Thoughts on NK guitars?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by ChugThisBoy, Apr 15, 2019.

1. ChugThisBoy

ChugThisBoy SS.org Regular

I didn't found thread like this (if there is one already, please delete).
    Any honest opinions? I'm thinking about getting an seven string from them, preferably from 2018 or 2019. Cany anyone share their opinions about the brand and build quality?

2. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

They are a cheap Chinese brand. If you buy a guitar from them and expect more than that you'll be disappointed.

That said, those who have bought one of the headless models here have generally had good experiences.

AdenM and LeviathanKiller like this.
  3. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

4. gunch

gunch chungus

Mine is good functionally (fretwork and hardware) but it has several finish flaws that pickier people probably would get super mad at

Also as far as I can tell none of their 7 strings have the newer, more Boden-esque bridge system, yet.

5. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

Oh yeah. I forgot to write that boden/T4M-style bridge is the way to go.

6. ChugThisBoy

Can you post a picture of it? I can't really tell which one is which

7. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

It is in the link i posted above :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

8. ChugThisBoy

Ah, thanks. I'm at work rn and don't really have time to check out the link you posted.
    Strangely I saw an axe from them with fanned frets but the bridge saddles were straight and that left me confused

9. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

No problem, mate.

10. zarg

zarg SS.org Regular

I have one too and I'm very happy with it. You will get the headless experience but it wont have special things like a chambered body or a special neck shape. It is still pretty damn light and nicely balanced. The pickups (as mentioned before) are pretty much garbage and should be swapped right away. Fretwork is alright, but I took a couple hours to file down and round off the fret ends. I have the natural one, so no finish flaws there. Quality of the wood is very nice too, although the blue one that fellow ss.org Member Wolfhorsky got has badly matched woods on the back.
    Other than that you get great build quality, tuning stability and functionality.
    if you want pics, my thread got closed because of discussions on whether its morally acceptable to order a knock off of an existing design or not, but the pictures are still there: http://sevenstring.org/threads/ngd-headless-from-china.334257/

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  11. ChugThisBoy

Thanks for the input! My biggest concern would be when I buy it, change pickups and get it set by the tech, the costs will be equal or higher than buying used Ibby from late 90's (like 7420 or so) and still left me disappointed.

12. gunch

gunch chungus

I'll tell you straight up if NK made a 7 with a T4M bridge I'd prefer it over a 7420/7620 just for my needs.

But if you need a 7 now and don't want to wait for them to do a 7 with a T4M go with a 7420/7620

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  13. 777timesgod

777timesgod Stop reading this...I said stop!

Isn't the main reason for going the way of NK to get a new fanned guitar (Strandberg style) for a lower cost? If you are between an Ibanez 7420 and the NKs, then you have way more choices in the 7 string lane.

14. BananaDemocracy

BananaDemocracy What REPUBLIC?!?

So what would be a far comparison then? To the Fujiyen late 90's RG's? If so, count me in for a 7 or 8 string! Anyone else customize and purchase

15. gunch

gunch chungus

Oh fuck no That's not what I was getting at at all. Quality-wise a MIJ 90's RG will crush these, it's just a headless with decent-ish hardware and play ability at the cost of poopy artech pickups and some finish boogers. That was a fair enough trade-off to me to get one and I am a vain shallow asshole and wanted a headless

Wolfhorsky and BananaDemocracy like this.
  16. Empryrean

Empryrean Plucks strings

Got one a while back and I agree with the sentiments here. Solid little guitar if you put in the work to fix the minor problems like bad frets and electronics. the model I picked up was the old bridge, and while it isn't completely terrible, I really wish I would have waited and got one of the newer bridges. Definitely a good pick up swap to make it sing, I mostly got mine for the ergonomics (to try out a headless guitar) and found myself playing it more than some of my other guitars because it sat comfortably in classical position while on my computer chair, whereas all my other guitars would be hitting the armrest. That being said, don't expect the same MIK quality you'd find on ESP/LTD instruments or PRS SE guitars.

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  17. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

Yeah, „suddenly” all other guitars are huge, bulky and awkward..
    BTW mine has no visible finish flaws. Maybe they step up the game or sth. The new bridge is really great.