Thinking of getting a crossover nylon string guitar

Discussion in 'Jazz, Acoustic, Classical & Fingerstyle' started by pfizer, Sep 13, 2018.

Which guitar should I get?

1. Taylor 312-CE Nylon

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Cordoba Fusion 14

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. pfizer

pfizer SS.org Regular

Hey guys, hoping for some help.

I'm thinking of buying a nylon string guitar with a slim neck -- I already have a steel-string Taylor and I'm thinking of buying a Taylor 312-CeN.

However, I've also heard good things about Cordoba guitars and I'm interested in their Cordoba Fusion 14 model.

Any advice on what I should get?

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Taylor is always the best option. :cool:

3. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula Indeed.

Taylors are significantly better-built than Cordobas in my experience. I would still try to play one first though, as their expression system electronics are not for everyone. I actually prefer their older Fishman electronics for anything but solo situations...

4. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

The Cordoba doesn't even cost half of the Taylor. You should compare guitars at least in the same league. That said, I personally wouldn't ever spend a thought about getting a Taylor when it comes to classical guitars. And you could probably give "real" classical guitars a chance, you'll get used to the wide/flat ferret quickly...

5. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula Indeed.

This brings up a good point. Though the Taylor is more immediately playable for someone coming from electric/steel string and works great plugged in, you can get better unplugged tone from a real classical at a fraction of the Taylor cost.

When I started studying classical, the first nice nylon-string I got was a Taylor NS72ce. Honestly, it was a mistake. Though the "crossover" neck makes for an easy transition, the narrower string spacing actually makes some classical repertoire harder to play, especially if you have fat fingertips like me. And though the Taylors sound pretty good acoustically considering their reduced size, a real classical guitar can sound much better for less. My current main classical was about half as expensive as the Taylor and outperforms it in power, clarity and character. And though the neck is wider, it is really no harder to play.

If you really only need a crossover for plugged-in situations, the Taylor is a very good quality instrument and will be reliable. But in my opinion, it will limit you if you want to play legit classical music or record with a microphone.

Also worth considering is that the quality of the Taylor over a cheaper crossover may not be immediately apparent in a live mix. I've been using a Cordoba GK studio in most plugged-in situations and it honestly sounds just fine. The Fishman Presys electronics it comes with sound quite good, and I worry much less about anything happening to the guitar since it cost about a fourth as much.

Given To Fly likes this.
  6. NateFalcon

NateFalcon SS.org Regular

Carvin and (gulp, now Kiesel)
    makes killer nylon electric neck-thru’s that are pretty cool...not acoustic but I found tons of stuff to do with mine EF44CA3C-176E-4202-A715-3EDF7FA98CB2.jpeg D536A129-F147-4766-83A5-F73B41DDBB99.jpeg

7. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

For what it's worth, that kiesel model is not neck through, and a chunk of that model's cost is in the synth access Electronics system, in addition to the normal Piezo pickup and preamp... so unless you're plugging into even more equipment for Midi instruments, it's definitely Overkill. I definitely miss their cl450 model... But maybe it would still be around if I had ever gotten off my ass and bought one.