

I'm currently cycling between the strymon timeline, pigtronix echolocution 2 ultra pro, polymoon, and source audio nemesis. The strymon really seams to have the best tone/sound, and does all the basics (ice, reverse, dual, modulation, and the smear), but I think it's lacking the short delays to create chorus-like effects.. The echolocution has real good 80's vibe with the lo-finess, bit crushing and warped vinyl delays, and plenty of pitch and mutitap and reverse options. There's some reports of high noise levels I'm worried about though.. Polymoon has the best pitch shifting options and the great dimension=smear. I tend to prefer a chorus-like mod over flanging for modulation though. The biggest drawback is missing a reverse mode.

The nemesis has the modulation, smear on the digital but it's not obvious if you can apply smear everywhere with the USB app, and reverse. The additional engines available via the app really expand what it can do beyond the 12 dial options on the device itself.

It's a hard choice. I feel the meris stuff is really something on it's own. Like I could get the polymoon+mercury7 and not necessarily overlap with another pedal. The nemesis is my current bet on probably hitting close to everything I'm looking for, assuming it can be turned up high enough to generate ambient.

9. JediMasterThrash