Thoughts on the many reverb/echo modverb/shimmer/etc pedals

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by JediMasterThrash, Jun 2, 2018.

1. JediMasterThrash

JediMasterThrash SS.org Regular

I've been down the rabbit whole trying to youtube research all these pedals. The last effect I'm trying to nail down is some kind of stereo 80's retro-wave ambiance that would probably come from some kind of modulated/shimmer reverb, possibly with echos.

I've looked at
    death by audio echo dream 2
    earthquaker rainbow machine
    both of those are more pitch + feedback based, an i think I can get close to those sounds already with my G-System.

Then we've got
    eventide space (or h9 which includes some of those reverbs)
    strymon big sky (doesn't do as much as space, but some feel it sounds more "organic" and less "sterile", whatever that means).
    dwarfcraft super wizard (a pairing of their pitch and echo pedals together, which I think ends up similar to the rainbow machine, but without the unicorns turned up to 11)
    digitech obscura
    digitech/hardwire supernatural (appears to be superceded by the obscura, even though obscura doesn't have all the modes)
    source Audio Ventris Dual Reverb

The Eventide Space seems to be an obvious winner. Especially since many of these boutique pedals run 300$ or 400$ anyway, why not just pay a little more and get a box that can recreate every sound from any of them. But there's also the benefit of having a simpler to use pedal that just does what you want it to real well, versus another pedal you have to tweak forever with a jillion settings.

The digitech obscura just seems to sound real well. It's modulated and halo(shimmer) modes seem to hit it, even though it can't do all the stuff an eventide or strymon can.

I just discovered the source audio ventris dual reverb. And this one actually seems to do something none of the others can (maybe the Eventide can not sure), which is to actually enable two different reverb types at the same time, and chose between running them in parallel or cascade or separate channels.

Anyone have experience with this class of pedals, and some suggestions or opinions?

[Edit: Forgot to mention, whichever pedal I pick for this needs to be stereo, since this is going at the end of my stereo FX chain. The digitech stuff is all stereo, as is the eventide, ventris, and strymon. Also, it doesn't really need to be a pedal for my case. The G-System already has footswitches to enable FX loops, and I'm already using a rack. So if it was rack mount or something else and same cost ballpark I'd be cool with that.]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  2. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

The T.C. Flashback with all its 'Tone-Print' capabilities will do what you need...small in size and relatively inexpensive.

Gmork likes this.
  3. Ludgate

Ludgate SS.org Regular

From your list, I've only tried (and still have one on my pedalboard) the Eventide Space. It is more user-friendly than it looks, but it can also be a tweaker's dream. FWIW, it has quelled my GAS for Reverb pedals permanently.

4. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

What about the empress reverb or echo station?

5. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I love my Big Sky to death. Best around for ambient sounds as far as I'm concerned, though I've never tried an Eventide Space or Empress. I had a Timefactor briefly and didn't like the control layout or switching. Cloud, Bloom, Chorale, and Shimmer modes on the Big Sky are all you'd ever need to make huge space sounds. I've never played or heard anything quite like the Chorale or Cloud modes especially.

I actually preferred the Shimmer setting on the Boss RV-500 to the Big Sky, but that's not a sound I use a lot and the overall controls and editing weren't something I wanted to dive into since I preferred the Strymon overall anyway. The RV will get you where you want to go, though, and it also has a dual mode like the Ventris :2c: much cheaper than a Strymon unit as well, fwiw.

At least on shimmer settings, I've found that the budget options (Hall of Fame 2, Supernatural, ShimVerb, etc.) all sound pretty cheesy, at least in user demos. I feel like that's the kind of sound that really requires all of the editing options of the bigger units, or at least the Toneprint editor in the case of the TC pedals.

cwhitey2 likes this.
  6. wedge_destroyer

wedge_destroyer SS.org Regular

Well since you are in a rack, I can actually point you toward something, as I don't use pedal verb, I use an m350 myself.

First I would say look into the TC Electronic M1 XL, it's a dual engine so you can blend chorus or whatever to get your modulation right. Or one of the older Lexicon might work better for you. Try to call your local audio companies, many have switched to digital boards and have extra processing just sitting.

7. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I agree that most demos of budget pedals sound cheesy. They are either dialing the effect in too intensely or the cheese indeed can't be dialed out. :lol:

That said, I love my Hall of Fame II's shimmer. Yes, it can get ridiculous, but I find that if I back off on the tone setting it becomes a lot more subtle and natural sounding. In the toneprint editor you can really get in and design something awesome. Ultimately I don't use shimmer that often so I haven't gone much beyond the stock preset. That pedal is absolutely amazing for the price. I do stack it with my Flashback and EQD Afterneath though and that's where the real fun begins.

If I had the money though, yeah, I'd buy an Eventide Space.

8. BurningRome

BurningRome SS.org Regular

Look at the Meris line up. Just got their Polymoon Delay last night and will be trying it but everything I've seen online does what you are looking for.

BlasphemyMadeFlesh likes this.
  9. newamerikangospel

newamerikangospel Tonight.......you

There was a mode on one of the electro harmonix reverbs called "flerb" which was really, really cool. It was a one trick pony, but it was a pretty cheap pedal if I remember correctly.

10. oracles

oracles Australian in Canada

The Eventide Space is by far the best, it absolutely killed my interest in any other reverb and tweaking is simple.

11. sevenfoxes

sevenfoxes SS.org Regular

Obscura? Do you mean Polara? I believe that's based of a Lexicon reverb.

Anyways, I've owned pretty much every mainstream reverb pedal at one time or another, and my favorite shimmer reverb is the Neunaber Seraphim. It's great, because it also has the WET algo. in it as well.

My least favorite was the HOF 2. I'm not a big fan of TC stuff in general though.

12. BlasphemyMadeFlesh

BlasphemyMadeFlesh Buried in the mix.

Meris Mercury 7 if you like weird reverb and atmospheres, it is just like the description says, based of the Blade Runner soundtrack which featured the giant Lexicon 224 "digital reverberator"
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Some of the most disturbed, weirdest and downright apocalyptic sounds can be conjured up, most involving reverb + pitch modulation. Also, great sounding shimmer and conventional plate, or hall reverb.

cwhitey2 likes this.
  13. JediMasterThrash

I might have to give that Meris more thought. It seems to be designed more for just the sci-fi sounds I'm after. And since I have the ottobit no the way, I'm a bit more familiar with the alt-control and midi now.

14. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Except it takes forever (in comparison) to load the next preset which makes it a bit less ideal for live use.

The space is cool but we found that the other multi reverbs did more sounds to a better degree.

15. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

Hell, I have a Big Sky and I want one of these :lol:

16. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

Big Sky ans Time Line combo is unbeatable imho. I LOVE ’em. Connected via MiDIare great for fast changes of presets. My fav is Cloud reverb and dtape or dual delay. On the TL You can set the delays to get more and more filtered/altered/distorted/modulated.

TheWarAgainstTime likes this.
  17. JediMasterThrash

Definitely looking for the strange unique sounds. I'd rather have something that just did one or two 80's scifi supernatural verbs that something with a great plate/spring/hall reverb. It seems everyone has shimmer and most of some kind of modulated or reverse reverb. But looking for something that kind hit some interesting sounds beyond those basics.

18. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Ive gone down a bit if a rabbit hole myself chasing after spooky haunting type verbs and am planning on getting the tc hall of fame V2 and tc flashback V2 literally tomorrow!
    They each have 3 spots for custom toneprints! And both are stereo!

I plan on being very pleased! Lol
    Good luck with the hunt!

BlasphemyMadeFlesh likes this.
  19. Sollipsist

Sollipsist SS.org Regular

I've got a stereo path with the Donner Ultimate Delay running into a DigiTech Supernatural - lots of delay/verb craziness potential, many hours of fun experimentation... but I don't necessarily recommend either one.

The Donner is typical Donner - when it works, it's pretty awesome. It's got good basic digital, analog, ping pong and tape delay, plus bit crusher, modulated and pitch shifted repeats. Tap tempo, trails control, even a looper... but sometimes it just doesn't feel like working in stereo, and it's been noisy no matter what power source I use (no battery option, although I did rig up a 9v clip - which was quieter, but burned through batteries). Oh well, it was worth what I paid for it.

The Supernatural is more reliable, but also finicky about power supplies and burns through batteries. And it's verbs are both really nice and also kinda artificial - the plate and spring are generally useful, but the interesting sounds (shimmer, bloom, supernova) do have a bit of that 80s digital multiFX cheesiness to them.

With the two of them working together, I've had a lot of spacey ambient shoegaze fun. But not a lot of it was up to recording quality, and I'd certainly never take it on the road (maybe the Supernatural. Maybe).

20. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

for something simple and small I have the Neunaber seraphim . it does a really good shimmer thing and you can turn off the shimmer sound and it makes a really nice reverb.I use it as a reverb way more than shimmer .in fact I harldey ever use the shimmer now. it feels a little over done